Schwartz nails it- Looking in the mirror

So he's calling for all of us to be fair-weather fans? I'm mad as hell about what's going on right now with the program but I won't stop going to or watching games. Why? Because I'm a fan of Iowa and not a specific coach. I grew to detest Alford and got tired of Lickliter but I watched every game and went to those that I could. You support the players and the school. It's the AD's job to hold the coach accountable and not the fans. That article was pure horsecrap and the author knows it. Iowa is able to go to certain bowls because their fans are so loyal. Asking them to turn into fans from other schools who turn their back on teams is embarrassing.

QCH, his point is that fans DO have, and CAN control what happens. By verbalizing your displeasure, by not paying to go to games, or buying another hat or jersey, or t-shirt, the folks in control will hear. Gary Barta will look at a 1/4 empty Kinnick and understand; just like he did with Lick.

Drawing a line in the sand and saying: "I will not take this anymore" is not fair weather. In fact, it is a boatload harder than continuing forward as a lemming over the cliff. The fans have the power to make an impactful statement. See Iowa basketball.

As a Sox fan, I have thrown this out with the Cubs over the years. Sox fans will not attend unless the team is good, and that mentality drove Kenny Williams to gut the farm system in trades to try to win each year.....they were competitive but never did reach the World Series again after 2005. Sox have had 7 consecutive years of declining attendance, and they have not magically started to win. Cubs fans have lagged a bit recently,but still come in numbers that allow the Cubs to re-build their farm system and now are on the verge of being contenders in the next few years.

Fans staying away might cause a change, but that change does not mean the team will be better. Then you have a dismal program that struggles to recruit even at the current level. Is this truly a sure-fire approach to improving the program?

I think it is an easy column to write this week...and will get kudos....but not seriously a way to improve the program.

JHHawk, if you have a crystal ball and can let us know how to improve this program, please share. Mind you, this program absolutely needs, no, requires improvement. How can we get our HC to bring his philosophy into the 21st century? How can we help him with his game planning, or his in-game management or clock management? How do we convince him that it takes more than a fullback at tailback to win in the B1G? How do we make him see that "speed kills" (surprisingly, there is plenty of footage showing how that kills us and, in fact, is the reason for the style of defense he wants to play) and when you have it, USE IT?! Why do we have KMM and MV playing and DW and Powell sitting on the sidelines? Because they aren't the greatest downfield blockers? Send them on go patterns, that is as good as a down field block. Playing young talent, if they are the best at a position, is worth growing pains.

Fans have the power of the pocketbook. However, many don't realize that. I'm not afraid of wanting change to break this cycle. I'd rather try to become the Red Sox and risk becoming the White Sox. Hell, we're already the Cubs; the fall wouldn't be that far.

JHHawk, if you have a crystal ball and can let us know how to improve this program, please share. Mind you, this program absolutely needs, no, requires improvement. How can we get our HC to bring his philosophy into the 21st century? How can we help him with his game planning, or his in-game management or clock management? How do we convince him that it takes more than a fullback at tailback to win in the B1G? How do we make him see that "speed kills" (surprisingly, there is plenty of footage showing how that kills us and, in fact, is the reason for the style of defense he wants to play) and when you have it, USE IT?! Why do we have KMM and MV playing and DW and Powell sitting on the sidelines? Because they aren't the greatest downfield blockers? Send them on go patterns, that is as good as a down field block. Playing young talent, if they are the best at a position, is worth growing pains.

Fans have the power of the pocketbook. However, many don't realize that. I'm not afraid of wanting change to break this cycle. I'd rather try to become the Red Sox and risk becoming the White Sox. Hell, we're already the Cubs; the fall wouldn't be that far.
According to Captain, they are still learning the playbook. It's complicated, you know.

There is truth to the fact that the fans are a part of the issue. As was well stated in a recent Hlas podcast with Patrick Vint of BHGP we are a regional program where primarily fans are happy with 7-5 / 8-4 type years. So here we are living among the most noted national programs in the revenue arena (recent WSJ article has us #11 nationally) but pretty content to reach Outback bowl type rewards. When your AD & head coach are content to continue to play MAC level or below non-conf games, refuse neutral sites for a bigger non-conf match ups, continue to hold on to the ISU series, etc. you know the leadership is happy with the regional label as well.

Some fans think we can do better with different leadership.

We need to quit being ok with KF saying "all I know is we didn't score 24 and we gave up 1 more than 16 " crap he spouts. Look he resurrected the program much like Hayden the FANBASE is and always will be grateful. It's the mindset of guaranteed lifetime contract type stuff that Barta is in favor of. I'd rather see a stout 3-4 year deal that then escalates in 1 year increases based on how things are going so the carrot is always out there...and more $$$ benefits for the Assistants who can freaking RECRUIT!

KF's excuses MUST stop though....it's demeaning to intelligent loyal fans to just say that since you haven't coached your opinion means ZIP. A lot of us played at some level and understand complementary play calling, exploit the defensive system you know the other team plays. These are NOT new concepts regardless.

Latest posts