Riley Moss Returning in '22

Those athletes have the advantage of incredibly strong leg muscles adding stability to their knee joints. That's how Spencer Lee won a national championship with two completely torn ACLs. His athleticism and freakishly strong lower body strength made up for the instability.
Not to mention pain tolerance...

Jacobs to me seemed to have a disappointing year. He didn't seem the same after David Bell burned him a couple times in coverage. I'd almost like to see him bulk up fifteen pounds and be a DE.

First off, Jacobs should never be covering a wide out like David Bell in man to man. We saw that years ago when OSU torched the hawks linebackers like crazy and a few other teams did also.

It does make you wonder what is motivating Moss to come back. I am guessing he talked with the NFL draft folks and they told him he would not be drafted? [...] Its cool whatever the reason, I am just curious, thats all.
I Jason Sehorn is still the last white starting cornerback in the NFL. He is 50 now.

For those thinking Moss might play cash next yr I'd highly bet against that. He isn't coming back to try a different position. He wants to enhance his stock to hopefully play in the pros and being an outside corner is where he's always been is the most comfortable with and probably thinks is his best shot for that. It'd be easier to put X there or someone else that's already been practicing it.

Myself I'd like a guy physically more like X there. I want a hybrid size wise that can cover the short flat and still come up and blitz/stop the run. Belton was pretty ideal for it hence his success at it. Putting a guy a little smaller there would lend itself to being more of a nickel/cover the slot receiver kind of guy which is great and needed too. But just limits some of the other stuff you can do with him

For those thinking Moss might play cash next yr I'd highly bet against that. He isn't coming back to try a different position. He wants to enhance his stock to hopefully play in the pros and being an outside corner is where he's always been is the most comfortable with and probably thinks is his best shot for that. It'd be easier to put X there or someone else that's already been practicing it.

Myself I'd like a guy physically more like X there. I want a hybrid size wise that can cover the short flat and still come up and blitz/stop the run. Belton was pretty ideal for it hence his success at it. Putting a guy a little smaller there would lend itself to being more of a nickel/cover the slot receiver kind of guy which is great and needed too. But just limits some of the other stuff you can do with him
I'm actually disagreeing just a little bit.

I'll get absolutely torched for saying this, but it's fact...

There's no such thing as a white cornerback in the NFL and Riley knows it. Hasn't been a regular starter since Sehorn 20 years ago. His best option would be to add about 10 lbs and take on a Harrison Smith type role playing safety. I'd bet dollars for donuts that he knows his only viable shot is to put a little size on and try to latch on somewhere as a safety, otherwise he's going to be a career special teamer, and maybe he's ok with that.

The other scenario might be that he knows it's more likely to win the lottery than play CB in the NFL, and so he wants another ride with his teammates.

There's no such thing as a white cornerback in the NFL and Riley knows it. Hasn't been a regular starter since Sehorn 20 years ago. His best option would be to add about 10 lbs and take on a Harrison Smith type role playing safety. I'd bet dollars for donuts that he knows his only viable shot is to put a little size on and try to latch on somewhere as a safety, otherwise he's going to be a career special teamer, and maybe he's ok with that.

The other scenario might be that he knows it's more likely to win the lottery than play CB in the NFL, and so he wants another ride with his teammates.
I don't disagree with ya that his odds of being a fulltime corner in the NFL is lower than Petras's odds are of winning the Heisman next yr. Not knowing his mindset at all I would just think that after 4 yrs of doing what he's done he's probably not going to want to take that gamble and change up his role with Iowa next yr.

He'll have to play like what Desmond King kinda does or Amani Hooker in the NFL I could see them even moving him to safety all together but he could use 10 more lbs like you said to do that. I just think that he'll cross that bridge when he gets to it. In mean time he wants to show off how fast he is and his coverage/ball skills more and covering stud receivers on the outside is how he'll do that.

Kevin Karshivian(former Iowa Barnstormer) had a minute with the Bengals right after Sehorn, but your point is well taken. You shouldn't be torched because it is the elephant in the room. However, most NFL defenses have 5 or 6 DB(s) on the field at least 50% of time. "Slot corner" is practically a position now. I think Moss could succeed there. Press coverage on the outside, anything on the outside, he gets destroyed see Josh Jackson.

Play Moss on the inside on certain defensive packages and combine it with special team duties, a team will max out on a 5th, 6th or 7th round pick. One-third of the KC Chiefs roster is UFDA....NFL wants cheap labor. If Moss can run a decent 40 time and turn his hips in whatever drill, he will be fine.

Latest posts