Satisfaction

TritonHawkeye

Iowa fans and fans in general have a general feeling of entitlement when it comes to their sports teams.

My question what would it take for a level of satisfaction with this season.

Is it over? Have the Hawks already so disappointed your expectations that nothing at this point could change your mind.

Is it just making the NCAA tournament? Would that put you in your happy place during the summer?

Perhaps a trip to the sweet 16, elite 8?

Maybe it's final 4 or bust?

I am curious as there is so much complaining of this or that as to what at this point it would take to salvage your excitement for the Hawks.

Not gonna lie, I am and have been disappointed with how this team finished the regular season. I guess for me personally, going to the tournament and winning a game is what I am hoping for....it really was what I wanted at the beginning of the season. So I guess if that happens I will be satisfied.

Sweet 16 and this team will have met expectations that were set mid season (when Iowa was a 3 or 4 seed...) aka they would have played to seed at the height of their run.

I think for this group of fans, it would take getting to the elite 8 to wash away the butthurt from how the season ended.

For me, winning the first game and taking a 1 or 2 seed to the wire would be acceptable. Losing a first round game would be very bad.

Definitely disappointed in the Illinois and NW games, there was no shame in losing on the road to Minny and indiana even though the hawks are better.

But these last two losses took a lot of luster off the season as I think they would have been 23-9 which looks very good.

That being said, I didnt expect them to win the Big regular season or the BTT but to get into the ncaas.

If they get an invite to the dance that will be satisfying

IF they win their first game very satisfying.

5 weeks ago I thought they could make a run but teams now know we are not a good perimeter shooting team, they sag off, they keep us from getting fast breaks, which makes it tough

If they get the gift of a bid they need to show some emotion (players) and give it all they have. If/when you lose, go down fighting, show us you care and want to be there! Not to much to ask I don't think. It's beyond how far they go but what they show me to reel me in again and get excited about hawkeye basketball.

Last edited:
Before the season I thought winning in a game (round of 64) would have been great, then 2/3 through the season I was up to Sweet 16 maybe Elite 8, now it's back to winning in the round of 64. Yes, Iowa will be the lower seed but if they right the ship they can make the Sweet 16 then nobody knows what can happen then.

Sweet 16 and this team will have met expectations that were set mid season (when Iowa was a 3 or 4 seed...) aka they would have played to seed at the height of their run.

I think for this group of fans, it would take getting to the elite 8 to wash away the butthurt from how the season ended.

For me, winning the first game and taking a 1 or 2 seed to the wire would be acceptable. Losing a first round game would be very bad.

Expectations set by who? Remember, expectations are nothing more than opinions, and you know what they say about opinions. My advice, never ever buy into expectations, and never, ever say never.:p

I'll be honest...that's one thing I hate about the tournament...if a team like the hawks gets hot and wins the national title (Knock me out and call me sally if that happens)...but they would not be the "best" team in college basketball. Heck for the last month they were one of the worst. Yet if you get hot at the right time...katy bar the door.

The regular season just doesn't matter that much...especially with the parity...If I was a coach I would make sure we won just enough games to make sure we didn't have to sweat on selection Sunday and I would rest the players for tournament time.

I would like to see the NCAA cut the field in about half (or more)...then have 3 game series or so.

I'll be honest...that's one thing I hate about the tournament...if a team like the hawks gets hot and wins the national title (Knock me out and call me sally if that happens)...but they would not be the "best" team in college basketball. Heck for the last month they were one of the worst. Yet if you get hot at the right time...katy bar the door.

The regular season just doesn't matter that much...especially with the parity...If I was a coach I would make sure we won just enough games to make sure we didn't have to sweat on selection Sunday and I would rest the players for tournament time.

I would like to see the NCAA cut the field in about half (or more)...then have 3 game series or so.

Yet, we want to do the same thing to football, so the GD media can crow about who is the best team in the country, which, of course, a playoff/tournament does not come close to proving. That being said, if the Hawks win 2 games in the NCAA and are sweet sixteen, all should be forgiven. (of course, it will not be by many posters on this board)

Given the 7 game skid....Win one tourney game and I will be satisfied, win 2, given the now much lower seed, I would be ecstatic.

Making the tourney was the minimum bar...we snuck in just over that.

Even we were flying high and an overrated #10, I would have been happy making the sweet 16, I never really saw us as an elite 8 or final 4 team.

Hell, only one thing left to do.....win the whole d@mn thing !

As is usual with your posts, I couldn't disagree more with any of this.

Iowa fans and fans in general have a general feeling of entitlement when it comes to their sports teams.

My question what would it take for a level of satisfaction with this season.

Is it over? Have the Hawks already so disappointed your expectations that nothing at this point could change your mind.

Is it just making the NCAA tournament? Would that put you in your happy place during the summer?

Perhaps a trip to the sweet 16, elite 8?

Maybe it's final 4 or bust?

I am curious as there is so much complaining of this or that as to what at this point it would take to salvage your excitement for the Hawks.

Not gonna lie, I am and have been disappointed with how this team finished the regular season. I guess for me personally, going to the tournament and winning a game is what I am hoping for....it really was what I wanted at the beginning of the season. So I guess if that happens I will be satisfied.

How I absolutely loath posts that start with lines like this one,

Sense of entitlement? Seriously? We haven't been in the NCAA for 8 years.

Yes we are spoiled brats with all our... immense success in basketball the past 20 years..

People are also upset because this team was ranked #10 and one point and has fallen this far so fast. It's totally within their rights to be upset. That being said this team needs to get in the NCAA for the good of the program.

Being able to bury your head in the sand isn't a virtue.

Getting to the NCAA tournament and everything especially wins are just gravy. The first step is just getting there, should have been a no-brainer, but that is why games are played. I will say this...2006 was the last time Iowa was there and getting back has not been an easy road.