roles evolving

Zstatman

With the N Florida win we are starting to see the roles each player will have and what we can expect.

My thoughts:
- Garza is a budding star and most nights can get 20 points, 10 boards, although he will get shutdown at times
- Weiskamp has good all around game, should be a leader with 10-15 points, 5 boards, good D
- Nunge has potential all around good game, need him to score 10-15, 5-7 boards, could get better with time
- Fredrick seems to have good all around game, should shoot better with experience
- Connor, I think, is good for 5-10 assists per game, won't score much, maybe 5 ppg
- JBo can now be what he was always meant to be, a designated shooter. Still a chance he redshirts
- Joe T is the most athletic PG of the Fran era, should get better with time
- Kriener should get 5 boards and 5-10 points a game in limited minutes, if so he'll be doing his job
- Pemsl will rebound, play good D, give great energy, any points he scores will be a bonus
- Evelyn could be wondering why he came to iowa with JBo's return. Still he will shoot bettter and could play key roles in certatin games
- Patrick redshirt? Not sure what's going on with him

1. Garza is a skilled big man with good footwork, but I don't think he can sustain this once he runs up against more athletic bigs. The list of Iowa players, historically, who have avg'd 20 and 10 is somewhere around zero...so I doubt Luka gets to that.
2. I agree about Joe W....but I'll admit that I expected more out of him to start the year. I'm hoping we don't see a sophomore slump.
3. Nunge reminds me somewhat of Moss in the sense that he'll have a night where he drops 15-18 and another night where he goes 1-8 from the field with 5 TOs.
4. I like Frederick in that he understands how to play D, he's got a little mean streak to him, and he's got the ability eventually stretch the D with his range.
5. The list of Iowa players, historically, who have avg'd more than 5 assists game is somewhere between 1 and 2. Connor isn't anywhere near that.
6. JBo is a much better shooter with the ball in his hands than trying to run around and come off screens because he's so slow. He's the type of shooter that needs to dribble to set his guy and his shot up....not coming off screens for a quick catch and release. He's even admitted as much in interviews. He'll shut it down after 9 games and get ready for next year.
7. Joe T is going to be good eventually. He'll struggle this year against more experienced guards that are just as quick as he is...but I'm looking forward to seeing his growth over the next couple of years.
8. Kreiner's job should be to spell Garza and not turn the ball over. Anything above that is gravy.
9. Pemsl's job should be to spell Joe W and/or Nunge and knock a few heads together. Anything above that is gravy.
10. Evelyn probably should have stayed in the MAC.
11. Patrick should redshirt.

I would not make any assumptions from a game against North Florida. Remember the Alamo? How about remember DePaul? North Florida is not DePaul and DePaul likely would not even stack up against the top eight teams in the B1G. So at this point there are reasons to be concerned about this team.

Now if some of our quicker younger players could develop into impact players that could make a seriously difference on the heights this team can achieve. Right now I think most Iowa fans are likely where I am and that is a “wait and see” mindset. Mainly meaning let’s wait and see how we do against legit power five conference caliber teams. So far nothing’s been proven.

I guess we could take a optimistic perspective and just hope that Depaul played out of their minds against us and the pounding we took was just an fluke on both teams part (we had a very below average game). Like I said we will have to “wait and see”.

Last edited:
I'm 100% wait and see this point..... I have real concerns about this team. I still think they are gonna struggle....question is, can they cover up enough of their deficiencies to be worthy to dance. It really remains to be seen. The first half last night was not great.

I think the OP is a very Rosy outlook on the team.

-Garza and Wieskamp are probably 2nd team all B1G type players. Garza’s defense is still a liability and Wieskamp has trouble creating his own.

-Fredrick, Nunge, and Toussaint all have potential to be quality players at this level but are still all young and will take their lumps. On Nunge specifically I’ve said all along I don’t care much about his scoring. I wanted to see rebounding and rim protection. Haven’t seen much of that yet, he’s played better the last two games against inferior opponents but need to see more.

-Bohannon is the ultimate wild card. If we get him back close to what he can be we are a very dangerous offensive team.

-Connor and Kriener are decent role players. Kriener can be very frustrating to watch at times, but can have really good games. Connor plays hard but has limitations.

-Evelyn and Pemsl have been pretty bad. They’ll have better days but personally I’m not sure if they should be in the rotation. Evelyn’s defense intrigues at least his quickness but right now he looks like a bigger offensive liability than Maishe Dailey even was.

I'm 100% wait and see this point..... I have real concerns about this team. I still think they are gonna struggle....question is, can they cover up enough of their deficiencies to be worthy to dance. It really remains to be seen. The first half last night was not great.
Exactly. Pretty much every team has deficiencies, it’s how well you can mask them. Our offense should be pretty high level again, it will just come down to if we can get enough defense. We also have a lot of younger guys that might have some bad days, that could be too much to overcome.

