Rutgers looking forward to rematch...

That’s funny. I don’t think the rematch will be much of a match. But most of their talent are freshmen and sophomores and they have a good coach. They are going to be tough in the years to come...as is Illinois.

*I agree as they had several offensive boards that never would have happened if it wasn’t for the ball bouncing just the right way tonight. I know the announcers said that they lead the league in offensive rebounds but clearly there were bounces that clearly had nothing to do with being in good rebounding position.

*On the other hand there were a couple of times where that could have been prevented with some basic screening out techniques. I hope Fran takes advantage of the film from this game to point that out.

*Dont mess with the luck of the Irish.

Buy they way had Baer caught that ball did you notice who was standing at the top of the key wide open and uncovered???

Crazy game. Rutgers missed a ton of free throws. They had a boat load of offensive rebounds and we turned it over even more than that. So they only have themselves to blame for not winning honestly. Follow that up with JBo and Moss missing 4 free throws combined and I'm not sure how Iowa won. I watched it from tip off to the end and I honestly don't know how that happened. Crazieness

We also were in a generous mood...just handing them the ball for 10 to 15 minutes early. That was probably a 12 point swing between the lost opportunity to score and the easy baskets.
We looked early on like a team that hadn't played in a week. The timing in our half court sets was off half a beat. And Rutgers had very active hands. They deserve plenty of credit for forcing so many turnovers, especially in the first half. We deserve some credit for settling down in the second half.

BTW, Bohannon hit some big second half shots again. And not all of them three pointers.

I can't wait for the rematch either. Iowa needs to redeem themselves after that crappy showing. I don't remember a game where Iowa got the ball stolen from them 10 times, with many of them being break away layups/dunks at the other end, and still win the game. Ten turnovers in the first half! I know rebounding is Rutgers thing but damn near every 3 pointer they threw up if Rutgers didn't make it they got the rebound off of it. Clean that stuff up and Iowa wins by double digits.

It was crazy how many offensive rebounds they had while watching it, but on a late timeout i was curious and checked the stats and we had 12 offensive to their 10. It ended up with them having 14 and us 12, but it was pretty close. I agree with one poster as well, they missed so badly on many of their shots if it hit the rim at all and caused very unpredictible bounces.

Iowa played about as bad as they could and still were leading throughout the second half. Lost in the madness of our game winner was Rutgers super lucky front iron back board three to take the lead. At Carver the refs aren’t going to allow Rutgers to mug and hold our players the entire night I don’t think. Not worried one bit about that game. Suck it Rutgers

One other thing I forgot to mention. Rutgers had a dude shooting in the 20%s from 3 make 4 3pt shots in the first half. On the broadcast they said he was 0 for his last 9 and he looked like Ray Allen in the 1H. That’s just bad luck for Iowa.

Im puzzled Rutgers doesnt have a much better record.
Somebody has to lose conference games. Rutgers, Penn State, Nebraska, and Northwestern are probably all better than their records indicate and KenPom bares this out. Hell, Nebraska is STILL ranked 33rd or something like that.

If they're still considering teams like Nebraska, Minnesota and Ohio State for the NCAA's, then we deserve no worse than a five seed. Buckle up for the conference tournament. You're not going to have a winner as much as a survivor.

Im puzzled Rutgers doesnt have a much better record.

They started really bad and improved. If they could start the season over and play every game like they have played the last 10 or so. They would probably have a chance to get on the bubble. Beating a team on the road that plays like a bubble team isn't easy to do for fringe top 20 teams. I expect the same thing when we play OSU. I would say the odds of winning that game are close to the same as winning this one.

I don't think another set of refs is going to let the next game get that rough. I'm betting Fran has contacted the head of officials about the way that game was called, including the elbow to Kriener's face. Foul trouble early for Rutgers.

It was crazy how many offensive rebounds they had while watching it, but on a late timeout i was curious and checked the stats and we had 12 offensive to their 10. It ended up with them having 14 and us 12, but it was pretty close. I agree with one poster as well, they missed so badly on many of their shots if it hit the rim at all and caused very unpredictible bounces.

There is a reason why they lead the conference in offensive rebounding and top 10 nationally. They are relentless on the boards, especially on the offensive end. Combine that with their size and you are not going to win many rebound battles. Like you I am surprised the offensive rebounding numbers were as close as they were.

If Rutgers gets some consistent outside shooting they will be a tough out in the future.