Sam Hojnar Transferring???

HawkPowerlifter

I saw this last night that he is entering the transfer portal. I would have thought with Iowa's success, that we wouldn't be reading this? Anyone, have any info for the reasoning?

This is a copy and paste from Hawkfanatic.com from 6/14:

Hojnar, a redshirt junior second baseman from Naperville, Illinois, entered the portal, according to a source close to the situation, to cover himself since Iowa is currently over the scholarship limit.

The hope is that Hojnar could make enough money through name, image and likeness to offset the lack of scholarship money so he could play his senior season as a Hawkeye.

A Division I baseball team can offer a maximum of 11.7 scholarships to be divided between a maximum of 27 players.

In only a few games I saw the bat was way ahead of his glove. Guessing Hellar prob prefers Gable Mitchell (Dan's grandson) going forward at 2B.

I still can't believe 11.7 scholarships is the limit. That would be like only give 6 basketball scholarships. College baseball is fun to watch and I really enjoy the world series (the games have been great). I would think most 18-22 year old kids would prefer to play college baseball and live the student life vs bouncing around minor leagues for 4-5 years. If NCAA just allowed somewhere around 20 scholarships that might keep more high school players going the college route vs minor leagues, plus the extra scholarships would reward the guys committing 4-5 years at their school.

I still can't believe 11.7 scholarships is the limit. That would be like only give 6 basketball scholarships. College baseball is fun to watch and I really enjoy the world series (the games have been great). I would think most 18-22 year old kids would prefer to play college baseball and live the student life vs bouncing around minor leagues for 4-5 years. If NCAA just allowed somewhere around 20 scholarships that might keep more high school players going the college route vs minor leagues, plus the extra scholarships would reward the guys committing 4-5 years at their school.
I think wresting is similar, maybe worse for having to share scholarships.

This is a copy and paste from Hawkfanatic.com from 6/14:

Hojnar, a redshirt junior second baseman from Naperville, Illinois, entered the portal, according to a source close to the situation, to cover himself since Iowa is currently over the scholarship limit.

The hope is that Hojnar could make enough money through name, image and likeness to offset the lack of scholarship money so he could play his senior season as a Hawkeye.

A Division I baseball team can offer a maximum of 11.7 scholarships to be divided between a maximum of 27 players.
Wow....I was totally unaware of the lack of scholarships alloted for D-1 baseball. That's really sad.

Copy and paste from the internet, so you know it's the gospel truth! :)

How many scholarships for D1 wrestling? Athletic scholarships from NCAA Division 1 wrestling programs are difficult to come by. Only one percent of high school athletes go on to compete at this level. Coaches can give out a maximum of 9.9 scholarships per year, and they usually divide this up into partial scholarships.

With all the Big money that football gets you would think they could do better by some of the other sports.

With all the Big money that football gets you would think they could do better by some of the other sports.
The NCAA controls the scholarship limits. This is where NIL could help, but ultimately will be where the rich will get richer because of NIL.

Latest posts