Rob: an idea for a column

WestHawk

You said it was slow so here you go: I enjoyed your 2/7 piece "Scouting Reports, Hawkeye Comps for '18 Iowa Recruiting Class" and found myself wondering what you and possibly your colleagues had written about recruits who have recently left the program. I'm referring to recent Hawkeye departures like Josey Jewell, Josh Jackson, James Daniels and others. How were they described before they stepped on campus? It might be a little tough but it would also be illuminating to read about the highly reviewed under-achievers. I think it would be interesting to test our collective ability to predict future performance as we look forward to seeing (or not) members of the incoming class of 2018.

Basically you want to know the secret. What to look for.
I doubt anyone with any ability to do that is going to tell you how. Because it's magic. It's that gut feeling.
It's a whole lot of studying, sure, but in the end of the day it's just like love. You can't explain it.
To try to, much less in an article for everyone to read is not only futile it's borderline irresponsible.

Basically you want to know the secret. What to look for.
I doubt anyone with any ability to do that is going to tell you how. Because it's magic. It's that gut feeling.
It's a whole lot of studying, sure, but in the end of the day it's just like love. You can't explain it.
To try to, much less in an article for everyone to read is not only futile it's borderline irresponsible.

It appears that my request wasn't clear. All I was looking for was a compilation of the write ups on our recently departed stars during their recruitment and after commitment but before they took a snap. The number of "stars" is easily located but what about the projections and aspirations - text and commentary that might be interesting in hindsight.

Unfortunately, a lot of those evaluations are behind pay walls of Rivals and 247.

In general, I would say that most of the scouting reports are going to line up with the star ranking. The guys that write the evaluations are the guys that rate the guys.

Latest posts