Scenario of possibility, which conference(s) is hosed?

nilekinnick

Assume all win out including conference championship game

1 ACC – Clemson
1 or 2? SEC – Alabama & (Ole Miss or Florida) (do 2 SEC teams get in as Bama is 3rd )
1 Big Ten – assume 1 of OSU, Mich St or Iowa win out
1 Pac 12 or Notre Dame– Stanford wins out (knocks out Notre Dame), ND win knocks Pac 12 out
1 Big 12 – assume 1 of Baylor, TCU, Ok ST

This puts us at 5 or 6 teams, which 1 or 2 is left out???

Do these teams control their own destiny?
Memphis – does winning out get them (thinking no)
SEC – if LSU wins out, 1 assume only 1 SEC is in, so yes LSU controls their destiny
Big 12 – Oklahoma winning out, or does Texas loss cost them if everything above holds true.
ACC - Florida ST - 1 loss ACC team does not pass ND/Stanford & 0 loss Big 12.

J Miller - I listened to your podcast, I agree Iowa winning 5 games is not likely but possible. But if they did I could see Iowa getting left out especially if say Florida beat Ole Miss in SEC championship game. would 13-0 Iowa pass 11-1 Bama? I also think the Big 12 could get left out. Which 2 of the 6 get left out
& funny how the SEC might get 2 teams in.

If Florida beat Ole Miss, they would get in over Alabama. The question is what would happen if Ole Miss beat Florida. Does a 1 loss Alabama get in over the 2 loss champion that beat them? Or does a 2 loss Ole Miss bump out an undefeated or 1 loss team?

With only 4 slots this go 'round and with the prevailing sentiment that appears to be pimping anybody but Iowa I could still see us at 13-0 and treated like Oregon when Nebby took their place in the MNC game several years ago. I would feel better about the whole thing if this selection process could be taken out of the hands of a committee, the members of which have their own preferences and biases.

Who cares which one, the system is crap. It was a horrible idea to begin with, and until each P5 conference is represented, it is a joke. I thought it was funny last year that the Big12 got left out, and it will be funny again if they get left out (Just because of the Clowns). It is a travesty if any other conference gets left out.

Right now, it's the PAC 12 that's on the outside looking in. Undefeated ACC, SEC, BIG and Big 12 are mortal locks to get in.

If the Big Ten, SEC, or Pac , start getting left out of the playoffs they will change the playoffs. Those conferences wont stand for it.

If the Big Ten, SEC, or Pac , start getting left out of the playoffs they will change the playoffs. Those conferences wont stand for it.
Yep. And it would change immediately.

I've said all along that a field of four playoff with 5 power conferences means that the point of this whole contrivance is to
(1) get to four power conferences or
(2) get to 8 playoff teams.

The contrivance that is set up now was designed as a bridge to keep the bowl system alive. A quick switch to 8 teams would have caused too much instability in the bowl system (or so it's thought).

Yep. And it would change immediately.

I've said all along that a field of four playoff with 5 power conferences means that the point of this whole contrivance is to
(1) get to four power conferences or
(2) get to 8 playoff teams.

The contrivance that is set up now was designed as a bridge to keep the bowl system alive. A quick switch to 8 teams would have caused too much instability in the bowl system (or so it's thought).
The solution to bowl stability is pretty easy.

Go to an 8 team playoff. Make the Rose/Orange/Sugar/Fiesta Bowls the quarterfinal round, with the 4 winners advancing to play in a Final Four. No more rotating bowls in and out of relevance. This makes them all relevant, every single year. You could even bring back the traditional conference tie-ins for these, with a few small caveats.

This could be marketed as an 8 team playoff, or a bowl/playoff hybrid. Done right, I think it would be huge.

I would agree if it wasn't for ND. The only way we pass them is if they lose.

Knowing Iowa's luck, I could see the following scenario:

Iowa finishes at 13-0 but gets left out of the playoff. Delaney gets upset the Big 10 is left out, and there is also an outcry in the media. System is changed immediately and playoff is expanded to include 8 teams (with all Power 5 conference winners represented) in 2016. Becomes know as the "Iowa Decision" (or some variant thereof).

Of course, this will be of no consolation to the Hawkeyes, as their best chance at winning the National Championship..possibly in our lifetime...will have been denied them.

Granted...I don't think this has any chance of happening, but if it did, it would be Iowa that it happens to. After all, we are the Rodney Dangerfield of college football right now.

Assume all win out including conference championship game

1 ACC – Clemson
1 or 2? SEC – Alabama & (Ole Miss or Florida) (do 2 SEC teams get in as Bama is 3rd )
1 Big Ten – assume 1 of OSU, Mich St or Iowa win out
1 Pac 12 or Notre Dame– Stanford wins out (knocks out Notre Dame), ND win knocks Pac 12 out
1 Big 12 – assume 1 of Baylor, TCU, Ok ST

This puts us at 5 or 6 teams, which 1 or 2 is left out???

Do these teams control their own destiny?
Memphis – does winning out get them (thinking no)
SEC – if LSU wins out, 1 assume only 1 SEC is in, so yes LSU controls their destiny
Big 12 – Oklahoma winning out, or does Texas loss cost them if everything above holds true.
ACC - Florida ST - 1 loss ACC team does not pass ND/Stanford & 0 loss Big 12.

J Miller - I listened to your podcast, I agree Iowa winning 5 games is not likely but possible. But if they did I could see Iowa getting left out especially if say Florida beat Ole Miss in SEC championship game. would 13-0 Iowa pass 11-1 Bama? I also think the Big 12 could get left out. Which 2 of the 6 get left out
& funny how the SEC might get 2 teams in.

If you lose to a team that beat ISU.... automatically OUT!

Knowing Iowa's luck, I could see the following scenario:

Iowa finishes at 13-0 but gets left out of the playoff. Delaney gets upset the Big 10 is left out, and there is also an outcry in the media. System is changed immediately and playoff is expanded to include 8 teams (with all Power 5 conference winners represented) in 2016. Becomes know as the "Iowa Decision" (or some variant thereof).

Of course, this will be of no consolation to the Hawkeyes, as their best chance at winning the National Championship..possibly in our lifetime...will have been denied them.

Granted...I don't think this has any chance of happening, but if it did, it would be Iowa that it happens to. After all, we are the Rodney Dangerfield of college football right now.

Yup. They wouldn't dare pull that on OSU, PSU, or Michigan.

I am wondering if all the undefeateds but say 1 or 2 get beat where it leaves the B1GG with a 12-1 Champion? Does the B1G get the shaft if a MSU or OSU gets beat in CCG by a 1 loss Iowa?

Or even taken further, the East Champion that represents has a loss when they get to CCG, but win that game? ie a 12-1 OSU

Latest posts