- Garza is a budding star and should be our scoring leader, but no way he's going to get "20 & 10 most nights."
- Weiskamp needs to be more aggressive on both ends of the floor
- Nunge is far too slow and plodding to be an effective perimeter player
- Fredrick: the jury is out for me.
- Connor: I love his toughness. Again, no way he's getting "5-10 assists/game" Horrible looking shot. A good glue guy
- JBo I hope he redshirts, but I don't think he will. He isn't moving very well, laterally, at this time. I'm worried about him.
- Joe T is the most athletic PG of the Fran era, he is the 2nd coming of Ronnie Lester. I absolutely love his game!
- Kriener should get 5 boards and 5-10 points a game in limited minutes, if so he'll be doing his job
- Pemsl will rebound, play good D, give great energy, any points he scores will be a bonus
- Evelyn could be wondering why he came to iowa with JBo's return. Haven't been impressed with him thus far.
- Patrick Health problems are a concern. He should also redshirt and I think he will.

I'm not sure how many people know this but Weiskamp fell and hurt his right elbow the first game of the year (or maybe it was the exhibition) and has been playing hurt ever since. This last game was the first one he's felt fine in. That explains his shot being off and him not hinting it. Its surprising to see people say he's not the player who will get his own shot or shoot much. That's the exact player he is.

I'm not sure how many people know this but Weiskamp fell and hurt his right elbow the first game of the year (or maybe it was the exhibition) and has been playing hurt ever since. This last game was the first one he's felt fine in. That explains his shot being off and him not hinting it. Its surprising to see people say he's not the player who will get his own shot or shoot much. That's the exact player he is.

That was him on the alley oop dunk right. I sure hope Joe T starts soon, and they look to attach with this more.

- Garza is a budding star and should be our scoring leader, but no way he's going to get "20 & 10 most nights."
- Weiskamp needs to be more aggressive on both ends of the floor
- Nunge is far too slow and plodding to be an effective perimeter player
- Fredrick: the jury is out for me.
- Connor: I love his toughness. Again, no way he's getting "5-10 assists/game" Horrible looking shot. A good glue guy
- JBo I hope he redshirts, but I don't think he will. He isn't moving very well, laterally, at this time. I'm worried about him.
- Joe T is the most athletic PG of the Fran era, he is the 2nd coming of Ronnie Lester. I absolutely love his game!
- Evelyn could be wondering why he came to iowa with JBo's return. Haven't been impressed with him thus far.
- Patrick Health problems are a concern. He should also redshirt and I think he will.

Your right over all on Evelyn. Though did you can catch that play in 2nd half yesterday? He split two defenders and made a great pass after help defense came. It was a move that only Joe T could also do.

1. Garza is a skilled big man with good footwork, but I don't think he can sustain this once he runs up against more athletic bigs. The list of Iowa players, historically, who have avg'd 20 and 10 is somewhere around zero...so I doubt Luka gets to that.
2. I agree about Joe W....but I'll admit that I expected more out of him to start the year. I'm hoping we don't see a sophomore slump.
3. Nunge reminds me somewhat of Moss in the sense that he'll have a night where he drops 15-18 and another night where he goes 1-8 from the field with 5 TOs.
4. I like Frederick in that he understands how to play D, he's got a little mean streak to him, and he's got the ability eventually stretch the D with his range.
5. The list of Iowa players, historically, who have avg'd more than 5 assists game is somewhere between 1 and 2. Connor isn't anywhere near that.
6. JBo is a much better shooter with the ball in his hands than trying to run around and come off screens because he's so slow. He's the type of shooter that needs to dribble to set his guy and his shot up....not coming off screens for a quick catch and release. He's even admitted as much in interviews. He'll shut it down after 9 games and get ready for next year.
7. Joe T is going to be good eventually. He'll struggle this year against more experienced guards that are just as quick as he is...but I'm looking forward to seeing his growth over the next couple of years.
8. Kreiner's job should be to spell Garza and not turn the ball over. Anything above that is gravy.
9. Pemsl's job should be to spell Joe W and/or Nunge and knock a few heads together. Anything above that is gravy.
10. Evelyn probably should have stayed in the MAC.
11. Patrick should redshirt.
I can't recall an modern Iowa players averaging 20/10, but historically its probably happened. I think Greg Stokes came close one year. Kevin Kunnert, Sky King and Don Nelson are other possibilities.

I think the OP is a very Rosy outlook on the team.

-Garza and Wieskamp are probably 2nd team all B1G type players. Garza’s defense is still a liability and Wieskamp has trouble creating his own.

