Rutgers Sports Is Running A Deficit?

KCHawkeye

Just found this on Front Office Sports. The article indicates that Rutgers sports Is running at a deficit. I can't believe it as a B1G member. Will Rutgers run a deficit after the B1G negotiations?

I thought NY was supposed to be a big 'eyes on' area due to its size. How come it's running a deficit?

Am I missing something?

Just found this on Front Office Sports. The article indicates that Rutgers sports Is running at a deficit. I can't believe it as a B1G member. Will Rutgers run a deficit after the B1G negotiations?

I thought NY was supposed to be a big 'eyes on' area due to its size. How come it's running a deficit?

Am I missing something?

Not much different than UCLA having a 100 million dollar deficit and needing a BIG lifeline...you need people to care about football and like UCLA they don't have enough of those people.

Most of the deficit is from Covid. Our athletic department went into debt too. Probably a lot of others around the country. Plus, it took a long time for Rutgers and Maryland to get a full share of media rights. If I'm not mistaken, they may have just within the last year or two starting to receive the full share.

Rutgers was not offered a full share for the first 10 years as kind of the price of admission. Nebraska and MD were not given full shares either. That was one big difference with USC and UCLA in that they will be given full shares right away. Why? Because USC and UCLA had leverage. Rutgers did not.

Anyway, I believe it was always Rutgers plan to run a deficit the first 10 years in the conference and then pay it off once they started getting full shares. GIven the latest media contract, Rutgers should have no problem paying off all its debt by 2029.

Most of the deficit is from Covid. Our athletic department went into debt too. Probably a lot of others around the country. Plus, it took a long time for Rutgers and Maryland to get a full share of media rights. If I'm not mistaken, they may have just within the last year or two starting to receive the full share.
Rutgers was not offered a full share for the first 10 years as kind of the price of admission. Nebraska and MD were not given full shares either. That was one big difference with USC and UCLA in that they will be given full shares right away. Why? Because USC and UCLA had leverage. Rutgers did not.

Anyway, I believe it was always Rutgers plan to run a deficit the first 10 years in the conference and then pay it off once they started getting full shares. GIven the latest media contract, Rutgers should have no problem paying off all its debt by 2029.

Bringing Schiano back and having moderate success is huge. Football program has to avoid being a dumpster fire...that's it.

Thank title IX for a lot of that.... If football didn't have to prop up the non-revenue generating womens sports..... I'd be curious to know how many womens basketball programs would be self-sustaining or make money.

Iowa with Clark and Gustafson lately have done pretty well I would say but even still they don't charge the same for their tickets as they do the men do they? Around the country I wonder if 10-20 programs might fit that category out of all of them is my uneducated guess.