Rittenberg on Big 10 Divisions

Alverez is really acting like he's ultra involved in this division process. Giving interviews to that effect.

. . . and that deafening silence that you hear. . . Gary Barta playing golf.

Somehow I feel we are going east.

I just want to know why would they put us in the east when we're further west. Damn you big ten *******.

If we go to the east and lose the Minny game and rarely get the chance to play Nebraska I'll be upset. Floyd is a long standing tradition and to lose that would be a shame even if they haven't made for much competition lately. And to kill what could be a great rivalry before it even starts would be a shame as well, Nebraska v. Wisky or Michigan just doesn't make sense to me as a great rivalry IMO.

If we go to the east and lose the Minny game and rarely get the chance to play Nebraska I'll be upset. Floyd is a long standing tradition and to lose that would be a shame even if they haven't made for much competition lately. And to kill what could be a great rivalry before it even starts would be a shame as well, Nebraska v. Wisky or Michigan just doesn't make sense to me as a great rivalry IMO.

Nebraska vs Wisconson the Big Red Rivalry.

trapperjon;201803[B said:
]Alverez is really acting like he's ultra involved in this division process.[/B] Giving interviews to that effect.

For whatever reason he's been the unofficial spokesman since the conference announced it would be looking into expansion. It looking more and more like Iowa is going to the east. Hopefully Rutgers and Maryland get added to the conference and then Iowa goes back to the west where we belong.

Alverez is really acting like he's ultra involved in this division process. Giving interviews to that effect.

Somehow I feel, iowa is going to get screwed big time. Sounds like Mr. alverez has too much clot. He is ready to throw his old school under the bus. If we are not in the same div as Neb, and are thrown in with OSU and PSU, I promise to lead a charge that the Big Ten will never seen the likes of. It would be a total slap in Iowa's face for them to go to the EAST.

All I can say is Barta better be fighting for Iowa very loudly. If this happens the way rumors say, then BArta needs to be FIRED!!!

Why P... and moan about where Iowa is assigned at this point when we do not know. This week Delany said the conference was down to a dozen scenarios. Here is what we have been told semi-officially:

1. It is probable that Ohio State and Michigan will be in different divisions.
  2. It is probable that Iowa and Wisconsin will be in different divisions.
  3. It can easily be deduced that PSU and UNL will be in different divisions.
The two most likely west combinations are:

1. Nebraska, Michigan, Iowa
  2. Nebraska, Michigan, Wisconsin
From this point you have to look at protected rivalries and to some degree geography. Two institutions come immediately to mind; MSU and Minnesota. Michigan and MSU will be a pair. Second Minnesota will be assigned to either Iowa or Wisconsin.

Now the combinations begin to look more like the following:

1. Nebraska, Michigan, Iowa, MSU, Minnesota
  2. Nebraska, Michigan, Wisconsin, MSU, Minnesota
We can eliminate PSU and tOSU from the remainder leaving four institutions: Illinois, Purdue, Indiana, and Northwestern. What can be done to make the divisions most palatable for either Iowa or Wisconsin? You could move Indiana to the west and provide Wisconsin or Iowa with these foes in the east, Purdue, Illinois, and Northwestern. All are reasonable distance from IC or Madison. So where would the objection come from? Indiana could have a complaint, but if they get a protected game against Purdue it would take the sting out of being in the West and they still play the two Michigans.

So what does that look like in terms of divisions:

1. Nebraska, Michigan, Iowa, MSU, Minnesota, Indiana
  2. Nebraska, Michigan, Wisconsin, MSU, Minnesota, Indiana
  3. PSU, tOSU, Iowa, Illinois, Purdue, Northwestern
  4. PSU, tOSU, Wisconsin, Illinois, Purdue, Northwestern
So that leaves the protected rivals games:

1. Ohio State vs Michigan (The Game) - cross division
  2. Ohio State vs Penn State - within division
  3. Wisconsin vs Minnesota (Axe) - ?
  4. Indiana vs Purdue (Bucket) - cross division
  5. Iowa vs Minnesota (Floyd) - ?
  6. Illinois vs Northwestern (Land of Lincoln) - within division
  7. Iowa vs Wisconsin (Heartland) - ?
  8. Ohio State vs Illinois (ILLIBUCK) - within division
  9. Michigan vs MSU (Axe) - within division
  10. Michigan vs Minnesota (Jug) - within division
  11. Michigan St vs Indiana (Spittoon) - within division
  12. Illinois vs Purdue (Cannon) - within division
  13. MSU vs PSU (Land Grant) - ?
  14. Minnesota vs PSU (Bell) - ?
The games with question marks are those that are most difficult to figure out. Personally Wisconsin in the East with a protect rival game with Minnesota makes the most sense and Iowa and Wisconsin have to give up there annual trophy game. Iowa get to keep Minnesota but gets Nebraska as a rival.

