RPI is 52

Here's something super crazy to chew on...

Lets say Purdue beats Rutgers, loses @OSU and @MSU and then beats Illinois at home (all very possible). That probably still gets them a double bye and a 4 seed in the BTT. Lets say they then lose that first BTT game.

That leaves them 20-12 overall and 12-6 in the big ten. Currently their RPI is 59th and their SoS is not good at around 78.

I think if the scenario I described above happens exactly like that they could potentially be looking at finishing 4th in the big ten, winning 12 conference games, and MISSING the NCAA tournament. Those non-conference losses to North Florida, Gardner-Webb and Vanderbilt would really come back to bite them in the ace.

Here's something super crazy to chew on...

Lets say Purdue beats Rutgers, loses @OSU and @MSU and then beats Illinois at home (all very possible). That probably still gets them a double bye and a 4 seed in the BTT. Lets say they then lose that first BTT game.

That leaves them 20-12 overall and 12-6 in the big ten. Currently their RPI is 59th and their SoS is not good at around 78.

I think if the scenario I described above happens exactly like that they could potentially be looking at finishing 4th in the big ten, winning 12 conference games, and MISSING the NCAA tournament. Those non-conference losses to North Florida, Gardner-Webb and Vanderbilt would really come back to bite them in the ace.

Well Purdue is really a joke. They are taking advantage of a great unbalanced schedule and are always tough to beat at home especially when they can employ the hack, push, grab defense.

If they get in the tourney I look for them to be bounced immediately. They are last year's Nebraska.

The RPI in general is a joke. I heard Iona has a sub 50 RPI with a 211 rated SOS and zero top 50 RPI wins. Supposedly UNI has only played 2 teams in the top 50 in which they are 1-1.

Well Purdue is really a joke. They are taking advantage of a great unbalanced schedule and are always tough to beat at home especially when they can employ the hack, push, grab defense.

If they get in the tourney I look for them to be bounced immediately. They are last year's Nebraska.

The RPI in general is a joke. I heard Iona has a sub 50 RPI with a 211 rated SOS and zero top 50 RPI wins. Supposedly UNI has only played 2 teams in the top 50 in which they are 1-1.

I have said the same for years. SOS is also a stat that can be totally out of whack. Every team plays a bunch of crap teams early on. Better hope that the crap teams you play do not end up 3-24 or something like that. Even if you have played many great teams, a few crap teams with really bad records will drag your SOS down the tubes.

If you want to look at some RPI rankings that are out of whack, take a look at the Big 12. If you analyze the top teams in the league and their non conference schedules and wins and losses against other good teams from top leagues, it is really not that impressive. Yet, the teams in the league, all the way down to 11 loss Texas, have great RPIs.

The best example is Baylor. Their RPI is 7th. Non-league, they played McNeese St., South Carolina, Prairie View, Stephen Austin, Memphis, Illinois, Texas Southern, Vanderbilt, Tex. A&M, New Mex. St., Southern, and Norfolk St. (they lost to Illinois on a neutral court.

You tell me that looks like an RPI ranking of 7..

Another Big 12 RPI Joke is Okie State. RPI of 28, 24 better than Iowa. They played SE Louisiana, Prairie View, Northwest Oklahoma St., Milwaukee, Oregon St., Tulsa, North Texas, South Carolina, Memphis, Middle Tennessee, Maryland. They lost to Maryland by 9 (at Okie St.) and at South Carolina by 26! South Carolina has a losing record and is 4-11 in a very average SEC.

Okie State has a 7-8 record in conference and 17-10 overall.
RPI of 28? Get fricking serious.
The Big 12 in Basketball is much like the Big 12 was in football this year. Football teams flamed out in their bowl games. BB teams will do the same in the NCAA tourney.

Kenpom has us at #27 which I think is about right. (Not like I'm biased or anything.) I like to look at the other teams in our grouping and see who would be favored in a neutral court game in Vegas, and there aren't many teams from 20-50 that we would not be favored against. We really only have one bad loss and that was on the road at NW who just happens to be one of the hottest teams in the B10 right now. In fact in Kenpom's ranking we technically wouldn't have a bad loss since most people factor a bad loss as a #100 ranking or worse and NW is at #99 in Kenpom and Minnesota is #60.

Latest posts