Rule question

99topdawg

Can a free throw shooter step on or over the line before the ball hits the rim? (FTR, I know the answer.)

DQFNCF2VQAEFNZV.jpg:large

wow, 99, where did you get that? that would have completely changed the outlook of the game. that ft should not have counted and Iowa would have only been down by 3 instead of 4 (i think he made both to put them up 4). wow.

We were violated by the refs . Wasn’t that the front end of a one and one?

you know, you're right. I was wrong. that would have been Iowa's ball down 2 with 9.2 seconds left. look at the score line. Iowa was in bonus + and PSU wasn't. you're spot on.

but upon further review. we have at least 2 guys in the lane early also. Baer/Moss. ref probably let it ride if he was paying attention to it at all.

Are you sure, I would like to see someone paste that rule in this thread.
I’m sure about the violation on the shooter and I’m pretty sure the other players can actually go in after he releases the ball. In some states at the high school level nobody can engage until the ball hits the rim

I’m sure about the violation on the shooter and I’m pretty sure the other players can actually go in after he releases the ball. In some states at the high school level nobody can engage until the ball hits the rim

That is what I thought, the earlier poster seemed to say nobody could enter the lane until the ball hits the rim. but I thought rebounders on the lane could step in on release, any other player not on the lane has to stay behind the free throw line but I think they can cross the free throw line at ball release but the shooter cant .

That is what I thought, the earlier poster seemed to say nobody could enter the lane until the ball hits the rim. but I thought rebounders on the lane could step in on release, any other player not on the lane has to stay behind the free throw line but I think they can cross the free throw line at ball release but the shooter cant .
And perimeter players can’t enter the 3 point line until the release or the ball hits the rim? That rule gets a little hazy because they rarely enforce it.

Referees seemed determined to give the Hawkeyes the Shaft.....

This from Hawkeye Sports:

The Hawkeyes had it to within two, trailing 73-71 with 12 seconds remaining when junior Nicholas Baer appeared to strip Tony Carr cleanly in Iowa's full-court press. Baer was whistled for the foul and Carr hit both free throws to push the lead to four. Penn State made all four down the stretch to claim the four-point win.

Rewatched the game on BTN and was confounded by how the referees simply gave the Game Ball to Penn State. In the last 12 seconds of the game, down by 2, we applied full-court pressure and stole the ball cleanly without even a touch. BlindAss zebras refused to believe their eyes and called the foul on Baer. We had three players around the ball on the sideline 20 feet from the basket, only one Penn State player who had been picked clean. It could, very well, have led to the tying basket. Foul called and they shot two free throws. Game Over....

One of the referees certainly appeared to be the the Ghost of Williams Arena Past.....

:cool:

Last edited:
It appears that Home Court Advantage does NOT apply to basketball games at Carver.....

We will soon see how Home Court Advantage should actually work at Assembly Hall and Hilton.....

Referees seemed determined to give the Hawkeyes the Shaft.....

This from Hawkeye Sports:

The Hawkeyes had it to within two, trailing 73-71 with 12 seconds remaining when junior Nicholas Baer appeared to strip Tony Carr cleanly in Iowa's full-court press. Baer was whistled for the foul and Carr hit both free throws to push the lead to four. Penn State made all four down the stretch to claim the four-point win.

Rewatched the game on BTN and was confounded by how the referees simply gave the game to Penn S'tate. In the last 12 seconds of the game, down by 2, we applied full-court pressure and stole the ball cleanly without even a touch. BlindAss zebras refused to believe their eyes and called the foul on Baer. We had three players around the ball on the sideline 20 feet from the basket, only one Penn State player who had been picked clean. It could, very well, have led to the tying basket. Foul called and they shot two free throws. Game Over....

One of the referees certainly appeared to the the Ghost of Williams Arena Past.....

I have said for years that too many officials 'think' they see a foul or some act or 'assume' a foul occurred. One of the few times Kirk has talked about officials was the hold called on Rafael Eubanks in the 2009 home game against jNW. If you remember Stanzi was hurt, the hawks were struggling offensively, Wieggers breaks through a hole and goes 50+ plus yards for a td to give the hawks the late lead, ooopss late flag thrown, it seemed the official had to think or assume Eubanks held but replays and Podolak and Kirk said it was just a perfect block of complete leverage pancaking the defender. Again, an issue where the flag came from a side judge on an offensive center and not the umpire who was right there on top of the play.

The hawks would have been

The officials arent being favorites or hardly any of them are but they need to really see the penalty not just 'think' they see it.

Also, looks like PSU has taking a page out of Izzo's book: Just keep fouling, because the refs will eventually tend to limit the calls with the "I just don't think they could be fouling that much..." I think PSU committed 28 fouls that were called. Tends to throw you off your game when you are getting arm barred, hacked, grabbed by the jersey (saw that one). Finally, I have watched this crew as a season ticket holder for a long time and the two short guys need to get a new job. One watches the game while the other one is the master of the late whistle. The one who just watches is consistently out of position, so I guess he can be excused from making any calls.

Didn't get to see the game this weekend. A thought or two on the pic.

1. Officials are human and make mistakes.
2. That is horrible. If it was in the first half it's a non issue. The timing of the obvious missed call is sucks.
3. Yikes

Didn't get to see the game this weekend. A thought or two on the pic.

1. Officials are human and make mistakes.
2. That is horrible. If it was in the first half it's a non issue. The timing of the obvious missed call is sucks.
3. Yikes

The foul call on Baer's non-foul was terrible, too.