Rutgers.....

Rutgers is the anti Iowa. They rank 9th in the country in defensive efficiency and 92nd in offensive efficiency.

I predict they will lose in the first round of the NCAA tournament when they get officials that actually call grabbing and holding on defense.

Nonetheless this is the best team they have had in quite some time.

Last edited:
Since the DePaul game, Iowa has played teams that aren't very strong defensively. That will change noticeably the next two games, with Rutgers and Wisconsin. I'd put the Over/Under total Iowa points in those games at 60...and lower than that if they were on the road. I've been surprised more Iowa opponents haven't tried to put more pressure on Iowa's guards, both to make the entry-feed passes to Garza more difficult and to take away Iowa's 3pt shooting. I suspect Rutgers will do just that. And then we'll see how good Iowa's current crop of guards are at driving into the paint. Since Rutgers isn't a good offensive shooting team, they'll also be driving whenever possible, which will test our guards' defensive foot speed and ability to defend without fouling.

If you think about it, Rutgers isnt in that bad of a spot for being able to grow their basketball program. Football recruiting is tough for them up there, but they should have some recruiting advantages in basketball, even if they don't have much of a tradition.

It's like Northwestern but yet they have less academic standards.

Since the DePaul game, Iowa has played teams that aren't very strong defensively. That will change noticeably the next two games, with Rutgers and Wisconsin. I'd put the Over/Under total Iowa points in those games at 60...and lower than that if they were on the road. I've been surprised more Iowa opponents haven't tried to put more pressure on Iowa's guards, both to make the entry-feed passes to Garza more difficult and to take away Iowa's 3pt shooting. I suspect Rutgers will do just that. And then we'll see how good Iowa's current crop of guards are at driving into the paint. Since Rutgers isn't a good offensive shooting team, they'll also be driving whenever possible, which will test our guards' defensive foot speed and ability to defend without fouling.
Iowa will do what they always do against quicker teams that struggle to shoot. Zone.

60 points? I get that logic and anything is possible but that’s a stretch. It depends how the officials call it. If they let Rutgers mug and hold our guys maybe. If not Iowa should get some good shots. I agree on the road at Rutgers and Wisco would be tough places to score the ball, luckily we are at home.

Without looking up metrics and going strictly by the eye test, Rutgers looks similar to Penn State.

I could see us going mostly zone as well. But we have to watch out for Harper. We couldn't stop him last year from getting to the rim, and I think he also had his outside shot falling that day.

Those other guards Geo Baker and Jacob Young will be a handful. And they have big bodies to bang on Garza inside.

If ever we could use Cordell to be an X factor this is the game. He has had some of his best games against Rutgers, albeit not this caliber of Rutgers. His high post passing could be a big factor, especially if they do force our guards out high. Kriener too. Would have been a nice game to have Nunge. No dice, but perhaps Joe T will be ready for a New York area school wgere he undoubtedly has a past history wirh some of their players.

Rutgers shoots 29% from 3. If they don't shoot way above that I like our chances. Not sure they have anyone that can stop Garza. Johnson is solid but he's not a prolific shot blocker and he has a limited offensive game.

Rutgers shoots 29% from 3. If they don't shoot way above that I like our chances. Not sure they have anyone that can stop Garza. Johnson is solid but he's not a prolific shot blocker and he has a limited offensive game.
They’ll send a second guy at Garza and feel they are quick enough to recover and rotate out to our shooters. If this game goes poorly for Iowa my guess is we will be turning the ball over because of their pressure.

They aren't just mugging people the way MSU does. They have a lot of length so they can get out on the perimeter and defend. Do they play with a certain level of physicality? Yes, but that has been B1G basketball since like forever.

As others have pointed out the game is at Iowa. So the hawks should be able to get out in transition and do what they do. JW,CJF getting open looks off the secondary break,etc.

they really pressure the ball. Not good for us with not the best guards bringing it up. this will be a very tough game.

If you think about it, Rutgers isnt in that bad of a spot for being able to grow their basketball program. Football recruiting is tough for them up there, but they should have some recruiting advantages in basketball, even if they don't have much of a tradition.

It's like Northwestern but yet they have less academic standards.

Football could turn around for them quickly as well if they were to bring their facilities up to par and get a decent coaching staff, it will be interesting to see how Schiano does. Rutgers sits in a hot bed of talent, which is why a program like Pedo State can go through what they did and rebound quickly.

Rutgers scored it a little better than I expected, but they mug all game long on defense.
Suffocating defense. 7th in nation at defensive efficiency. Plus they have the athletes/horses to do it. I, for one, am glad Rutgers is ‘pulling their weight’ in hoops (as bad as their football has been). Find myself rooting for them, when not playing the Hawks

Rutgers scored it a little better than I expected, but they mug all game long on defense.

Just brutal mugging from them. I watched the game at a place with no sound. Was CJ called for a foul early in the 2nd half where the replay showed he was grabbed with both hands from behind? Or did I miss something? From what I saw, it reminded me of the Clinton Soloman face mask penalty from the outback bowl.