Rose Bowl Still Within Reach

Well... in order to win the Big Ten and make it to the Rose, we have to win out and have Wisconsin lose at least once more. Problem is, we still have three tough games left but Wisconsin doesn't.

If we win out, we'll likely share for the conference with perhaps MSU and Wisconsin, and then may not end up in the Rose.

Here's the thing: Both the optimists (Rose Bowl) and pessimists (7-5) are right. This team could go either way... BUT...

The fact is, despite the errors on the field by the players, the truth is Iowa lost to Wisconsin because Kirk Ferentz was out-coached by Bret Bielema. Period.

This occurred on many levels, but let me point out several:

1 -- The defense makes a game-saving three and out with the crowd going wild, and the entire coaching staff fails to play for the fake punt when there's NO reason to do ANYTHING else at that stage of the 4th quarter.
2 -- After a key interception in the 4th quarter and needing only about 30 yards for a TD, instead of showing any killer instinct, Iowa runs a couple of useless plays and settles for a six-point lead, unbelievably relying on an unreliable kicking game, and leaving Wisconsin needing only a TD and PAT to win...
3 -- You don't use your timeouts earlier on Wisconsin's last drive.
4 -- You fail to spike the ball with 12 seconds left and WASTE your LAST time out, and thus your LAST chance to try a game-winning FG.

There were others, but these are the most egregious. Losing to a better team is going to happen and there can be no legitimate complaints when it does. But when you get out-coached and allow a good, but not better team, escape with a one-point win in your own house, well, there's simply no excuse for that. What a shame...

wasnt too long ago we won 1 game and all you who want ferentz fired said just give him time.now it is turned around and u want him fired.who do u get? wishful thinkn Natl title realistically big ten title still in reach. question 2day tomorrow we prepare Mich St. you want to complain move to Boise or TCU go undefeated and play in a crap bowl. we will b allright

The only bowl I'm concerned with right now is the toilet bowl and how many times I'm going to fill it with vomit tonight.

I'm ****** but its time for the coaches to earn their paychecks. Michigan & Wisconsin have found huge holes in Iowa's defense. Gotta get that fixed.

hawks realistically lose 3 more games. next week to michigan state, NW and Ohio State. 7-5 year when Stanzi was the 'darkhorse heisman candidate' and we had the best D line in the country. Stanzi may not throw the picks this year, but his pocket presence has been bad and its easy to keep your accuracy up when 75% of your passes are rollouts and check downs.

You are a *******.

There is no Rose Bowl bid, there is not Big Ten title after today. There's just not going to be either of those things. Our coaching staff plays "not to lose" and there is no way...no way you win titles by playing "not to lose." This team could very easily (after seeing today's performance by the coaching staff AND the players) lose to MSU next week, to NW, and to OSU. Not to mention, Indiana gave us all we could handle last year before the fourth quarter. I'm not quite so sure after seeing the effort on the field and on the sidelines if a Florida Bowl is even realistic. If we finish below MSU, Wisc and OSU, we are very likely not going to be playing in Florida this year. Today hurts because our coaches and players showed us they don't have the instinct of champions. They were outcoached and outplayed...it's a shame...I was stoked about this season...now just wishing it would end.

The only bowl I'm concerned with right now is the toilet bowl and how many times I'm going to fill it with vomit tonight.

I'm ****** but its time for the coaches to earn their paychecks. Michigan & Wisconsin have found huge holes in Iowa's defense. Gotta get that fixed.

No Xerxes, they didn't find holes, they exploited the ones that have been there since 1999. WI spread us out when they needed plays because they knew we wouldn't/couldn't adjust to their packages and they knew this because they watched film. MI spread us out, and shot themselves in the foot, fortunately.

We will struggle in the rest of our games this season. We might win them, but KF does not get a pass, we pay him too much money, regardless of the outcome.

Latest posts