Rushing

Am waiting for some Hawk fan to say it.. That play wasn't a KOK play or a Ferentz play it was a Davis play. Kudos to Davis on that play. Matter of fact, kudos to Davis on the first quarter. The Ferentz offense didn't rear its ugly head until later in the game.

Its ok to run the KF 3 yard offense in the 4th quarter with a 17 point lead to burn clock. Its not ok to do it in the first half with little to no lead, which we do far to often.

Rushing game wasn't really that great still.

Take away that big play and that's 43 carries for 147 yards 3.3 yards per carry...
Take away about 6 3rd and 1 or 4th and 1 when everyone knew Weisman was going to carry for one yard . . . 37 carries for 141 yds = 3.8 yds/pc...
uh -- nevermind.

Name of the game is 3.4. I don't care if it's a pass, run or whatever, just get 3.4 every time. Big plays are nice, but 1stI and goal from the nine, you gotta pound it in.
When you can do that, the option to throw becomes available.
Again, kudos on the shear number of players getting touches. Use those weapons, I recall saying that. :)

Last edited:
Great to see Weismann running wild in the second tier.... Oh wait that never happened and never will. He did get loose for a long of 11.... 11 freaking yard dash. Put the d3 back on the bech til we need 4&1.

Its ok to run the KF 3 yard offense in the 4th quarter with a 17 point lead to burn clock. Its not ok to do it in the first half with little to no lead, which we do far to often.
Since you nit pick, so will I. You mean most of the second half... KF's offense reared its ugly head in most of the second half.

Great to see Weismann running wild in the second tier.... Oh wait that never happened and never will. He did get loose for a long of 11.... 11 freaking yard dash. Put the d3 back on the bech til we need 4&1.

MW is what he is, a hard runner with size. He has his roll and does it well. He stepped in the last couple years and did well.

He's not an elite back and has his limitations. Everyone agrees he shouldn't get outside zone plays, Other backs are getting more carries now, which they should, but MW has earned his carries.

MW is a great Hawk and he deserves a little more respect than you are giving him.

Total Rush Yards 207, including long 60

Conversely, taking away the 3 long TDs, Coleman had 12 carries for 22 yards.

And Weisman has his YPC screwed up every time we run him 3 times inside the 5.

Still, the rushing game needs more work, but a win is a win.

loved that quick pitch to JP to the left side. the blocking was juuuuust good enough for the 1st down .....as the game went on, iowa seemed to slide back to its previous unproductive run game. 2-3 yards on 1st down, same on 2nd down, incomplete pass, punt.

seems that when iowa is pinned inside its own 40 the playbook just gets smaller

I think part of that was a signal from KF to Wilson that was basically, "It's obvious you have a QB problem, so we aren't going to mix it up and scheme, but we aren't going to take a 30-minute knee, either..."

I think I've decided to call that 2 TE , I-formation thing the rope-a-dope offense.... I think they just go out there and do that thing when they want to kill time and wear teams down. No real threat unless the D really loses focus. Maybe we'll see the hawks do some play action out of it. For now its slightly more aggressive than the Victory formation.

Edit: When well out of scoring range - e.g. inside own 30

Last edited:
Im aware they count but since we do anything other than regular handoffs to the deep back so infrequently it's not really indicative of how effective our running game actually is on a general basis.

I'm all for more variation in the run game and less of Weisman running up the linemans butt.

We have run the jet sweep a few times this year, and showed jet sweep action more times. It is becoming part of our package. You can't complain that we don't show variation, then when we do show variation AND IT WORKS, to then discount the variation as if it was lucky.

This wasn't a 60 yard gain on a statue of liberty play. This was a 60 yard run on a play that is part of our offense, and the players admitted to working on a bunch last week.

That is a team working hard, developing, and implementing with success. It counts and IS indicative of our offense.

We have run the jet sweep a few times this year, and showed jet sweep action more times. It is becoming part of our package. You can't complain that we don't show variation, then when we do show variation AND IT WORKS, to then discount the variation as if it was lucky.This wasn't a 60 yard gain on a statue of liberty play. This was a 60 yard run on a play that is part of our offense, and the players admitted to working on a bunch last week. That is a team working hard, developing, and implementing with success. It counts and IS indicative of our offense.
This. The fake jet sweep run plays worked great at Purdue, and Iowa ran the fake jet sweep a couple of times against Indiana. This has been a wrinkle that is clearly effective.

Latest posts