Schwartz article on Season ticket drop

ferentz4life

Remember at the end of last season when he predicted people would renew their tickets even though they said they wouldn't? Guess he and Barta overestimated how long people would put up with a mediocre product.

Thanks. I read it and I read the other Schwartz article about Fans and TV which does focus the point on TV revenue increasing so much that losing a 1000 tickets a game isnt a big monetary deal. But the article also said that at this time season ticket renewals are off by 8000, 30000 now to 38000 last year.

That is a lot of empty seats and doesnt look good on TV. Nothing worse on TV than a bowl game or NCAA bball tourney game with lots of empty seats.

Now if new ticket sales are not there and the hawks have their usual slow to poor september start then you might see 15K-20000 empty seats and then that starts to hurt. Does not help what is already weak recruiting.

I hope I am wrong, from what I have heard the linebackers are looking better and faster, and I think the defense might be better. Get the darn offense working and I think the hawks will surprise.

If D is better and CJ can find his receivers and the receivers catch the ball, we might be fairly good next year. Not betting on it, but....maybe.

If D is better and CJ can find his receivers and the receivers catch the ball, we might be fairly good next year. Not betting on it, but....maybe.

The D will be better, but you are not exactly rolling out the '09 defense......the O is gonna have to score some points. At this point I have completely lost faith in Iowa being an offense that can consistently put up points. You will get flashes here and there.........my guess is you will get pretty much what you have seen the last 16 years.

At this point, I think the only thing that saves kfootball beyond 2015 is a 9 or 10 win season. But, he has a 5-7 win roster. I do get the impression that GB (if he truly doesn't believe it he has at least adopted it as truth) feels the fans have spoken enough for him to start making decisions. His comments are soft comments but they really do say "we need change" and either he is first to go or kfootball is.

The D will be better, but you are not exactly rolling out the '09 defense......the O is gonna have to score some points. At this point I have completely lost faith in Iowa being an offense that can consistently put up points. You will get flashes here and there.........my guess is you will get pretty much what you have seen the last 16 years.

Lol, Ya think.

Iowa fans are creeping towards ISU fan levels with some of their unfounded optimism.

This program will be the same thing as usual until the head coach changes.

Now if new ticket sales are not there and the hawks have their usual slow to poor september start then you might see 15K-20000 empty seats and then that starts to hurt. Does not help what is already weak recruiting.

Winning and having a full stadium does help recruiting. I think a new/younger coach would also help recruiting. I do think fans need to be realistic to the whims of 18-20 year old kids and realize that talented players aren't going to sit on the bench at Iowa for three years waiting to play, they will at OSU, they will at Alabama, not at Iowa.

The best players in a state typically stay in the state or go to another school out of state with a higher prestige then their in state institutions(which we aren't). If we are going into a state to get the left overs we have our pick of talented athletes with character or academic issues or marginal athletes with great character and academics. After the early sucess KF had he spent a few years going after and getting the talented athletes with character issues. He then got burnt enough times doing that that he went almost exclusively to the latter. Since the rhabdo incident, the team doesn't seem to do the same job of "coaching up" these players in the weight room as they did in the early 2000's. Hence the product on the field the last few years.

That is the problem a lot of if's, but's and what's with this program. Unacceptable for a head coach that had been at the helm all this time. It's been too many years of this what if stuff.

Sixteen years is a pretty small sample size to judge a coach by. I've read somewhere that twenty-five years is the ideal sample size. I think I read that in a magazine called Bartanomics. :(

LOL...........at the Barta critics.

IOWA Women's Hoop has best year in 2 decades.
IOWA MEN's Hoop is back in the National conversation and just got tourney win
IOWA Wrestling really struggling...........2nd place in Nation..........unreal expectations
IOWA Baseball on a meteroric RISE.............

Not interested ??
Call Jamey Pullard, then

This is something that I have already noticed. Since the increase in television viewership because of more programming and HD programing the revenues would increase in those areas. The profit model of the Athletic department should reflect this. The economy does not help this either. High ticket prices are a major hurdle to many people that would otherwise attend games live. It should also be a goal to have every game be a sell out or close to it. To this end the athletic department should take a portion of the increase television revenue to offset efforts to fill the stadium. This is money that previously would have been ticket revenue. Successful business do this often when the market changes, they get the revenue where they are able to. It is time to add more discount programs. I would start with students. Iowa should have a lot more students at the games, fill the end lines with as many as possible, and let them get in cheap. Also explore other ways to get people in! This would increase the home field advantage. In some of the years prior to 2006 Iowa would not lose any games at home in part because of the home field advantage of having a stadium packed with Iowa fans. Fill it up again in the same way with discount programs and get that type of home field advantage back!

IOWA Wrestling really struggling...........2nd place in Nation..........unreal expectations

Not interested ??
Call Jamey Pullard, then

The two most important sports:

1. Football. Not in Top 25 in over 5 years. Numerous other problems that have been documented repeatedly over those 5 years.

2. Basketball. Better, but I wouldn't be crowing about the FIRST NCAA TOURNEY WIN SINCE THE YEAR 2000.

Baseball, wrestling, women's bb. Meh. Niche non-revenue generating sports that are pretty much ignored by the vast majority.

So, LOL at you.

Last edited:
The wrestling program to generate net revenue this year. They were on TV a lot, and that will only increase.

Not interested ??
Call Jamey Pullard, then

Women's hoops, been in the tourney nearly every year since BOWLSBY hired Bluder. Barta gets zero credit.

Men's bball 1 tourney win. Definitely improving but hardly a powerhouse. (BTW it was Barta who hired the trainwreck named Lickliter that destroyed the program)

Iowa Wrestling has always been great...are you really oblivious to that? I think a guy named Gable deserves the credit.

Baseball's resurgence...great. But far from a major sport.

Football drives the engine, and he couldn't have done much worse in that area. KFz's open-ended contract and the neutering of the game day experience has killed the product.

And spare me the "he's a great fundraiser" angle. Money hasn't been a problem @ IOWA since Hayden shifted the culture 35 years ago. The rehab of Kinnick and plans for a new practice facility were well into planning before anybody in Iowa City had every heard of Gary Barta.

Many called Bowlsby "a suit". Barta is a suit with no ballz. And since you brought up Pollard...much as he acts like a tool, you could argue he's done better than Barta. Fred has Hilton rocking, depite a pathetic football team they're rehabbing the stadium (how DO you raise money to polish a turd?) Pollard's program is way above Barta's in the Sears cup standings. And yeah... somehow Pollard's clown of a football coach has won 3 out of the last 4 against our top 10 compensated guy.

Mason is gone. Barta needs to be next. The final step will take care of itself after that.

Last edited:
I'm guessing this is a 5 to 7 win team in 2015. Barta then has a big decision to make on Ferentz. I'm guessing Ferentz is gone after this fall unless Iowa wins at least 8 games and wins at least 2 trophy games

If, as another thread has proposed, ISU sells more season tickets than Iowa... Barta and Ferentz should both be gone. Immediately

Latest posts