Ross Peterson just called the Rose Bowl

imported_ankle23

a 'mediocre' bowl game. dude. i understand that the playoff trumps the rose bowl - for iowa - THIS YEAR.......but put down the crack pipe....and P.S. Please brush up on your hawkeye history - brutal takes at times.

Last edited by a moderator:
He's right that anyone who'd rather go to the Rose Bowl than the playoff is an idiot, but I think he overestimates the number of Iowa fans who feel that way.

Of course the Rose Bowl isn't mediocre. But it has lost it's lustre. To the younger generations it isn't that big of a deal because it has been put on par with orange, fiesta, sugar...and now peach. To the older generations, those bowls were said in the same breath (minus Peach), but there was always a pause....before saying Rose Bowl.

I didn't listen to the radio, but here's two things he shouldn't conflate if that's what he's doing:

1. No Hawkeye fan would rather go to the Rose Bowl than the CFP.
2. The gap between the Rose Bowl and the CFP is much, much smaller than the gap between the Rose and, say, the Peach Bowl to any Iowa Fan.

He's right that anyone who'd rather go to the Rose Bowl than the playoff is an idiot, but I think he overestimates the number of Iowa fans who feel that way.

missing the point.

the rose bowl is still not a 'mediocre' bowl game.

getting to a 'bcs level' bowl game (rose, orange, sugar, fiesta) - iowa has won 1 in my lifetime. prior to that, iowa hasn't won one since 'evy' did it in the late 50s...

would i rather be in the playoff? of course. would i wish for the rose over being in a 4 game playoff? of course not.

is all of a sudden, with iowa being 11-0, does the rose bowl become a 'mediocre bowl'....of course not.

my, we've come a long way in a year...

I didn't listen to the radio, but here's two things he shouldn't conflate if that's what he's doing:

2. The gap between the Rose Bowl and the CFP is much, much smaller than the gap between the Rose and, say, the Peach Bowl to any Iowa Fan.

the point of what he was talking about was that he was starting to get tweets after osu losing about iowa fan being upset about possibly being locked out of a rose bowl birth. who knows - probably was one tweet - but it totally set him off the rocker....

the point of what he was talking about was that he was starting to get tweets after osu losing about iowa fan being upset about possibly being locked out of a rose bowl birth. who knows - probably was one tweet - but it totally set him off the rocker....

He's still conflating it though... people are worried about our fallback conditions got worse. The best case scenario hasn't changed.

I think a lot of Iowa fans would be happy with the Rose Bowl because its like we have un-finished business there. The 3 losses under Hayden sucked! Especially the 86 RB. I was at the 82 RB and walking out of that stadium was the worst! Before I die, I just want to see Iowa win one Rose Bowl.

Lets qualify above:

1) I, personally, would rather go to the Rose Bowl than a playoff game. No comparison. Now the team, I want to see go to the playoff rather than the Rose Bowl. Nuff said.

Of course the Rose Bowl isn't mediocre. But it has lost it's lustre. To the younger generations it isn't that big of a deal because it has been put on par with orange, fiesta, sugar...and now peach. To the older generations, those bowls were said in the same breath (minus Peach), but there was always a pause....before saying Rose Bowl.

I look at it like this. If OSU had won, we basically had the Playoff or the Rose. He can't figure out why some people wanted the Rose, even when people said they wanted it there as a fallback...just in case. He compared the Playoff to the NCAA tournament and the Rose to the NIT.

Here's how it see it. There are two cars parked on your front curb and you get to pick a car. You don't get the car, but what's inside. If you pick one car, the playoff, you get Kate Upton and all she's wearing is flip-flops. If you don't get that car, you get Christie Brinkley, who people my age grew up drooling over. She's still pretty hot, not as hot as some, but it would fulfill a lifelong dream. Well, Christie just went home with Urban Meyer, so now our fallback prize is, like, Reece Witherspoon. She'd still be nice to have, but it's not what we could have had.

Ross Peterson is an idiot. The Rose Bowl would be tremendous. Especially considering the expectations at the beginning of the season.

Are Peterson and Chris Williams still doing that Cyclone propaganda show in the afternoon?

These probably are not the same callers (tweeters), there must be more than 1...I couldn't believe when I heard on radio when visiting Des Moines this past week, where callers actually would rather play in rose bowl game than CFP game. wtf? Not as a fallback either. The radio host tried to explain logic to them, but in the end it appeared there was only bowl the caller knew well.

Are Peterson and Chris Williams still doing that Cyclone propaganda show in the afternoon?

I was hesitant about that show at first, but have grown to like it. Good balanced coverage of both teams, and entertaining. Marty and Miller are pathetic in comparison. No contest.

Latest posts