Scherff is Most Physical Player in America

thejumper5

14 for '14: Most physical players in college football

Brandon Scherff, OL, Iowa

Particulars: 6-5, 320, senior

Buzz: With 20 straight starts at left tackle dating back to an injury-shortened junior year, Scherff has established himself as the most dominant offensive lineman in the Big Ten conference. An outstanding drive blocker, Scherff is the man the Hawkeyes will look to run behind in short-yardage situations. Said offensive line coach Brian Ferentz: "There's not a better offensive lineman in college football, that's my opinion." Ours, too.

people are going to start nitpicking pretty quickly....He is at the point where he is in the position to be the first OL off the board.

If he can block speed rushers off the edge on passing downs well he's a no brainer top pic. That's what I think he'll be trying to improve at. If he can be above average at that with the potential to improve I don't see how he wouldn't be a top 5 pick. Just depends on the needs of the team picking up there.

If he can block speed rushers off the edge on passing downs well he's a no brainer top pic. That's what I think he'll be trying to improve at. If he can be above average at that with the potential to improve I don't see how he wouldn't be a top 5 pick. Just depends on the needs of the team picking up there.

There is no team picking in the top 10 in the draft that doesn't need help on the O-line.

yoursign_zpsa995db92.jpg

Impressive list to be #1 on.

P.S. Even more impressive when you consider the author's bio. Maybe he was just trying to stir things up in Alabama.

Chase Goodbread primarily covers the Southeastern Conference for College Football 24/7, and lives in Tuscaloosa, Ala. Previously, he covered Alabama football for The Tuscaloosa News and Tidesports.com. Unlike most, he appreciates low-scoring football, and the SEC often obliges

Hopefully none of all the hype goes to his head. There's been more than plenty of it. I believe he will be able to block it all out and train harder (as he is a legend in the gym); and hopefully have his best year yet. His story can only help recruiting.
Go Hawks!

There is no team picking in the top 10 in the draft that doesn't need help on the O-line.

That's a pretty broad statement. It's also not always true.

According to Football Outsiders, several of the teams picking in the top 10 of this year's draft had OL's that ranked among the top half of the NFL. Minnesota, Houston, Buffalo, Detroit and St. Louis all ranked among the top 16 offensive lines in the run game and/or pass protection last season.

Just a couple years ago, there was only one OL taken in the first 16 picks of the draft (#9). It's not always as simple as "we need help on the OL." That's true for a lot of the teams picking early in most years, but most of those teams have just as dire needs at other positions, too (usually on the other side of the ball or under center).

You talk about the least likely guy to have this go to his head...it would be Brandon Scherff. He could have gone the first round...he stayed in college because he wanted to and because he wanted to keep improving. He's got his head on straight and he also knows every talking head will be following him every play on Saturdays...they will have a camera on him most of the game...I think he's going to be prepared and he was one of the top 5 linemen last year...He's special.

Does he have short arms like Bulaga and Reiff?

ReiffTinyArms3_medium.jpg

bulaga3b.jpg

Need more guys like this:

MattKalilBigArms_medium.jpg

It always sounds funny, but it's a legitimate concern when it comes to evaluating offensive lineman. If you've got short arms, the defender across from you can get up into more easily and cause you to lose leverage. It's hardly a be-all, end-all, but it's definitely an important factor.

Kind of funny to see Todd Gurley on the list. Living in Atlanta, I've heard more than a few Georgia fans refer to him as "Gurley Man" because he has a reputation of not being able to play with minor injuries.

Latest posts