Sam LaPorta Blossoming at Tight End U

Super, super nice guy too.

My son and his buddy got pictures taken with him after the scrimmage and LaPorta chatted them up for a while. Asked them where they were from, if they played football themselves, what positions, what pro teams they liked, stuff like that. Awesome memories for kids.

Other than looking at Petras sideways a few times, Laporta kept his frustration in check. There were at least 5 to 10 throws where Laporta was wide open and Petras missed him by a mile. Given that you want to put on tape as much as possible for the NFL, he never let those Petras errant throws phase him.

Don't know him, never met him, but he seems like a good dude. Barring injuries, he will be another Iowa TE that gets drafted and plays in the league.

With all the newbies at WR coming in I would imagine he and Petras will be working on their report quite a bit. He'll be featured and will have every bit the chance to be the best TE in college football this year. Yeah I said it!!

With all the newbies at WR coming in I would imagine he and Petras will be working on their report quite a bit. He'll be featured and will have every bit the chance to be the best TE in college football this year. Yeah I said it!!
Teams will have to work hard to stop our short passing game this year, using Laporta, Goodson, and Tracy probable getting some quick outs and jet sweeps. Hope we see the next great TE start to rise this year as I didn't honestly expect Laporta to be back this year. He is good enough now to be playing on Sundays.

Teams will have to work hard to stop our short passing game this year, using Laporta, Goodson, and Tracy probable getting some quick outs and jet sweeps. Hope we see the next great TE start to rise this year as I didn't honestly expect Laporta to be back this year. He is good enough now to be playing on Sundays.
Ssshhh

He wasn't eligible to jump this year. It is only his third year in the program, he did not redshirt. Seems hard to believe. Wouldn't be surprised to see him at least explore the NFL next year though, for sure.

He wasn't eligible to jump this year. It is only his third year in the program, he did not redshirt. Seems hard to believe. Wouldn't be surprised to see him at least explore the NFL next year though, for sure.
Didn't know that. Big, strong, fast, he is gonna be on the radar of many NFL teams.

I hope one of these Ferentz TEs makes the HOF one day.
That's especially rarified air for NFL tight ends, which are probably the least represented position in Canton.

Right now Dallas Clark would have the best shot but if that was meant to be a sarcastic dig at Ferentz, save it.

Its not easy. Bob Sanders will never make it. George Kittle would have to have five or six more seasons like 2019 to be considered.

Its an elite club. The only Iowa players to be enshrined since the Evashevski days are Alex Karras and Andre Tippett. (Not sure if Emlen Tunnell played for Forrest)

EDIT: Paul Krausse is another Hawk alum in the NFL hall of fame.

Last edited:
Great day in NFL today for Hock and Kittle. Hock had 13 catches total and 2 TD catches in Vikings win. Kittle had 2 TD catches in 49ers win. Even Noah Fant had a TD catch for Seatle.
Fant has now scored in three straight games. And CJ Fiedorowicz was a pro bowl level player with Houston before too many concussions ended his career. And Jake Duzey never got a shot at the NFL. Dallas Clark had a long NFL career, Tony Moeaki a respectable one. Henry Kreiger-Coble got a couple years in the league.

Latest posts