Rushing

Rushing game wasn't really that great still.

Take away that big play and that's 43 carries for 147 yards 3.3 yards per carry...

Pretty much. Every play counts, but outside of the one big play, the rushing offense is about what we've seen all year. A little more consistency (4-5 ypc average) would be good to see.

Rushing game wasn't really that great still.

Take away that big play and that's 43 carries for 147 yards 3.3 yards per carry...

While i get what youre saying...Take away Coleman's 4 big runs of over 45 yards each, and we win by 5 touchdowns.

Without big run plays, no team ever rushes for more than about 150 yards.

All that said, I would like to see a little more consistency in the run game.

That's the best our backs have looked all year by far. Bullock made some great plays today, although the spin move got called back. I think you have to get Parker touches as a tailback also...in regular game sets. I'm not saying its great...but it was improved today. Guys were trying to cut it back and putting a foot in the ground and going. '

That being said, I think we need to do more inside zone or man blocking inside. Teams are reading keys on the outside zone and the end and tackle are beating our guys upfield and cutting it off, and we haven't created any seam. The inside zone stuff was really working and I could figure out why Davis didn't stay with it.

I've been pretty hard on our backs all year and today, I was impressed with the improvement.

While i get what youre saying...Take away Coleman's 4 big runs of over 45 yards each, and we win by 5 touchdowns.

Without big run plays, no team ever rushes for more than about 150 yards.

All that said, I would like to see a little more consistency in the run game.

Except the Parker run was by a guy lined up as a receiver.

Its not the same as their running back taking it out of the backfield.

loved that quick pitch to JP to the left side. the blocking was juuuuust good enough for the 1st down .....as the game went on, iowa seemed to slide back to its previous unproductive run game. 2-3 yards on 1st down, same on 2nd down, incomplete pass, punt.

seems that when iowa is pinned inside its own 40 the playbook just gets smaller

loved that quick pitch to JP to the left side. the blocking was juuuuust good enough for the 1st down .....as the game went on, iowa seemed to slide back to its previous unproductive run game. 2-3 yards on 1st down, same on 2nd down, incomplete pass, punt.

Saw it that way as well.

The Parker TD was a thing of beauty. Get that guy in space and he's a legit playmaker.

Reminds me a lot of Damian Sims but with more moves.

I loved that play too. I was so shocked by it that I was surprised it didn't get more yards. We need to do that more often for sure.

The Parker TD was a thing of beauty. Get that guy in space and he's a legit playmaker.

Reminds me a lot of Damian Sims but with more moves.
Exactly. And talke about moves - How about CJ's run? After watching Coleman today I wonder if we should take a spare TE and convert him into a RB...

Iowa got predictable and tried to run out of the I.

Iowa runs a lot better otu of a single back set, imo.

Except the Parker run was by a guy lined up as a receiver.

Its not the same as their running back taking it out of the backfield.
Am waiting for some Hawk fan to say it.. That play wasn't a KOK play or a Ferentz play it was a Davis play. Kudos to Davis on that play. Matter of fact, kudos to Davis on the first quarter. The Ferentz offense didn't rear its ugly head until later in the game.

Melvin Gordon and Percy Harvin have a lot of rushing yards from the slot. Those yards count.

Im aware they count but since we do anything other than regular handoffs to the deep back so infrequently it's not really indicative of how effective our running game actually is on a general basis.

I'm all for more variation in the run game and less of Weisman running up the linemans butt.

Latest posts