Rules question from the Purdue game

uihawk82

With about 3:06 left in the first half Rudock ran a QB sneak, the headlinesmen came running in, waving his arms and the clock stopped as I said at 3:06 or :07. The Ref walked up after the nice spot we got and signaled first down. Then the ref blew the whistle to set the play clock.

But at 2:46 the hawks were whistled for delay of game. I thought and you could see the Iowa coaches signaling that the play clock was not set with enough time. Only about 20-21 seconds of game clock time had expired from the timeout by the linesman to putting the ball in play to the penalty.

My question, if they stop the clock to take a measurement or look to see if it is a first down wouldn't there be a 40 second play clock at the ref blowing the ball ready for play?? Or would it be a 25 second play clock? The refs and clock operators screw this up too often.

I am still not over the dope referee who called delay of game on Central Mich on their first onside kick which the Hawks recovered (cuz the umpire was standing over the ball and wouldnt let their kicker kick it). studid

And during the telecast Glenn Mason called it a 'pitiful penalty' haha funny since it probably shouldnt have been a penalty

With about 3:06 left in the first half Rudock ran a QB sneak, the headlinesmen came running in, waving his arms and the clock stopped as I said at 3:06 or :07. The Ref walked up after the nice spot we got and signaled first down. Then the ref blew the whistle to set the play clock.But at 2:46 the hawks were whistled for delay of game. I thought and you could see the Iowa coaches signaling that the play clock was not set with enough time. Only about 20-21 seconds of game clock time had expired from the timeout by the linesman to putting the ball in play to the penalty.My question, if they stop the clock to take a measurement or look to see if it is a first down wouldn't there be a 40 second play clock at the ref blowing the ball ready for play?? Or would it be a 25 second play clock? The refs and clock operators screw this up too often.I am still not over the dope referee who called delay of game on Central Mich on their first onside kick which the Hawks recovered (cuz the umpire was standing over the ball and wouldnt let their kicker kick it). studid
If there is an appreciable delay for something like a measurement or to check the spot, then they come back with only the 25 second clock. This is not the first time the Iowa staff has been burned by this. You see time and time again that Iowa has to blow timeouts or take penalties either on the first possession of drives or after there was already another penalty. This is a huge, recurring issue for the Iowa staff and is not a problem with the officials. Just more examples of crappy clock management by KF and Co.

If there is an appreciable delay for something like a measurement or to check the spot, then they come back with only the 25 second clock. This is not the first time the Iowa staff has been burned by this. You see time and time again that Iowa has to blow timeouts or take penalties either on the first possession of drives or after there was already another penalty. This is a huge, recurring issue for the Iowa staff and is not a problem with the officials. Just more examples of crappy clock management by KF and Co.

Yep the coaches mess this up a lot but in this instance the seconds dont add up which is why I asked the question.

I agree with you that it must be a 25 second clock.

I was thinking the same thing when I watched it. It seemed very quick. Apparently only 20 seconds went off the game clock so the question is can the play clock start before the game clock? I doubt it. I bet they both should start at the same time in that situation.

I was thinking the same thing when I watched it. It seemed very quick. Apparently only 20 seconds went off the game clock so the question is can the play clock start before the game clock? I doubt it. I bet they both should start at the same time in that situation.

Didn't the college game adopt the NFL rule in the last couple of years? Basically the rule said that as soon as the prior play ended, the 40 second clock would start. In the case of no measurements (like in this case), the delay would be the official determining if it's a first down. Once they signal it, then they need to get the chains in place. Once the chains are in place they blow the whistle for ready to play to get the game clock moving...all of that happens while the 40 second clock is ticking down. Or at least that's how I thought it was, but that it had changed just recently...

Rivals.com College Football - Coming season features key rule changes

The biggest change will be a new 40-second play clock, which will have a major change on how the game looks and flows.

The goal is two-fold:

1. To speed up games

2. To develop consistency as to how soon the ball is ready to be put in play after a play.

"It will help from stadium to stadium," says Illinois coach Ron Zook. "And you better be ready to run plays. No doubt, offenses that play at a quicker pace will have an advantage."

