Schofield from Tennessee doesn't care for Iowa

EstronHawkKing

COLUMBUS, Ohio — Apparently Admiral Schofield doesn’t like Iowa.

For anyone searching for interesting subplots heading into Tennessee’s second-round NCAA Tournament against the Hawkeyes on Sunday at Nationwide Arena, there’s one.

Schofield has his reasons, at least in his mind.

The 6-foot-6, 241-pound, All-SEC senior wing has fully embraced — and been fully embraced by — the Southeastern United States, but he grew up in the Chicago area, right in the heart of Big Ten country, and he played AAU ball against several of Iowa’s players.

It goes back even further than that, though.

Schofield’s older brother — former Arizona Cardinals, Atlanta Falcons and Seattle Seahawks edge rusher O’Brien Schofield — was an All-Big standout at Wisconsin, which doesn’t have much love for conference rival Iowa.

Putting it subtly, Schofield doesn’t have much love for Iowa.

9130644.jpeg

Tennessee senior wing Admiral Schofield (Photo: Elsa, Getty)
“I grew up watching Iowa basketball and playing AAU against the Iowa Barnstormers, and most of the time they recruit those guys, and they kind of keep it in-state,” Schofield said after Friday’s first-round win over Colgate. “I’m looking forward to competing against ‘em. I just really am.

“My brother played at Wisconsin, so we never liked Iowa, anyway.”

Schofield — never one to hide his emotions or his thoughts — said Iowa’s players “had a lot to say” to Tennessee’s players moments before the Hawkeyes’ win over Cincinnati and before the Vols’ win over the Raiders.

The lockers for all eight teams in this first-round pod site are next to each other — within feet, in some cases — so there’s always the possibility of teams bumping into each other in the tunnel between games or halftime breaks.

Iowa’s players clearly did something to raise Schofield’s antenna — but, in fairness to the Hawkeyes, Schofield keeps that antenna locked and loaded most of the time.

“Even when we were in the tunnel today, they had a lot of say coming off the floor,” said Schofield, who led the Vols on Friday with 19 points and hit three 3-point daggers down the stretch. “So, yeah, I’m excited to play ‘em.”

Pressed for details, Schofield suggested it wasn’t as much about what Iowa’s players said, but how they said it.

“They just kept saying, ‘Yeaaaaaaah,’” Schofield said. “It was almost like they knew we were gonna win, that type thing, and they’re ready to see us. We’ve still got one day in between, but I’m excited.

"I like when people talk.”

9131074.jpeg

(Photo: Rick Osentoski, USA TODAY Sports)

This guy sounds like a psychopath. “They were saying Yeaaaaah!, but it’s the way they said it!”

What in the absolute hell?

I haven't forgotten the butt kicking the Vols laid on us in that bowl game about 4-5 years ago. F the SEC!!
Yeah I'm just hoping they don't lay an absolute butt whipping on us today. The last 6 games yesterday make me highly highly concerned. Not sure what's wrong with Cook but he has been "not himself" for about a month now which is why I think that comeback against Cincinnati on that stage was meaningful for this Iowa team regardless of outcome today. Honestly Tyler should stay and enjoy playing out his senior season at Iowa...he's just not NBA material at this time and with Toussant coming in and TC back next year with Patrick coming in good lord would we have depth...perhaps too much.