Rutgers game

Seth53

Need some advice folks. I'm putting together a self-made package.

Flights from Moline are pretty simple. I want to fly to LaGuardia on Wed the 21st. Fly home on Sunday.

I'm interested in two days of 'sheeple' sight-seeing (tour buses with guide, etc). No interest in driving there or walking a million miles a day.

So, where to stay?

And how to get to the stadium, and back to home base if home base is NYC?

Or should home base be near the University and make the trek into Manhattan via a tour package?

Interested in all thoughts.

If $ is not a big consideration, stay in Manhattan. There is a Northeast Corridor train from Penn Station to New Brunswick (Rutgers) that runs often, and there is a free shuttle to the stadium from the NB train station. Re: sight-seeing: There are a number of "hop on - hop off" bus tours. You could get a 2-day pass and see a lot of the city. Also, the Circle Line cruises are fun. I'm interested in other thoughts, too, so please chime in!

Last edited:
Winebrenners red carpet has a pretty good deal ($500) cheaper than what's on here.Commercial flight but they take you to hotel and to game then back to airport,Thursday-Sunday. Staying by time square so you can walk to mid-town.They said your on your own Thursday and Friday then the games on Saturday.Planning on Broadway show and seeing Empire State Building Thurs. then on Friday walking to GMA,then off to 9/11 memorial.Scratching a few more off my bucket list.Go Hawks

I'm also considering flying into Newark. Home-basing it out of that area into Manhattan. I'm fleshing out some options.

Just got back from NYC last week. 1st time there and loved it. Only complaint is the smell, its similar to Ames.

Visit Times Square at night (watch out for pick pockets) & go to the top of Rockefeller Center.

Go Hawks!

Last edited:
I have literally spent my whole life waiting for this game to happen. Now it is almost here. I just can't wait to see the Hawkeyes face off against the Scarlett Knights.

Tickets out of Chicago are insanely inexpensive for flights these days, $125-$175 depending on times. Can't really fathom Rutgers is packing them in so tickets should also be plentiful and inexpensive. Hotels in NYC are another animal, but depending on how you want to roll, the cost of this trip should not be prohibitive.

Note that this game is during UN Week in NYC, so midtown hotels are booked. That is all I will say for now, since the mods deleted my post about our NYC Iowa Club package. Hope you can join us tho for the game, look for our site for more info on the packages.

Sedge

I have literally spent my whole life waiting for this game to happen. Now it is almost here. I just can't wait to see the Hawkeyes face off against the Scarlett Knights.

Is this the new standard for sarcasm in posting?

Note that this game is during UN Week in NYC, so midtown hotels are booked. That is all I will say for now, since the mods deleted my post about our NYC Iowa Club package. Hope you can join us tho for the game, look for our site for more info on the packages.

Sedge

You cannot underestimate how significant it is that the UN is in session. Rates in Midtown will be at year-long highs. Double-parking of black SUVs with tinted windows will also be at a year-long high. Adjust your plans to stay in Newark and take the train to Penn State if you want to do things in Manhattan. You can fly directly from Des Moines to Newark on United.

I'll be there! Still awaiting the release of the start time as we may take the Acela up... Hoping it is an afternoon game so we do not have to get up early that day!

-CB

Plans finalized. I'll toss in some dollar figures so you can plan yours accordingly:

Flight out of Moline, via Chicago, to Newark. $250 round trip. Lv Wed, fly back Sunday early. Travelocity.
Super-8 in Newark. $300 for four nights (I know, I know, but leaves more money for tickets). On line.
Four seats, section 108, row 16, approx $100 each. Fifteen yard line from what I can gather. Visitor's side.
Stub Hub.

Uber is uber cheap....$25 is the most I can see we'll spend to get anywhere we want to go, including the game.
Bus tour, full day, about $60. Also going to do a 1/2-day water tour.

There ya go. Go Hawks.

I'll be at the game taking my two daughters to their first Hawkeye football game. Booked a hotel room at the Hilton in Chelsea area. Flying in on Thursday and out on Monday. Should be an amazing event.

Latest posts