RPU just improved 11 points

Since the formula changed in 2005:

The lowest rated teams to get at-large bids (ALB): #67 USC, #64 Marquette (2011), #63 NC State (2005), #63 Stanford (2007).

With the bubble as weak as it is this year I dont see why 2 more wins and a loss to MSU (resulting in a mid 60's RPI) wouldnt get us in

I put together a spreadsheet listing the RPI, BPI, Pomeroy, Sagarin, and Massey ratings and ranking teams by their average rank in those ratings (I wish I had weighted RPI heavier for better accuracy, but I didn't). By that system, Iowa was the last at-large team in the field of 68, and that was when our RPI was 89.

Last edited:
I can't help but find it amusing that after the Nebby loss the theme on this board was our NCAA dreams were over. Now the mentality is that we're right back in the mix of things. Does anyone see it ironic that we still haven't learned to just sit back, enjoy the ride, and wait until atleast conference tournaments are under way and the regular seasons are over before we jump off the ledge, and then climb back up and do it again.

None of us know what will happen and despite the fact the bubble is incredibly weak this year, there's simply too many unknowns and too much basketball left to continue to make claims like we actually are on the selection committee and know our fate.

I can't help but find it amusing that after the Nebby loss the theme on this board was our NCAA dreams were over. Now the mentality is that we're right back in the mix of things. Does anyone see it ironic that we still haven't learned to just sit back, enjoy the ride, and wait until atleast conference tournaments are under way and the regular seasons are over before we jump off the ledge, and then climb back up and do it again.

None of us know what will happen and despite the fact the bubble is incredibly weak this year, there's simply too many unknowns and too much basketball left to continue to make claims like we actually are on the selection committee and know our fate.

But we need something to discuss here. I think these topics are better than slamming Woodbury, Oglesby, or the most disliked Hawks.

But we need something to discuss here. I think these topics are better than slamming Woodbury, Oglesby, or the most disliked Hawks.

I agree 100%, but my favorite part is the certainty that posters have. We have no idea what's going to happen, but to listen to people go back and forth about being right/wrong and then watching the board flip from "we're NIT bound and zero hopes for NCAA" to "win out and a good showing in BTT were in". That's what bothers me. It's the constant flip flop of those that think they have everything figured out that bothers me. And then there's listening to them argue back and forth because one believes were in and someone else is sure we're out. We're all hoping for a tournament appearance, why not just leave it at hope and leave the decisions to the selection committee.

I agree 100%, but my favorite part is the certainty that posters have. We have no idea what's going to happen, but to listen to people go back and forth about being right/wrong and then watching the board flip from "we're NIT bound and zero hopes for NCAA" to "win out and a good showing in BTT were in". That's what bothers me. It's the constant flip flop of those that think they have everything figured out that bothers me. And then there's listening to them argue back and forth because one believes were in and someone else is sure we're out. We're all hoping for a tournament appearance, why not just leave it at hope and leave the decisions to the selection committee.

I dont know....maybe because its a message board? Just sayin'...

If it bothers you, stay away. I don't know that anybody thinks they have everything figured out; we're all just speculating. This is what all bubble teams do.

It is because we have a fan base that makes knee jerk reactions about loses. Not realizing how weak the bubble is and continues to get weaker. I'll say what I've been saying if we win the next 3 we are in no matter what. Win 2 and don't get blown out we are in the discussion. The biggest crock in this whole mix is we are going to be penazlied for a 300+ non-conf when a 200+ non-conf is thought of as D-league vs NBA basketball, why I think that RPI is a dead system and should be done away with. If we win 2 and lose our 3rd it starts to come down to conference tourney's and people stealing spots. There always seems to be about 2-3 a year, this could be the biggest stopper in Iowa's tourney hopes.

So kicker wants more use of qualifiers I guess. Perhaps, maybe, if all things go right, or wrong, it could be that...

You are way too logical to be posting on a fan forum. Please run for president. You have my vote.

Latest posts