Regardless of your emotional involvement you have to try and make the best out of an awkward process.

Somehow I feel, iowa is going to get screwed big time. Sounds like Mr. alverez has too much clot. He is ready to throw his old school under the bus. If we are not in the same div as Neb, and are thrown in with OSU and PSU, I promise to lead a charge that the Big Ten will never seen the likes of. It would be a total slap in Iowa's face for them to go to the EAST.

All I can say is Barta better be fighting for Iowa very loudly. If this happens the way rumors say, then BArta needs to be FIRED!!!

What is Barta going to do? He has as much influence in this as the AD's of every other school besides UM and OSU. which is not much. Everyone else is just along for the ride...you can lead a charge all you want but until the next round of expansion there is a good chance Iowa will not be seeing the B10 championship game.

The way I figure it, you have to beat the best to win the championship anyway. So I don't really care what the divisions look like.

well said, Burky. some of you need to suck it up. we have a huge showdown with OSU this fall - one that many people think we will win - why can't we do it in future years, too?

btw, I hadn't heard that Alvarez has blood clots.

The way I figure it, you have to beat the best to win the championship anyway. So I don't really care what the divisions look like.

Exactly and an Iowa team the historically rarely beats OSU could be to our advantage to have in the same division as the road to a BCS bowl is sometimes derailed by a conference championship game loss. Missouri losing to OK in 2007 and Kansas then getting the Orange Bowl bid being my example.

Barta and Tom Osborne really need to start making noise on this. I believe Tom Osborne coming out in favor of being in the same division with Iowa would carry some weight.

Wisconsin is the easternmost school between the two of us...move THEM.

I don't think Barry has more clout than other ADs.

In this process, Delaney is using Alvarez like Texas used Chip Brown. He's "leaking" information they want out there, but not in an official fashion, so they aren't held accountable for it.

I think this discussion would be taken better if people would quit heaping on Barta prematurely. What makes any of you think he is not involved and standing up for Iowa's best interests? Delaney absolutely hates public discussion of any of this, Gary is smart to keep his mouth shut. If Alvarez is being a mouthpiece for the Big10, then I guarantee you it is with Delany's blessing....ask Missouri about talking out of school! In my opinion, Michigan and Ohio St. have the biggest guns in the room, they are probably listened to with a bit more attention than the rest, but I sense over the years the Big Ten has been pretty fair, and works to the betterment of the league as a whole. I think these are tough decisions , someone is not going to be happy with the outcomes of the divisions. It will probably all change again in a year or two when even more teams are added, these divisions may on be temporary if 2 east coast schools come in.
I know Gary, and am confident in his ability to appropriately advocate for the Hawks.

ToothGuy

I think this discussion would be taken better if people would quit heaping on Barta prematurely. What makes any of you think he is not involved and standing up for Iowa's best interests? Delaney absolutely hates public discussion of any of this, Gary is smart to keep his mouth shut. If Alvarez is being a mouthpiece for the Big10, then I guarantee you it is with Delany's blessing....ask Missouri about talking out of school! In my opinion, Michigan and Ohio St. have the biggest guns in the room, they are probably listened to with a bit more attention than the rest, but I sense over the years the Big Ten has been pretty fair, and works to the betterment of the league as a whole. I think these are tough decisions , someone is not going to be happy with the outcomes of the divisions. It will probably all change again in a year or two when even more teams are added, these divisions may on be temporary if 2 east coast schools come in.
I know Gary, and am confident in his ability to appropriately advocate for the Hawks.

ToothGuy

This is one of the smartest posts I've read today in regards to Barta, Alvarez, and the East/West split. I think I'll step away from the ledge now ;)

Latest posts