Roll Call: Drake vs. Iowa

I don't know why they said it was sold out. Dolph said they were 300 short of a sellout. I would guess there were about 2,000-2,500 iowa fans there. Good showing. Drake is pathetic.

I don't know why they said it was sold out. Dolph said they were 300 short of a sellout. I would guess there were about 2,000-2,500 iowa fans there. Good showing. Drake is pathetic.
I missed the game, went to a NHL game here (not even sure if it was on TV or not). This one is a lose lose for me (or a win win depending on how you look at it) as I love the Hawks, but also am a Drake Alum. Drake does not have the local fan support, they are the little dog in the area, but I always went to the Iowa or Iowa State game (in addition to some of the other games when my schedule allowed).

Are you calling the Drake Fans pathetic or the team pathetic?

Fans - well like I said, as a small mid major it is hard for them to compete with Iowa and Iowa State for fans - most of their students are from out of state, and a good percentage of their grads do not stay in state, it is hard for them to build up a good fan base. Go to Indianapolis, my guess it is that you will find a heck of a lot more Indiana fans, especially in Butler's down years.

I was there, took my 8 year old to her first Iowa basketball game. We went to an area in a corner where no one was sitting and had three for four rows of bleachers to ourselves. They could have gotten a few hundred more in there, no problem.

I was there, took my 8 year old to her first Iowa basketball game. We went to an area in a corner where no one was sitting and had three for four rows of bleachers to ourselves. They could have gotten a few hundred more in there, no problem.
I hate to hear that - this is one game that they should always sell out - when we (yes, I said we as in Drake) made the run a few years ago, I believe a lot of the games were close to sell outs.

Although it is great family fun and a good price if you have little ones.

Last edited:
Good atmosphere in the Knapp Center tonight.

I would call the crowd 60 to 65% Drake and 35 to 40% Hawks fans.

The strange thing was I had a seat which a lady came up to before the game started with the same ticket. I am wondering if Drake has a ticketing problem. The usher came up and looked at both of our tickets and just kind of shrugged his shoulders. He had no clue what to do. Fortunately there were a few empty seats nearby that she sat in and all was well. If the game would have been a sellout it could have been a major problem.

I hate to hear that - this is one game that they should always sell out - when we (yes, I said we as in Drake) made the run a few years ago, I believe a lot of the games were close to sell outs.

Although it is great family fun and a good price if you have little ones.

Charging $30 a ticket isnt very family friendly.

Iowa charges 25 for every non-conference game. This is one maybe three games on Drakes schedule that will have a crowd like that, and there were a lot of kids in the crowd tonight.

Big Ten tickets for Iowa are $20 this year. When you can't sell 6,500 tickets for the biggest game of the year, the price is wrong.

I was in front row of Drake student section.

Haverhill

Where you the Hawk fan getting mugged by the Drake students in the first half while Drake was shooting free throws?

I was sitting about 11 rows up on the opposite baseline and everyone around me was laughing their A$$e$ off watching it play out.

Haverhill

Where you the Hawk fan getting mugged by the Drake students in the first half while Drake was shooting free throws?

I was sitting about 11 rows up on the opposite baseline and everyone around me was laughing their A$$e$ off watching it play out.

Haha, no. I guess you don't know my background very well...

Went to drake for 7 years and attended a lot of games over that time. Whomever schedules this game always screws the students as it seems to always be while students on break. Students have to choose whether to stick around for game or head home...only the diehards stick around.

Would love to see Drake good again but don't see it happening. Not enough in-state talent. Indiana is full of talent so that helps Butler.

Haha, no. I guess you don't know my background very well...

That would be correct.

But thinking about the kid getting mugged in the front row still makes me laugh this morning.

He was in an Iowa T-shirt and was trying to distract the Drake players as they shot free throws.

Big Ten tickets for Iowa are $20 this year. When you can't sell 6,500 tickets for the biggest game of the year, the price is wrong.

Fair enough, but to make an accurate comparison you probably need to compare what Drake charged last night to what Iowa charged for the ISU game, and then compare what Drake charges for conference games to what Iowa charges.

Just taking a look at the Drake site, ticket prices for the their home game against UNI range from 5-25 bucks.

Also, FWIW my ticket from last night had "20.00" stamped right on it.

Lastly, announced attendance was 6671, which is > than 6500. Drake lists a sellout as right around 7000.

That would be correct.

But thinking about the kid getting mugged in the front row still makes me laugh this morning.

He was in an Iowa T-shirt and was trying to distract the Drake players as they shot free throws.

I got a kick out of the two guys in ISU gear I saw walking around. Channel 13 showed couple seconds of those guys cheering for Drake. Tools.

Anyone know why the Drake student section had cardboard cutouts of various movie characters? I know for sure I saw Rocky and then several Toy Story characters. A tad strange...

Latest posts