Robles 125?

eyekwah

I follow wrestling casually. After watching some of the Robles match with McDonough it was obvious that Robles should have been wrestling two or three weight classes higher. Sure, he has the handicap of one leg, but that missing weight didn't stop his torso from being at a higher weight class. It was obvious that his upper body was not at the 125 lb weight class.

Yeah he's likely a 157 with two legs

But its hard for me to complain, the kid's worked his butt off, I have a ton of respect for him.

The kid is an undefeated national champion and he didn't exactly have the easy road to get there. Congrats to him.

wrestling is a sport based on weight. If he is 125 he is 125. one leg is not a great advantage. robles just found a great style and way to make it an advantage to him just like every athlete tries to do. that is what sport is. find a way to use your ability to be better than your opponent. anthony is a great wrestler and from what i have seen an amazing kid. we can sit here all day and say its not fair or whatever. he may not be the better wrestler maybe he is. fact of the matter is he had a way to bear McD last night so congratulation to him

Actually his road was a lot easier considering the way his top side bracket came out...everyone outside the program wanted to degrade Matt and Montell's road to the final last year because of the way their brackets worked out and now nobody says a word about Robles because of his story. ESPN sets these things up to hate people because of the way that they cover them.

wrestling is a sport based on weight. If he is 125 he is 125. one leg is not a great advantage. robles just found a great style and way to make it an advantage to him just like every athlete tries to do. that is what sport is. find a way to use your ability to be better than your opponent. anthony is a great wrestler and from what i have seen an amazing kid. we can sit here all day and say its not fair or whatever. he may not be the better wrestler maybe he is. fact of the matter is he had a way to bear McD last night so congratulation to him
So it isn't an advantage but he made it an advantage...make up your mind. It was clearly an advantage. He has gotten a lot stronger since last year and refined his style to keep from being taken down. Look at the 3rd period. Matt let him "up" and came around front and no escape was given because he in on his butt. Then Matt comes back around and no takedown. How is that not an advantage to just on ur butt and not move, yet not get stalling called like every other wrestler.

Matt is really long...maybe they should bump him up a weight class too. It's not fair that he has a lot longer limbs than most of his opponents. It's about weight...it always has been.

Looking a few videos of his matches, he never attacks(can he?), thus the action comes to him at his level(very low), so he has an advantage(he found it and uses it appropriately) and reacts to the attack and is in better position when others are out of position trying to get to him. My question, is is the match called fairly, what if the other wresler doesnt attack but waits out to react(maybe this has happened, I only watched a few matches of his), is the other wrestler called for a stall? Is that fair?

Regardless, he won it all, and kudos to him, he earned it on the mat.

Robles was up 7-0 pretty early. At that point, he still had his stall warning in the bank. He did his work in the first period, and was not going to take risks. He wrestled when he had to, wrestled smart when he had to.

Inferring that a 1 legged man has an advantage over a normal legged man in any sport is ridiculous. Think about that for a moment. :confused:

Just when you think you've seen it all...

Inferring that a 1 legged man has an advantage over a normal legged man in any sport is ridiculous. Think about that for a moment. :confused:

Just when you think you've seen it all...

There are a lot of people on the board that can't accept an Iowa defeat no matter what happens. It's sad. They are the same people on here constantly complaining about blown calls after every football loss. Part of the message board life I'm afraid.

Robles deservedly won the national. The weight class is 125, and he weighs 125. That guy has worked his *** off, and deserves everything he has gotten.

That being said, to say he doesn't have an advantage is not accurate. MM shoots an outside, or sweep single almost exculsively. That is simply not possible against Robles. Plus the guy is infinately stronger. Imagine Wisconsin walking into Kinnick Stadium and being told "Oh, by the way, you're not allowed to run the ball. Good Luck passing the ball with your crappy QB every play!"

Matt is really long...maybe they should bump him up a weight class too. It's not fair that he has a lot longer limbs than most of his opponents. It's about weight...it always has been.

That doesn't work in this argument ,it maybe the stupidest thing I've heard

That doesn't work in this argument ,it maybe the stupidest thing I've heard

Why doesn't that argument work? It's about the weight of the wrestler. Matt uses his long arms to his advantage...just like Robles uses his lack of a leg to his advantage.

Robles deserves credit where it's due. In neutral Mcd always works to the 2 on 1 tie with wrist control to set up a lot of shots. There is no way a 125 pounder can get wrist control on Robles as strong as he is. That's wrestling, just a bad match up. Mcd had some advantages last night as well, used to the environment, less media distraction, TWO LEGS.

The only thing I don't like is that when we look back on his career it is very possible that he is a 3x champ and his only championship blemish was against a niche wrestler.

McD will never have to wrestle that type of match again. McD knew what he had to do, but just couldn't get past Robles' strength. I'm sure Matt will be the first one to tell you that Robles deserved the win. The way he utilized his tilts was unbelievable. The good thing is we get McD for 2 more years and again...he'll never have to wrestle that type of match again. Congrats to both of the guys!

Robles deserves credit where it's due. In neutral Mcd always works to the 2 on 1 tie with wrist control to set up a lot of shots. There is no way a 125 pounder can get wrist control on Robles as strong as he is. That's wrestling, just a bad match up. Mcd had some advantages last night as well, used to the environment, less media distraction, TWO LEGS.

The only thing I don't like is that when we look back on his career it is very possible that he is a 3x champ and his only championship blemish was against a niche wrestler.

Exactly! Robles deserves credit for overcoming obstacles that most people could never fathom, but I do not think he is the best wrestler....he has found his niche and it works for him.

It's a huge advantage for Robles. He has taken what most people would consider a disadvantage in life, and turned it into an advantage in sport. Impossible to prepare for unless you wrestle him multiple times.

Latest posts