-Fredrick, Nunge, and Toussaint all have potential to be quality players at this level but are still all young and will take their lumps. On Nunge specifically I’ve said all along I don’t care much about his scoring. I wanted to see rebounding and rim protection. Haven’t seen much of that yet, he’s played better the last two games against inferior opponents but need to see more.

-Bohannon is the ultimate wild card. If we get him back close to what he can be we are a very dangerous offensive team.

-Connor and Kriener are decent role players. Kriener can be very frustrating to watch at times, but can have really good games. Connor plays hard but has limitations.

-Evelyn and Pemsl have been pretty bad. They’ll have better days but personally I’m not sure if they should be in the rotation. Evelyn’s defense intrigues at least his quickness but right now he looks like a bigger offensive liability than Maishe Dailey even was.
Cordell had exfended minutes last night to show what he could do offensively.

It wasn't much.

He contributed decent defense and had seven boards, but he doesn't even bother to run the floor much anymore. Remember how he used to fill the lane on the break? Remember how he could seal a defender and use a million moves around the hoop?

In the half court sets he rarely poses that "demand the ball" mentality anymore. Even Kriener was occasionally flashing underneath, making himself available.

Cordell had exfended minutes last night to show what he could do offensively.

It wasn't much.

He contributed decent defense and had seven boards, but he doesn't even bother to run the floor much anymore. Remember how he used to fill the lane on the break? Remember how he could seal a defender and use a million moves around the hoop?

In the half court sets he rarely poses that "demand the ball" mentality anymore. Even Kriener was occasionally flashing underneath, making himself available.
He’s saving it for ISU.

I’m still wait and see as well. But I’m also aware of how tough our non conference schedule is. So going 7-5 won’t have me down on this team if I like what I see.

Side Note - I’m already very high on Fredrick and Toussaint. I think they will be the best backcourt Iowa has seen in some time the next 3 years...good this year but learning the ropes.

Wieskamp was wide open way too many times against N. Florida & not even touch the ball. Wieskamp or Garza need to be touching the ball every time down the court until Iowa starts blowing out directional schools like they should. JBo shouldn't be shooting NBA range shots until he's back to 100%. He's only hurting the team when shooting early in the shot clock at this point.

Pemsl is getting minutes due to his defense. Hopefully, we see his freshman offense soon. He hustles on defense & that has been lacking on this team in the past.

Everything you need to know about Joe Toussaint in shown in this photo. I absolutely LOVE the fact that he goes after his missed shot on offense. Shortest guy in the lane and he gets the offensive rebound + he's only a couple games into his college career. He's only going to improve. Watch out BIG10, Iowa has a PG.

Why is it so hard to crash the offensive boards Fran?

Go Hawks!

Attachments

• T.pdf
    387.2 KB · Views: 6
I’m still wait and see as well. But I’m also aware of how tough our non conference schedule is. So going 7-5 won’t have me down on this team if I like what I see.

Side Note - I’m already very high on Fredrick and Toussaint. I think they will be the best backcourt Iowa has seen in some time the next 3 years...good this year but learning the ropes.

Good one. I forgot about CJ. He's going to be pretty good. Jury is still out on Bakari Evelyn. He's being aggressive, hoping his shot will start falling.

Wieskamp was wide open way too many times against N. Florida & not even touch the ball. Wieskamp or Garza need to be touching the ball every time down the court until Iowa starts blowing out directional schools like they should. JBo shouldn't be shooting NBA range shots until he's back to 100%. He's only hurting the team when shooting early in the shot clock at this point.

Pemsl is getting minutes due to his defense. Hopefully, we see his freshman offense soon. He hustles on defense & that has been lacking on this team in the past.

Everything you need to know about Joe Toussaint in shown in this photo. I absolutely LOVE the fact that he goes after his missed shot on offense. Shortest guy in the lane and he gets the offensive rebound + he's only a couple games into his college career. He's only going to improve. Watch out BIG10, Iowa has a PG.

Go Hawks!

One time the ball was getting rotated around and it got to an open Connor where he shot the 3. Weiskamp was wide open for the extra pass. That's a pass you see made 9 times out of 10 in basketball. It just seems like that was the exact play you see once per game that makes the announcers talk about the extra pass and how unselfish everyone is, yet it's the obvious play. It was a terrible decision by Connor and really out of character for him. It gave me the feeling that he was more concerned with proving he's willing to shoot in that moment than making the right play.

Good one. I forgot about CJ. He's going to be pretty good. Jury is still out on Bakari Evelyn. He's being aggressive, hoping his shot will start falling.

I'm not sure what Evelyn's shot normally looks like, but it sure looks to me like he can't even release the ball properly right now. I don't remember a shot he took in the last few games that was even close to going in. He's struggling bad with confidence right now.

Go Hawks!
Joe T should be starting. Connor only playing backup minutes but he's the coaches son. I just hope it doesn't piss JT off and he transfers.