Rumors: Cole Heissel has left the team

thejumper5

I've read on a couple of other sites that lineman Cole Heissel has left the team to focus on school. He was praised in the spring as a DL but was listed as an OL on the most recent roster that I saw and is now not listed on the Iowa official website's roster. Anyone know what's going on here?

Me either. This has nothing to do with anything but at one time I had said if I had a boy he would be named Nicholas but I would call him Cole.

He was a walk-on true frosh last year from LeMars Gehlan Catholic (didn't know the school until I looked him up). He probably was never going to be more than a scout team guy, and while attrition is a part of the walk-on process, its still a bummer when a kid quits playing college football.

Definitely bummer news about Heissel. However, from what I've heard is that part of what motivated him to jump ship is that our young guys are simply pretty darn talented. Thus, I suspect that he figured that he'd be buried on the depth chart. It's one thing to be on 'ship and be buried ... it's quite another when you're walk-on and still buried.

I also liked how he projected on the OL ... however, we have pretty darn nice depth there too. He saw his options and realized that he'd probably be better served focusing on his academics. It's too bad because I figure that he could have developed into something ... however, I can understand it too.

As Homer stated, there was potential there. Kirk spoke highly of him in Spring practice. Apparently they used him on scout team for Bowl prep to imitate Missour DE and he did it very well. Kirk did say it would be a couple years before he may contribute but....
Cole obviously has his priorities and decided best to focus on academics. Have to respect that and I wish him well

If true that he would only be a scout team player for 4 years (and I don't know), I would say his priorities are definitely in the right place. He obviously is taking a major that just doesn't allow time for football and where is his future---football or his major? Many majors are tremendous time sinks and he probably just can't fit football into his schedule anymore. Football has to take a back seat. Plus, the young man would not have tutors or the study center available and he IS paying his own way. I think he made a very good choice.

Many players come to school thinking they are going to be doctor or vet or a scientist, whatever. When the reality of courses and football/bb collide many typically have to make a decision -- football or the career they had hoped for. So many/most switch to easier majors -- communication and so on.

Rare are the players that can take a full load of the sciences/ labs plus core courses, tutor or no tutor. And after the core courses are finished, the final years of school they only the science courses of their major, and it just gets more difficult. Some are gifted mentally as well as physically and can do both but not many.

Even if I was buried on the depth chart I'd stay on the team. Just for the chance to be around a D1 program and everything associated with it. I'm not blaming the kid because I don't know him or his situation, I just hope he made the right decision.

"Even if I was buried on the depth chart I'd stay on the team."

What would you do if you had to make a choice between your future and the football team? If all you wanted was to be on the football team, then you probably also aren't planning to major in one of the sciences or are planning to get a competitive GPA so you can go to medical or law school or graduate school in one of the sciences. Would you sacrifice your future going to medical school or sacrifice your future going to graduate school JUST to be on a football team? If so, your primary reason for going to college is to be on the football team, not getting the best education you possibly can. If your future plans collide with "being on a football team" would you be willing to throw away your future? Can't do both unless you go for an easier major, which is not going to help much when you graduate. What then?

I would say Cole is making a VERY good decision. He sees and wants a future and realizes football is NOT that important to stay on a scout team. He WANTS an education that will help him the rest of his life.

The right decision...it is a NO BRAINER.

Even if I was buried on the depth chart I'd stay on the team. Just for the chance to be around a D1 program and everything associated with it.

You might be surprised at yourself. It's a grind. I know quite a few guys that "quit" for the right reasons.

"Even if I was buried on the depth chart I'd stay on the team."

What would you do if you had to make a choice between your future and the football team? If all you wanted was to be on the football team, then you probably also aren't planning to major in one of the sciences or are planning to get a competitive GPA so you can go to medical or law school or graduate school in one of the sciences. Would you sacrifice your future going to medical school or sacrifice your future going to graduate school JUST to be on a football team? If so, your primary reason for going to college is to be on the football team, not getting the best education you possibly can. If your future plans collide with "being on a football team" would you be willing to throw away your future? Can't do both unless you go for an easier major, which is not going to help much when you graduate. What then?

I would say Cole is making a VERY good decision. He sees and wants a future and realizes football is NOT that important to stay on a scout team. He WANTS an education that will help him the rest of his life.

The right decision...it is a NO BRAINER.

Like I said, I don't know his situation...You obviously know him and if he's planning on med/law school good for him.

You would have to absolutely love putting in 6-8 hours a day at football and then studying (if you care about that sort of thing). You would have to love all of the work, weight room, on the field, conditioning, film etc. and know you would never play. have you ever been around a D1 football program? If you are a walk-on it aint great. They get none fo the benefits, not even the food provided to the other players. If you'd stick it out that's great, but since you can say that from a keyboard without little physical effort, I'm going to say i doubt I truly believe you 100%.

As noted, the time commitment to staying on the team is enormous. You probably wouldnt travel or maybe not even dress for home games but- M thru F, you are expected to practice, film study, etc.

This would probably mean only taking 12 hours a semester instead of 15-17 and would mean an extra semester or two in school. Since you are paying for all that yourself, $$ becomes a factor.

Sure, there is some good feeling to be associated with a winning D-1 team, but how associated would you really feel if you were nothing more than scout team/dummy holder during those four years?? Having to eat in dorms after practice instead of training table, etc.

His Iowa bio lists his major as recreation management.

A valid observation, but assuming he is a redshirt freshman and therefore a sophomore academically this year, I seriously doubt he has taken much more than the required pre-requisites at this point. I'm sure the listed major was nothing more than something put on a piece of paper to fill out his media report.

Latest posts