Ripping on Hawk players

westview

I know people on message boards have a right to their opinion, and that I do not have to read these messages. But don't people get tired of all the dissing of the players. These kids chose to be Hawks and deserve our support. I get it, the team is not very good, we all know it. The personal attacks on players do not help the situation. Face the facts. Lick will not be fired after this year, and if he is fired after next year we will not get the big name coach we would like. All the big name coaches are not lined up waiting for the Iowa job. More than likely it would be a coach from a mid-major. Wait isn't that what happened the last two times. I hope LIck succeeds, because if he does not it will take the new coach time to turn the program around. All the negative remarks are not going to help the program. Lets just root for the kids and support the team. OK I am done, now you can start ripping on me.

I know people on message boards have a right to their opinion, and that I do not have to read these messages. But don't people get tired of all the dissing of the players. These kids chose to be Hawks and deserve our support. I get it, the team is not very good, we all know it. The personal attacks on players do not help the situation. Face the facts. Lick will not be fired after this year, and if he is fired after next year we will not get the big name coach we would like. All the big name coaches are not lined up waiting for the Iowa job. More than likely it would be a coach from a mid-major. Wait isn't that what happened the last two times. I hope LIck succeeds, because if he does not it will take the new coach time to turn the program around. All the negative remarks are not going to help the program. Lets just root for the kids and support the team. OK I am done, now you can start ripping on me.

If you would forward that kind of stuff to Jon, he will handle

I agree we shouldn't rip on individual players.

The coach is a different matter because he makes more than a million a year and the team is a reflection of his coaching efforts.

"I hope LIck succeeds, because if he does not it will take the new coach time to turn the program around."

It is speculation about how long it will take to turn a program around. You have no idea that it will take a new coach a long time? Iowa has some good role players. A new coach with good recruiting skills and experienced assistant coaches with ties in recruiting could very well recruit the one or two or three players needed to really get this team going. The exact players that the current staff is UNABLE to recruit. You also have no idea what kind of coach of Iowa can hire if the money is right or the situation is right? Look at Tubby Smith and Minnesota.

Maybe it is case that Barta is not the right man for the job of selecting the coach? After all, Barta came from Woming and never had to select at the Big 10 level? Maybe that is an additional problem for Iowa? He may be a good money raiser but maybe he isn't very good at selecting coaches at the Big 10 level? Maybe he should put his ego away (if that is a problem) and get a LOT of help with the next selection...a lot more help than with this one. It appears he or the committee did not ask enough questions or did not know the questions to ask.

Let me ask this: If you were on the committee and the coach said he was going to bring three assistants who had never recruited at the Big 10 level before, would that not have raised a HUGE red flag. And if they didn't ask that type of question, why not, considering how important recruiting is in the Big 10?

I think it is fair to criticize the players on their play. It is unfair to criticize them personally.

It is just silly to say that you shouldn't rip on the players. If they do something wrong, they certainly can be called out for it.

Agreed, the post about Brommer is nothing short of disgusting.

I disagree. 99% of those post in that thread said Brommer is a good kid. His basketball skills are of questionable Division 1 caliber.

Given the lack of playing time Brommer has seen this year, it is reasonable to assume Lickliter is of the same opinion.

I think it is fair to criticize the players on their play. It is unfair to criticize them personally.

It is just silly to say that you shouldn't rip on the players. If they do something wrong, they certainly can be called out for it.

Agreed, if you're a player, you know what the fans are like. People have said some of the worst things to Allen Iverson and other short players because of their height, and other players for just not performing well and that comes with the territory, but when it gets personal is when it is too far.

I don't feel comfortable in ripping players either. They chose to come to Iowa and are giving their all. I don't have any trouble ripping on Lick. He's paid to recruit and win. Now, with that said, to say we need to recruit more talent is fair. That's not personal although it implies some of our players aren't the most talented.

Criticism is always allowed. It's how you go about it.

ACCEPTABLE:
- Andrew Brommer needs to move his feet more on defense, he seems slow laterally and that's why he picks up so many fouls.

NOT ACCEPTABLE:
- Andrew Brommer is a waste of a scholarship. He'd be lucky to play for a D3 team. GET RID OF HIM COACH, HE SUCKS!

Pretty easy to understand what is allowed and what is not.

Latest posts