Say what you want about schemes...

SWIHawk

but they have worked in the past, and generally are still working. Sure, I get tired of the defensive scheme sitting back and seemingly being on the heels all the time. However, defense wasn't the problem yesterday. It would have been nice to get off the field quicker, but 20 points is acceptable.

Offensively, Iowa has put up great efforts this year, and although inconsistent it is apparent that the scheme is not entirely the problem.

We can, and have, beat this horse to death. I agree that there needs to be some changes in schematic aspects.

However, my biggest issue is the total lack of fire and emotion in the program. There is no passion whatsoever. I hate it.

I guess if I was an offensive genius, I would be a football coach. But I'm not, so I can't really suggest WHAT the problem is with the offense. But here are some offensive stats for this year:

Yards per game: 379.2 (71st nationally)
Passing yards: 251.8 (37th)
Rushing yards: 147.8 (69th)
Points per game: 28.7 (57th)

That is not a good offense. Horrible? I wouldn't go that far, but that's pretty much middle of the pack (out of 120 teams). I hate to say it, but these types of numbers have been pretty typical during the KF era. You can't continue to blame execution year in and year out. At some point, you have to look at other reasons.

So what is the problem - Scheme? Talent? Playcalling? A little of everything?

All I know is that 2002 was about the only year that I could say we had a REALLY GOOD offense. And that was probably as loaded of an offense as I recall seeing at Iowa - Mo Brown, Ed Hinkel, Clinton Solomon, CJ Jones, Dallas Clark to throw the ball to. Fred Russell & Jermelle Lewis running behind maybe the best offensive line we've seen in the black & gold, and a QB that contended for the Heisman trophy. What more can you ask? Anything short of that kind of talent, which is pretty much been the case, and we've gotten numbers like the above.

If it takes THAT much talent just to have a Top 25 offense, then that tells me there is something going on with the scheme and/or the playcalling.

Just my 2 cents.

I guess if I was an offensive genius, I would be a football coach. But I'm not, so I can't really suggest WHAT the problem is with the offense. But here are some offensive stats for this year:

Yards per game: 379.2 (71st nationally)
Passing yards: 251.8 (37th)
Rushing yards: 147.8 (69th)
Points per game: 28.7 (57th)

That is not a good offense. Horrible? I wouldn't go that far, but that's pretty much middle of the pack (out of 120 teams). I hate to say it, but these types of numbers have been pretty typical during the KF era. You can't continue to blame execution year in and year out. At some point, you have to look at other reasons.

So what is the problem - Scheme? Talent? Playcalling? A little of everything?

All I know is that 2002 was about the only year that I could say we had a REALLY GOOD offense. And that was probably as loaded of an offense as I recall seeing at Iowa - Mo Brown, Ed Hinkel, Clinton Solomon, CJ Jones, Dallas Clark to throw the ball to. Fred Russell & Jermelle Lewis running behind maybe the best offensive line we've seen in the black & gold, and a QB that contended for the Heisman trophy. What more can you ask? Anything short of that, which is pretty much been the case, and we've gotten numbers like the above.

If it takes THAT much talent just to have a Top 25 offense, then that tells me there is something going on with the scheme and/or the playcalling.

Just my 2 cents.

Teams with this type of production finish 7-5, unless they have a monster defense to cover for them.

but they have worked in the past, and generally are still working. Sure, I get tired of the defensive scheme sitting back and seemingly being on the heels all the time. However, defense wasn't the problem yesterday. It would have been nice to get off the field quicker, but 20 points is acceptable.

Offensively, Iowa has put up great efforts this year, and although inconsistent it is apparent that the scheme is not entirely the problem.

We can, and have, beat this horse to death. I agree that there needs to be some changes in schematic aspects.

However, my biggest issue is the total lack of fire and emotion in the program. There is no passion whatsoever. I hate it.

Take out Tenn Tech, ULM, Indiana, Northwestern, and try telling me this offense is working.

I do agree with your point about the lack of emotion though. Makes you wish Ferentz had a little more Paul Rhoads in him

No doubt there is a lack of fire. In fact, we are always the LEAST enthusiastic team any given saturday. However, our defensive scheme is rotten and eaay to beat and easier to prepare for. Our offense gets about 8 possessions a game b/c defense stays on the field giving up 15 play 10 minute drives every time. Our 3rd and 4th down defense are historically aweful, even tho we put lots in the nfl. That stat from a few weeks ago told everything...dead last out of 119 teams at plays per possession on defense and by a wide margin

I do agree with your point about the lack of emotion though. Makes you wish Ferentz had a little more Paul Rhoads in him

According to many, many current and former players, Ferentz has PLENTY of fire in the locker room and at practice. He chooses to stay generally cool on the sidelines, with the exception of chewing out refs.

Why the players fail to show fire against the likes of Minnesota is a separate question, and a puzzling and frustrating one. A common thread of championship teams though (including Iowa's successful teams) has been strong upperclass leadership. The coaches can't do it all.

I don't mind that Ferentz is calm and collected, but he could use a couple of new assistants to "offset" him, perhaps.

Situational playcalling has always been the problem and will continue to be the problem. No matter what scheme Iowa were to use, they will always make boneheaded play calls in key situations because that is who they are (the coaches).

When it works, abandon it.

Latest posts