Schwab

Congrats to Doug, this is great for wrestling in the state of Iowa. Does anyone think we will see any reserve wrestlers from Iowa join him at UNI?

Iowa will continue to be Iowa.....I wonder if this has the possibility of hurting ISU's recruiting of Iowa kids

Iowa will continue to be Iowa.....I wonder if this has the possibility of hurting ISU's recruiting of Iowa kids

It has the possibility of hurting both programs. Yeah Iowa will still get theirs but Doug will not back off a recruit because Tom has already been in the kitchen. Least that's my thoughts.

i don't think you will see kids going with him. not saying they wouldn't but its not like nobody is staying back, you lose schwab but you leave brands brands zadick ect ect GABLE????
Doug is great but he doesnt match all those.

I lived in Cedar Falls during the Briggs era. I know alot of old UNI wrestling boosters who despised Mark Schwab. The story was that when Briggs gave the assistant head coach position to Greenley instead of Mark, he blew the whistle on Briggs paying for a plane ticket for a wrestler to get home for a funeral. In turn UNI had some problems with the NCAA. Now you would have to assume that Mark is going to be returning to CF.

But winning a couple duals... scratch that. But winning some matches should heal those wounds quickly.

Congrats to Doug, this is great for wrestling in the state of Iowa. Does anyone think we will see any reserve wrestlers from Iowa join him at UNI?

Doug is not going to burn bridges by trying to raid the Iowa team for wrestlers. That would be a bad move on many levels.

While this hurts due to my wife getting to know Allyson pretty well this year at the Hawk parties, this is a GREAT hire for UNI. He will push the recruiting here in Iowa to a whole new level. Also have heard that there will be a instate tourny next year that is inviting teams from out of the state in Waterloo and this will help him with his out of state recruiting also. Look for UNI to be a major player in a few years!! Congrats to the Schwab family!!!

It has the possibility of hurting both programs. Yeah Iowa will still get theirs but Doug will not back off a recruit because Tom has already been in the kitchen. Least that's my thoughts.

I disagree a bit with this. I'm sure there will be some shared interest in recruits but he will end up spending a lot of time and money from the recruiting fund for nothing if he tries to duke it out with the Hawks for kids they really want. He could win some but will have to over spend and I feel it would be a less than fruitfull strategy. I do feel he can dip into the ISU goodies with better success though.

I disagree a bit with this. I'm sure there will be some shared interest in recruits but he will end up spending a lot of time and money from the recruiting fund for nothing if he tries to duke it out with the Hawks for kids they really want. He could win some but will have to over spend and I feel it would be a less than fruitfull strategy. I do feel he can dip into the ISU goodies with better success though.

You are a true hawk fan. Recruiting against Iowa will be a waste of money but against ISU he will do damage. Bet Doug won't feel that way is all I'm saying.

Pin might be right. If you were a high schooler picking between a little money to go to UNI or a couple athletic grants to wrestle at Wartburg, I think a lot people in wrestling would have steered kids to Wartburg as opposed to the CF train wreck. That has changed for now though.

Pin might be right. If you were a high schooler picking between a little money to go to UNI or a couple athletic grants to wrestle at Wartburg, I think a lot people in wrestling would have steered kids to Wartburg as opposed to the CF train wreck. That has changed for now though.

I was actually joking about the propensity of certain D3 programs to benefit from guys leaving D1 programs (Augsburg and Wartburg come to mind).

This is such a great move for Doug. First off, there is no where to go but up. The place is a grease fire right now, but there are PLENTY of studs around the midwest that would love to wrestle for Doug. I think he could turn that program into a Central Michigan type success very quickly. It'd look great on his resume and would help him make a jump into a bigtime job down the road (i.e. Wisconsin, Okla, Mich, etc.) not that those jobs are open, just examples.

if i was at iowa and couldn't wrestle i would go to wartburg instead of uni to be apart of a winning team if i was wanting to stay in state

if i was at iowa and couldn't wrestle i would go to wartburg instead of uni to be apart of a winning team if i was wanting to stay in state

and you wouldn't have to sit if not released, and you can just wrestle second semesters and continue on for another 10 or 12 years. :)

Latest posts