Rotations

... a LOT more will be expected of Jones. Not to mention, he's got a rep as a good shooter. As of today, I'll be shocked if the intent is anything less than getting him 18 to 20 minutes, in combo with Uhl.

You guys are giving too many minutes to the newbies. I don't see any of them averaging more than 6 or 7 per game, with the majority coming in preseason.
Well, I'm confused

Wait, what? Is Moss really ineligible? When did that happen?
Ah yes nitpicking, because my last sentence definitely gave no hint whatsoever that I knew Moss would be on the team this upcoming year. I mean it's not like I mentioned that he would have to catch up with his teammates or learn our system.

For your services I award you one internet cookie.

1081913-cookie.jpg

Ideally, 1 or 2 of the freshmen would redshirt, but in the "play now or transfer" world of college BB, not sure redshirting anyone will happen unless an injury.

I think the only 2 players with guaranteed minutes are Gesell and Uthoff at 30-35 minutes each, and I believe the rest of the minutes will be handed out based upon matchups and who has the hot hand. Since Woody will not play more than 20 minutes per game due to foul trouble or lack of scoring, anyone who can rebound, defend the paint and hit some shots will be seeing time at the "5".

This is where my opinion differs. Woody will get as many minutes as he can handle. I believe he will be in the 30-35 minute range barring foul trouble. There is so much more to basketball than scoring and Woody doesn't have to score to have an impact on the game. And saying "anyone who can rebound, defend the paint and hit some shots" is rather simplistic of the center's role, even in Fran's offense. Woody actually defends in the paint very well and I don't see anyone else on the team defending the paint even close to the level Woody does. Note that a blocked shot is not good defense, but a last resort. Woody's rebounding dropped a bit last year but he was second on the team with .253 rebounds per minute played to Olaseni (.259) but higher than Uthoff (.211) and White (.232).

This is where my opinion differs. Woody will get as many minutes as he can handle. I believe he will be in the 30-35 minute range barring foul trouble. There is so much more to basketball than scoring and Woody doesn't have to score to have an impact on the game. And saying "anyone who can rebound, defend the paint and hit some shots" is rather simplistic of the center's role, even in Fran's offense. Woody actually defends in the paint very well and I don't see anyone else on the team defending the paint even close to the level Woody does. Note that a blocked shot is not good defense, but a last resort. Woody's rebounding dropped a bit last year but he was second on the team with .253 rebounds per minute played to Olaseni (.259) but higher than Uthoff (.211) and White (.232).

Woodbury is going to be as important to the success of this years team as any of the other starters. He looks like he has put in a lot of work in the weight room and on the basketball court since last year. He is going to be fun to watch. I think all the seniors are gearing up for their last hurrah. Iowa is going to have a lot of experience to rely on.

^this... its the old "Dickerson is gonna start over Mike" line of thinking in the off season.

Some of the Newbies are gonna have to play, but thinking 4 or more of them are going to average close to the minutes Uhl did last year?

doubtful.

I see one maybe 2 of them being able to contribute this season with Jones having the leg up on the rest.

Dickerson was the #1 JUCO PG in the country last year. The expectations that he should get starter minutes were not without some merit. Unfortunately it didn't materialize.

As for the newbs this year, expectations should be tampered. That said, I think Fran gives them a lot of minutes. As much as we can afford anyhow. They need to play. They need to grow. Otherwise we are in deep trouble next year.

Dickerson was the #1 JUCO PG in the country last year. The expectations that he should get starter minutes were not without some merit. Unfortunately it didn't materialize.

As for the newbs this year, expectations should be tampered. That said, I think Fran gives them a lot of minutes. As much as we can afford anyhow. They need to play. They need to grow. Otherwise we are in deep trouble next year.

I agree. The number 1 juco pg in the nation would be good enough to beat out a sophomore AC 9 times out of 10. He would probably beat out sophomore Gesell about half the time. Just because it didn't work out doesn't mean the expectations were unrealistic. AC had a lot to do with it too.

I don't know. Expectations are based off of previous performance, evaluation and ranking. All were high for Dickerson. Hence the ranking of #1. You really cannot get higher expectations than that can you?

Our last highly rated Juco that actually played for Iowa is still in the NBA. We had some pretty high expectations of him before he stepped on the court. The same could be said for Trey. Although to a lesser extent.

Regardless, best of luck to TD. I think if he learns to play within himself, And learns a variable speed tempo, other than full-throttle(as the coaches unsuccessfully tried to pound into his skull) , he could finish his career strong.

As for AC, he is good. He had a confidence struggle his sophomore year, but settled that last season. His defense is outstanding. His three point shot finished tops on the team at the end of the year. He could really pour it on his senior year.

Here go the expectations thing again.... But I expect AC's performance to win him some healthy minutes in the rotation this season. With larger minutes during tough games, especially where his defense is needed. And fewer minutes during the games we take over, with those other minutes going to C Williams to gather experience... So,
maybe not more minutes for AC on average for the season, but more minutes when it counts.

Last edited:
I think Fran learned a lesson a few years ago. Cohesion at the end of the season means you have to have a tighter rotation. Marble's last year, that team struggled down the stretch and part of the reason (not saying all of it) was that he played ten guys and minutes were fought for.

I expect him to experiment early, but by the time the big ten rolls around 8 maybe 9 are getting 99% of the minutes.

I believe that by mid season at least two freshman will be playing 12-18 minutes a game. I also think that freshman will account for more scoring than we have had in the past.

Latest posts