rick is awesome

Here's my take on Stanzi, throw your picks when Iowa is 3 TDs or more ahead, and get the job done in the clutch when its game on, in tight games.

I will say that when he is on he is on and one of the best passing qbs playing college football right now.

When he makes a mistake his ability to shake it off and come back strong is nothing short of amazing.

Knock on wood no picks the last 2 games vs to very good denenses. Ricky is a very good qb and his celing is very high. Also remember his stats won't jump off the page at you partially because Iowa is a system offense. You may not like the term but it is what it is and his numbers (total yards) will most often reflect the need for higher numbers.

Ricky is average. Ricky does his role in the offense very well. His role is certainly more than that of a "game manager", but he's not going to ever be considered an elite college QB.

Here's how Ricky compares to what I consider to be the lower half of the top tier of college QBs (Meaning those who may contend for a Heisman nomination but have very little chance of winning.) Based on these stats, my opinion is Ricky doesn't even crack consideration of being placed in this group.

PASSING GP Effic Cmp-Att-Int Pct Yards TD Long Avg/G
Barkley, Matt 6 148.7 97-161-5 60.2 1540 7 60 256.7
Keenum, Case 7 153.7 241-344-4 70.1 2734 20 58 390.6
LeFEVOUR, Dan 8 153.93 156-223-4 70.0 1696 16 70 212.0
CLAUSEN, Jimmy 7 161.3 150-230-2 65.2 2050 16 88 292.9
Stanzi, Ricky 8 126.9 137-240-8 57.1 1715 12 47 214.4

This isn't a knock on Ricky. As I said early, he is doing what is expected of him within this offense. But I think it is very "homer-ish" to consider Ricky one of the best in college football at this point.

Although not even close to the most gifted QB, the kid is just a winner. As others have said earlier, he has the ability to shake off mistakes, pressure and even his critics and get the job done. He's going to be a huge success no matter what he ends up doing.

Amazing how people look at things. If you compare Stanzi's year this year to Christensen's year in 2007 there is only one striking difference...sacks. Christensen even had fewer interceptions. The only difference between the two is that Rick is CLUTCH/A WINNER

Now we're starting to argue semantics.

If we're going to say no stat is truley individual, then there should be no Heisman, O'Brien, Doak Walker...etc.

QB's are evaluated primarily on completion percentagies, yrds passed, efficiency, and INT.

If Win/Losses start to determine whether or not a QB is good or bad, then in 1999 Peyton Manning and Dan Marino were two of the worst QBs in the NFL.

Amazing how people look at things. If you compare Stanzi's year this year to Christensen's year in 2007 there is only one striking difference...sacks. Christensen even had fewer interceptions. The only difference between the two is that Rick is CLUTCH/A WINNER

That, and 2007's defense wasn't nearly as good as this year's.

I dislike looking at W/L records for QB's because there is just so much more involved. Look at the 2007 Michigan State game at Kinnick...I think Jake completed 5 balls the entire day (and that game went into OT). But the defense performed admirably and AY took over in the 2nd half. Jake gets a 1-0 in that game...I think I probably could have been behind center handing the ball off to AY in that game and we win (ok, maybe a stretch there, but hopefully my point is made).

I like how he morphed into Tom Brady at the end of the game Saturday night. Harry Potter must have been on the sideline with his magic wand.

I don't think you can compare QB stats within different systems. Compare Iowa QB to Texas Tech QB and almost every year Texas Tech QB system will win for stats. Our system is to run the ball with the exception of 2004. I believe that it comes down to the wins/losses for a quarterback. Earlier you might be able to argue that Stanzi was only winning because of the defense, but I think he proved himself with last Saturday's drive. Stanzi is one of the better QB's in the nation.

I don't think you can compare QB stats within different systems. Compare Iowa QB to Texas Tech QB and almost every year Texas Tech QB system will win for stats. Our system is to run the ball with the exception of 2004. I believe that it comes down to the wins/losses for a quarterback. Earlier you might be able to argue that Stanzi was only winning because of the defense, but I think he proved himself with last Saturday's drive. Stanzi is one of the better QB's in the nation.

The devil's advocate is going to ask you where he was for the first 58:23 of the game though...just sayin'.

Latest posts