Safety in the Sugar Bowl

Sadly, I think it was the correct call. I think the rule needs to be looked at, but I think it was called correctly. Since the initial defender 'disengaged' from Herron on the carry, his forward progress with that defender was basically negated.

I thought so at first, but upon watching the replay repeatedly I realized the first would be tackler pushed him back into the endzone but then lost contact with him. The runner was completely seperated from any tackler for a moment and moved forward a bit before the second tackler made contact and brought him down.
This was a bizarre situation, but I believe it was the correct call.

Usually when a ball carrier is engaged and driven back three yards, a whistle is blown before he has a chance to disengage.

The call that was worse than that was the false start on OSU late in the 4th. Though the left end was not in the neutral zone (the replay ESECPN showed), the right end was a yard past the neutral zone and OSU was called for a false start. Pryor ran for 14 yards on the next play, which should have been enough for a first down.

How bout the incredible arkansas td run being called back. They ruled that the back of his wrist touched the ground so he was down. 1/2 in away would have been the back of his hand and he would have had the TD.

Usually when a ball carrier is engaged and driven back three yards, a whistle is blown before he has a chance to disengage.

The call that was worse than that was the false start on OSU late in the 4th. Though the left end was not in the neutral zone (the replay ESECPN showed), the right end was a yard past the neutral zone and OSU was called for a false start. Pryor ran for 14 yards on the next play, which should have been enough for a first down.

Agree, they blew that false start call (and it was HUGE). And I thought both Ark DE's had been or were in the neutral zone when the OSU tackle jumped. Clearly Offsides, imo...

How bout the incredible arkansas td run being called back. They ruled that the back of his wrist touched the ground so he was down. 1/2 in away would have been the back of his hand and he would have had the TD.

That one was bizarre. Who knew a wrist meant down?

If Herron just drops at the 1-yard line, it isn't a safety. The refs never blew the whistle (not that you would have been able to hear it anyway), Herron never quit, and got gang-tackled in the end zone. Safety.

I did, but then again I have a smart phone. Also they scored 2 plays later so that wasn't really an issue.

I did as well, but I don't have a smart phone so you have me beat there.

Anything touches the ground other than a hand or foot and you are down. Pretty easy to remember.

It was the right call. The runner got away from the first tackler, took two steps and got gobbled up by the rest of the team. It was the right call! Give the ref credit for getting it right.

I did, but then again I have a smart phone. Also they scored 2 plays later so that wasn't really an issue.

Since your smart phone knows the rules you might want to return it so it will be able to tell you the correct play by play, it was the very next play Arkansas scored not 2 plays later.

by that logic though, you could pick up a runner, run him back 10 yards, put him down and let another player tackle him(assuming no whistle was blown). i agree, it was called correct the way the rule is written, but i think it needs to be revised

by that logic though, you could pick up a runner, run him back 10 yards, put him down and let another player tackle him(assuming no whistle was blown). i agree, it was called correct the way the rule is written, but i think it needs to be revised

The runner was still fighting to get away and make progress. Suppose he had separated from the first defender and managed to gain 5-10 yards (regardless of whether the play had pushed him into the end zone, or in okeefe4pres's case, irregardless)? Wouldn't that instead have been a pretty good offensive move and ruled a gain? I thought it was the correct call.

The runner was still fighting to get away and make progress. Suppose he had separated from the first defender and managed to gain 5-10 yards (regardless of whether the play had pushed him into the end zone, or in okeefe4pres's case, irregardless)? Wouldn't that instead have been a pretty good offensive move and ruled a gain? I thought it was the correct call.

I didn't see the play but if it's true that he was driven back 3 yards before getting free I think that obviously qualifies as forward progress being stopped.

Agree, they blew that false start call (and it was HUGE). And I thought both Ark DE's had been or were in the neutral zone when the OSU tackle jumped. Clearly Offsides, imo...

Completely agree with okeefe4prez and you. It was clear, especially on DVR slow mo the far Ark DE was over, then the near DE came over and caused the OSU lineman to move. Not sure how they could've missed it.

I thought they also missed a pretty blatant PI on a long pass in the first half when the Ark supposedly tangled his legs with the OSU receiver. Would've been a TD and something should've been called.

Completely agree with okeefe4prez and you. It was clear, especially on DVR slow mo the far Ark DE was over, then the near DE came over and caused the OSU lineman to move. Not sure how they could've missed it.

I thought they also missed a pretty blatant PI on a long pass in the first half when the Ark supposedly tangled his legs with the OSU receiver. Would've been a TD and something should've been called.

No question this was PI. The defender and receiver did not just tangle legs; seeing he was beat, the defender grabbed the receiver and swung his legs around to take down the receiver.

No question this was PI. The defender and receiver did not just tangle legs; seeing he was beat, the defender grabbed the receiver and swung his legs around to take down the receiver.

Exactly how I saw it as well. That kid knew he was beat and did what he could to make it look like it was inadvertant.

For a while I thought I was going crazy on those - didn't seem like anyone else saw them.

Latest posts