Returning Starters in Big Ten

MisterWinky

We know Iowa loses several key starters on offense; how about some key competitors like Nebby, OSU and MSU? I believe Wisky loses quite a few as well if Im not mistaken...

As far as Qb's go Chappell at Indiana, Tolziene at Wisky, Stanzi of course, and Weber at Minnesota are the only ones gone. Cousins, Persa, Pryor, Robinson, etc are all back.

Most of the runningbacks return. Some key defenders are leaving and if I recall right most of Wisky's offensive line were seniors.

We're losing more then most this season.

Per other sites depth charts (which are probably impacted due to injury etc) here's a quick numbers breakdown. Special teams weren't looked at. Jon will address more accurate detailed and accurate information I'm sure and of course this doesn't even begin to look at quality of losses.

Team Offensive Starters Defensive Starters

IA 7-6
OSU 7-4
MSU 5-6
WI 4-7
MI 2-2
PSU 9-8
IN 4-5
NW 2-4
PUR 4-3
IL 2-4
MN 5-2
NE 6-4

I heard OSU will have atleast 5 starters returning...that is a joke. No way do all 5 of them come back...maybe 2-3 if they are lucky. Pryor needs to, but missing 5 games hurts his Heisman stock...

These things are tough to pin down precisely until after the early NFL entry deadline, and even then not 100%...example, Borland missed most of the year for Wisky at LB, and hasn't played since the ASU game in September, but will be a starter...I know some of these things, but not all of them...

I have emailed a stat friend at the BTN to help me out with this in a few weeks

Team Offensive Starters Defensive Starters

IA 7-6
OSU 7-4
MSU 5-6
WI 4-7
MI 2-2
PSU 9-8
IN 4-5
NW 2-4
PUR 4-3
IL 2-4
MN 5-2
NE 6-4

Just looking at this as being 'close to accurate', the B10 is losing a lot. Iowa's game at PSU will be tough. Outside of the Nits, you are looking at a lot of rebuilding work. Are you sure about Michigan? I thought they returned far more starters than just two per side

yah, and I dont think Illinois or NW only returns 2 on O. He probably forgot to list returning starters and instead listed graduating seniors for some of these. Looking forward to that series Jon, and on info on Nebby, too.

Regarding Nebraska - listened to college sports talk show on Sirius Radio this am - can't remember the channel - but Eddie George & Eric Crouch were 2 of the guys doing the talking - can't remember the host's name either. In any event, a man called in & identified himself as father of one of the current Nebby fb players & went on to detail why in his opinion Martinez would be leaving Nebby right away & would not be back for 2011 season. The caller contended that Martinez is not liked by his team-mates & further that many of the Nebby players think Martinez is not physically tough. I was very surprised at the comments - it was pretty clear that the show's hosts were also a bit startled at the comments made by the caller. This may be an interesting topic to follow over the next few weeks.