As a point of contrast, the old 25-second play clock started when an official gave the "ready" signal after the ball was spotted. Now, the play clock will be set at 40 seconds after the ball is dead and started immediately.

Check the time it took the refs to signal first down, get the chains in place, and signal the ready for play. If it took 21 seconds to get the delay of game, I bet it took 19 seconds to get everything ready for play and that's where the penalty came from.

Rivals.com College Football - Coming season features key rule changes

Check the time it took the refs to signal first down, get the chains in place, and signal the ready for play. If it took 21 seconds to get the delay of game, I bet it took 19 seconds to get everything ready for play and that's where the penalty came from.

This could be true but then this also lends itself to controlled bias and delays at the hands of the officials.

I know there is a regular 40 second clock after most plays but coming out of a timeout and some other situations is just a 25 second clock.

I'm shocked -- SHOCKED -- to learn that the Iowa coaching staff either wasn't aware of this rule change from a few years back or hadn't figured out how to manage it.

This could be true but then this also lends itself to controlled bias and delays at the hands of the officials.

I know there is a regular 40 second clock after most plays but coming out of a timeout and some other situations is just a 25 second clock.

I believe when it comes to full stoppages in play, you are correct. I'm not sure what you mean by the first sentence...I think all the ref does on a clear first down is signal the first down and then move the chains (sometimes it's not even the same ref moving the chains). They will stand over the ball if the offense substitutes, as they have to give the defense time to do the same...

I just watched the play on DVR. It is 40 seconds from the end of the sneak to the play clock running out. After the sneak was blown dead, the linesman who spots the ball runs in and stops the clock, seemingly because he knows its close to a first down and they need to check. The officials stand around a bit, then 13 seconds after the play, the referee signals first down. So, there are either 27 seconds on the 40 second play clock at this time, or a moment later the 25 second clock is reset. The Iowa coaches acted like the clock reset was the problem, but it doesn't appear to be the case.

I just watched the play on DVR. It is 40 seconds from the end of the sneak to the play clock running out. After the sneak was blown dead, the linesman who spots the ball runs in and stops the clock, seemingly because he knows its close to a first down and they need to check. The officials stand around a bit, then 13 seconds after the play, the referee signals first down. So, there are either 27 seconds on the 40 second play clock at this time, or a moment later the 25 second clock is reset. The Iowa coaches acted like the clock reset was the problem, but it doesn't appear to be the case.

Very good description. So it was a regular 40 second clock.

I thought since the officials signaled timeout for a measurement or to look at the spot of the ball that the 40 second clock would not be running yet. But I guess you could say the play clock keeps running like anytime there is a first down to move the chains.

But what did the clock read when the official called the play dead and stopped the clock? Because if it was 3:06 and they called the penalty at 2:46 that means they only had 20 seconds to call the play and get the correct personal into the game. That does not seem right, because your play call and personal is different if the yardage would have been short of the 1st down.

Since they have gone to calling the play at the line of scrimmage Iowa has not had to many delay of game penalties.

But what did the clock read when the official called the play dead and stopped the clock? Because if it was 3:06 and they called the penalty at 2:46 that means they only had 20 seconds to call the play and get the correct personal into the game. That does not seem right, because your play call and personal is different if the yardage would have been short of the 1st down.

Since they have gone to calling the play at the line of scrimmage Iowa has not had to many delay of game penalties.

I don't know what the game clock said. Since they stopped the game clock, it indicated they were using an official time out to discuss the possible first down. Once they signaled first down, they would restart the play clock at 25 seconds. Either way, the Hawks were allotted more or less the correct time. The mechanics may have been confusing, I don't remember seeing the officials wind the clock.

That was on Iowa, no question. I think they get plays in slower now than they did under Okeefe. DJ Hernandez is going to need shoulder surgery in the offseason for as much as he pushes kids and pulls them back from the sideline on a single play call

Latest posts