Scherff

He looked like a freshman a couple times, but had a few nice blocks too.

He'll be a good one down the road, but he's just a RS freshman. As is Carl Davis, and KMM. A lot of youth of there today.

Scherff had a concussion in Fall camp - that is why he had to sit out the mandatory 2 games. He has since had a stinger.

I think he'll see a lot of playing days in his career, barring injury. Very athletic 6'6", 310#.

Carl Davis took on 2 blockers on several plays freeing the LBer to make the play. That kid needs to be on the field.

MacMillan comes back next week. Davis should develop before B1G. Hyde is back where he belongs. Alvis is where he belongs. Hitchens stepped in and now Iowa has the fastest LB's in the conference.

+1 Things look so much better after a win, and to think just a few days ago people were freaking out because "there are too many walk-ons on the 2-deep!

FWIW, Scherff did have a big ole in the first half that led to a sack. Other than that, I didn't notice him.

We have 3 weeks before we go to Penn St. I would love to see Nielsen be 100% by then. And maybe Lowery back,McMillan back...so we would be pretty healthy going into the league season. I think we need Nielsen for a power team like PSU. Hitchens can handle ULM next week and we will have a decent rotation.
I agree about getting guys in their natural positions. Hyde back at corner. Alvis back at D-end. Davis,Daniels and Nardo in the dtackle slots. Binns at D-end. Daniel at D-end. Miller at safety,Bernstine at safety. Bullock at rb. In 3 weeks we could be rounding into a real team.

Really glad to see Schreff get some snaps. Saw some good blocks and a few mistakes as well. He's a big dude so I like the potential with him in the lineup.

I really wish KF would rotate a few more guys in the line during the game to build greater depth and help the program transition to new lineman year-to-year. It seems like KF always sticks with the same 5 no-matter what unless there is an injury. Building depth is a problem in the O-Line and I wonder at times if KF is not creating enough competition among our 2 deeps in the O-line.

I think we should dominate more in the running game than we do starting with the O-Line. Don't be afraid to try a few more guys until we get the right combination of size, physicality and natsiness.

I thought this was by far the OL's worst game this season. Ferentz had a rough first half to 3 quarters, as did seemingly everyone but Reiff - Zus got a stupid penalty to start the game w/ the personal foul. I think Gettis got beat pass blocking. Tobin got beat in running and pass blocking. Scherff missed a huge pass pro assignment. Derby repeatedly missed blocks (1 in particular in which Ejuan Price ran right by him). And Herman false started (again), to go w/ his 2 last wk. I haven't watched the game again, but it's shocking how much more line play you can focus on after you watch the tape, so I'm sure anyone that has could provide better, more specific info.

Did anyone here actually watch Carl Davis when he was in there?

My thoughts were he just can't play with enough leverage. With 5 of the 7 guys that rotated in the dline yesterday being seniors we are going to be really hurting next year. Binns had a very good game yesterday playing containment and I think Alvis is a much better dend than DT. Alvis maybe our best pass rusher.

Did anyone here actually watch Carl Davis when he was in there?

I had the binoc's out and was watching him a little bit. He's a big big dude. Quite a big bigger than Daniels. Biggest guy on our D by far. When I focused on him he was double teamed, but clogged up the middle pretty well. Didn't get pushed around that I saw...

As the coaches always say...''have to watch the film first'' ...altho in my case, I will have to read Gamefilm's blog before I draw any hard conclusions...that guys is spot on. After last week he said:

1. Nardo is a good bet at dtackle- Nardo starts at dtackle
2. Alvis would be better at d-end- Alvis moves out to d-end.
3. Castillo is not ready- Hyde moves over.
4. Hyde is better at corner- Hyde moves over.
5. Tobin struggles with pass blocking- Scherf gets in there.
6. Vandy locks onto his targets too much- this continues.
7. Nielsen lacks the necessary explosiveness with his ankle injury- Tyler cannot go.
8. Lebron Daniel played very poorly- he gets replaced.

Gamefilm is da bomb,as the kids say.

The most I can say from watching Davis is that he is big.

He doesn't move well laterally IMO. But he is young

This has nothing to do with Scherff, but I would just like to say that I LOVE our WR's. McNutt, Davis, and KMM are a dangerous trio. I can only hope, hope, hope that we open up the offense to let them do their thing. If Vandenberg can find some consistent accuracy we could easily average 300+ yards per game.

This has nothing to do with Scherff, but I would just like to say that I LOVE our WR's. McNutt, Davis, and KMM are a dangerous trio. I can only hope, hope, hope that we open up the offense to let them do their thing. If Vandenberg can find some consistent accuracy we could easily average 300+ yards per game.

I thought they all really played with a lot of guts on Sat. They ran those crosses over the middle and even with players draped on them they made the plays. They took some hits and held onto the ball. I think Davis and KMM have officially now been baptized and we do in fact have three go-to receivers. Very good game for our receiving three-o.

Latest posts