Run Orienteted Approach

thejumper5

So, I was thinking about whether or not its going to hurt us to be without Robinson, and I realized that when Iowa has been at their best under Ferentz, we have been a pass dominated who's best player was our QB. The two best years we have had were 2002 and 2004. In 2004, the more running backs we lost, it seems like the better we did. In 2002, we lost Aaron Greving and, though Russel and Lewis stepped up huge and put up great numbers, Banks becoming the key component of our offense was the key to that team being great. I know there are similarities and major differences between this team and those teams, but I personally think being a pass-first team will ultimately be the best thing for us. It still hurts to lose Robinson, but this can be weathered.

Thoughts?

Stanzi is a master at the play action fake, and we have a pretty good receiving corps. I'm thinking KOK needs to open up the offense this week as I don't think we'll be able to just run the ball all game. The Hawks are going to need to build a nice cushion and not let the Hoosiers still be hanging around in the 4th quarter.

McNutt for medium gains, Moeaki for possession/first downs, DJK for the long ball.

Disagree. I think we need to run the ball to beat some teams. Also, I think your memory has faded some. That 2002 team was a dominant running team. Freddie Russel could get four yards without having to make a move and the O-line was excellent. The 2004 team certaintly was pass-oriented. However, I think Tate's talents were better suited to short/intermediate ball-control passing than Stanzi's are. Stanzi's strongest asset is his deep ball, he has had trouble throwing underneath stuff, and he doesn't have a great completion percentage (something you need if you are going to pass lot).

Running does a lot for this team. It keeps the clocks moving which shortens the game and negates differences in talent. It prevents our Offense from killing us. If we predominantly pass we are very susceptible to good defenses (like OSU). Passing means more oppurtunities to get holding calls, sacks, fumbles, interceptions and so on. Our defense is too good to give teams easy defensive points. Running the ball ensures our defense is fresh, and by minimizing risk, ensures other teams have to drive the ball 80 yards on this defense without dropping passes, holding, turning it over, ect...

Last edited:
Indiana will do everything it can to make sure Iowa cannot run the ball. This strategy has kept other Iowa opponents in the game and given them a chance to win at the end. Iowa will still try to run, imo, and if they do, Indiana will be in the game to the very end.

Actually, I looked up some stats and you are right. In 2002, our QBs averaged 30.8 passes or runs per game. The rest of the team ran the ball an average of 35.1 times per game. This year the numbers are almost exactly flipped, with our QBs at about 35 touches per game, and the rushers having about 30 runs per game. I guess I thought that we threw the ball a lot more that season, but now that I think about it, I remember that Banks led the nation (or was close) in passing efficiency; I remember this largely being because teams were geared up for the run against us.

Indiana will do everything it can to make sure Iowa cannot run the ball. This strategy has kept other Iowa opponents in the game and given them a chance to win at the end. Iowa will still try to run, imo, and if they do, Indiana will be in the game to the very end.

That is exactly what I'm afraid of. Iowa has been fortunate to win the close ones, but all it takes is one bad call, one blown coverage, one (un) lucky bounce and a game could be lost.

If Indiana is stacking the box to stop the run, then it would be foolish to try to run, especially with Robinson out. That is when you run the play action and hit Moeaki for 10 yards, McNutt on the slant for 15-20. Once Indiana starts playing honest THEN you run at 'em.

Gotta keep the Hoosiers guessing.

That is exactly what I'm afraid of. Iowa has been fortunate to win the close ones, but all it takes is one bad call, one blown coverage, one (un) lucky bounce and a game could be lost.

If Indiana is stacking the box to stop the run, then it would be foolish to try to run, especially with Robinson out. That is when you run the play action and hit Moeaki for 10 yards, McNutt on the slant for 15-20. Once Indiana starts playing honest THEN you run at 'em.

Gotta keep the Hoosiers guessing.

Exactly, if they're going to stack the box on us, which most teams have done this year, we're going to have to pass and run playaction. That's why we got big plays against Arkansas St. and Michigan. All they did was put 8-9 guys in the box and made us beat them through the air. Unfortunetly, we won these games by slim margins. We need to make the defense pay for putting that many guys in the box a lot more often to keep them honest.

We need to run the ball in the B10, but I think what your saying is valid with our pass setting up the run this year. Last year SG carried the load and we passed off the run, this year different story.

Watch for Indiana to BLITZ a TON! If you notice in all our close games, teams are starting to blitz stanzi more and more. Stanzi does not do well under pressure, and I think you will see Iowa run a lot of screens and quick hitters. Indiana's defense is pretty solid, but Iowa just needs to take care of the ball and be patient on offense. Indiana's defense will have a blown coverage or a mis-alignment that will cost them.

KOK will take what they give us. What he comes out with does not always show what he thinks will be sucsessful. He is very good at setting defenses up for plays later in the game. Will be very surprised if we dont play this close to the vest. With the D we have you dont want your own offense to take us out of the game

Personally, I hope we come out Saturday slinging the ball all over the field. Get everyone involved...the WR's, the TE's, the FB's, the TB's, everyone. Invite the blitz, hit the hot routes, and tear up single coverage. If they sit back in zone, we need to make sure that our guys aren't in the same area when a pass is thrown (like happened so many times vs. MSU). Let's take advantage of the position where we are deepest (WR)!

It probably won't happen, but I'd love to see it.

Playing the game in Kinnick is a big factor. The crowd will help us on 'D'. Ricky will need to check out of plays if Indy blitzes a lot, which I think they will. Screens and draws need to be at the ready, as well as quick slants, to combat the aggressive play. We'll see. We haven't blown anybody out at home yet, so it's hard to make an argument that we can suddenly do it against Indy.

Personally, I hope we come out Saturday slinging the ball all over the field. Get everyone involved...the WR's, the TE's, the FB's, the TB's, everyone. Invite the blitz, hit the hot routes, and tear up single coverage. If they sit back in zone, we need to make sure that our guys aren't in the same area when a pass is thrown (like happened so many times vs. MSU). Let's take advantage of the position where we are deepest (WR)!

It probably won't happen, but I'd love to see it.

I agree, think we'll revert back to some of the earlier games this year and come out throwing, that will open up the run. Indiana will blitz the heck out of us with their DE's trying to get as much pressure as they can.

Latest posts