Return game for next year

nickhawk

What I hope the return game looks like next year:

Kickoff Returns:

DJK - proved he is a capable kickoff return man - he may be seen as too valuable of a receiver to put back on returns, but I like the home run element that he provides so I hope he is returning kicks

Wegher - Has the burst to be an excellent return guy. With the logjam at running back, I see no reason why Wegher can't be used as a primary return guy to try to utilize him as much as possible

Keenan Davis - I think Keenan will be an absolute stud by the time he graduates, and if DJK is not a featured return man, I hope Kirk uses Keenan in his place.

Punts:

Sandeman - I think he is the best option. I know he might fair catch too early on some returns but I think he has shown a better ability to make at least one guy miss and I think he can have a big senior year.

Chaney - He has the speed but he hasn't shown the ability to break tackles or make a guy miss - If he ever gets it open space he can fly - he just needs to be able to bust through some open field tackles.

What I hope the return game looks like next year:

Kickoff Returns:

DJK - proved he is a capable kickoff return man - he may be seen as too valuable of a receiver to put back on returns, but I like the home run element that he provides so I hope he is returning kicks

Wegher - Has the burst to be an excellent return guy. With the logjam at running back, I see no reason why Wegher can't be used as a primary return guy to try to utilize him as much as possible

Keenan Davis - I think Keenan will be an absolute stud by the time he graduates, and if DJK is not a featured return man, I hope Kirk uses Keenan in his place.

Punts:

Sandeman - I think he is the best option. I know he might fair catch too early on some returns but I think he has shown a better ability to make at least one guy miss and I think he can have a big senior year.

Chaney - He has the speed but he hasn't shown the ability to break tackles or make a guy miss - If he ever gets it open space he can fly - he just needs to be able to bust through some open field tackles.

I wish we would put DJK on punt returns. I wouldn't be surprised to see Wegher there either, especially if he doesn't get as much PT at RB.

Sandeman gave up a lot of yardage this year By not catching punts and letting them roll.

Agee 100%. In the Orange Bowl alone he was too far back and could not get up to catch the ball resulting in it rolling 20+ yards a couple of times. Now it is not all on Sandeman.....he is essentially told what yardline to be on.

I do prefer Chaney, I think he will have a very good senior campaign.

DJK has to be used. I don't think teams can worry about getting people hurt, just have to play. This year he proved that he could consistently give Iowa good field position with his returns. He came very close to breaking one in the Orange Bowl. He just seems to have that special ability to make big plays.

DJK has to be used. I don't think teams can worry about getting people hurt, just have to play. This year he proved that he could consistently give Iowa good field position with his returns. He came very close to breaking one in the Orange Bowl. He just seems to have that special ability to make big plays.

I totally agree. I think DJK could be a special player this year; an impact player.

DJK and Wegher on KOR's...DJK has to be used there, and getting the ball into Wegher's hands is important, too. DJK has a chance to be Iowa's best KOR man since Tim Dwight, IMO. I just think that kid is a nationally respected playmaker, skill wise, the best Iowa has had since Tavian Banks and Tim Dwight, with the ball in his hands.

Sandeman did a very solid job on PR...catch the ball, get up the field 6 to 10 yards...Sandeman was 36th in the nation at 9 yards per return...25th was just a yard and a half more per return. Looking at the Ferentz era, guys like Sandeman, dependable guys, have been his preference, IMO. But I dont think Iowa has had this many candidates on one team. BTW Chaney averaged 5.1 yards per return before getting hurt

Is there any chance that Wegher will redshirt Jon? With the overloaded talent at running back the only time he would see the field is on kick returns. Assuming that Arob and Hampton are above him on the depth chart I don't think he'd see much playing time.

If he redshirts that would give him his (RS)senior season in the backfield with Rodgers and a RSjunior cocker, 2 players that he would probably beat on the depth chart and get the majority of the carries.

If he doesn't redshirt and never jumps Arob or Hampton on the depth chart then he'll be the number 3 RB the rest of his career, assuming that no one leaves early for the pros.

I think it would be in his best interest and the teams best interest for him to redshirt.

DJK has a great ability to see the field and make open field moves. If he were a little faster, hed be a first round pick.

There is talk about him going to a camp or training facility of some type in Arizona this summer in an effort in improving his speed.

DJK and Wegher on KOR's...DJK has to be used there, and getting the ball into Wegher's hands is important, too. DJK has a chance to be Iowa's best KOR man since Tim Dwight, IMO. I just think that kid is a nationally respected playmaker, skill wise, the best Iowa has had since Tavian Banks and Tim Dwight, with the ball in his hands.

Sandeman did a very solid job on PR...catch the ball, get up the field 6 to 10 yards...Sandeman was 36th in the nation at 9 yards per return...25th was just a yard and a half more per return. Looking at the Ferentz era, guys like Sandeman, dependable guys, have been his preference, IMO. But I dont think Iowa has had this many candidates on one team. BTW Chaney averaged 5.1 yards per return before getting hurt

Id like to see Iowas net return yardage on all punts.

Is there any chance that Wegher will redshirt Jon? With the overloaded talent at running back the only time he would see the field is on kick returns. Assuming that Arob and Hampton are above him on the depth chart I don't think he'd see much playing time.

If he redshirts that would give him his (RS)senior season in the backfield with Rodgers and a RSjunior cocker, 2 players that he would probably beat on the depth chart and get the majority of the carries.

If he doesn't redshirt and never jumps Arob or Hampton on the depth chart then he'll be the number 3 RB the rest of his career, assuming that no one leaves early for the pros.

I think it would be in his best interest and the teams best interest for him to redshirt.

My name isn't Jon but if I rush for almost 700 yards and 8 td's and you try to redshirt me I'd be using that redshirt season to find a team that is going to put me on the field.

I don't see a redshirt. And djk does see field well but he also sees it at a higher rate of speed which helps once he makes his decision to cut

My name isn't Jon but if I rush for almost 700 yards and 8 td's and you try to redshirt me I'd be using that redshirt season to find a team that is going to put me on the field.

He was going to take one this year and the coaches didn't want to take it off him but were forced to, obviously. I think it would be a great chance for him to bulk up and develop.

Latest posts