Responses to 5/10 Big Ten Expansion Talk

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
Rutgers: “We are a proud member of the Big East Conference,â€￾ Pernetti said in a statement issued by the school. “It is not our place to speculate on any reports on the expansion plans of any other conference. We’re not going to comment on ongoing speculationâ€￾

Mizzou: "The University of Missouri is receiving numerous inquiries related to public speculation about conference membership," the school said according to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. "MU is a member of the Big 12 Conference and will not respond to speculation about conference realignment. Mizzou continues to be grateful for all the interest shown in and support for the university.â€￾
-Here is a KC Star item that says Mizzou is in some planning stage for Big Ten invite.

Nebraska: "We recognize the intense speculation about conference realignment and the possible impact it may have on Nebraska. Both Chancellor Harvey Perlman and Athletic Director Tom Osborne have indicated that the university would consider any opportunity that would advance the interests of the university.

"The University of Nebraska has not been offered any opportunity to move from the Big 12. We remain committed to the success of the Big 12 Conference. Until the Big Ten Conference makes and announces its decision on expansion, the University of Nebraska will have no further comment and we do not intend to continue to respond further to questions or speculations on this subject."

Notre Dame: Chicago Tribune says that Notre Dame will have to accept an invitation before one is offered, as the league has put in ‘protections’ against another public rejection from the Irish

Big Ten denies anything has changed; chancellors and presidents meet in Chicago in early June, football and basketball coaches meet in Chicago next week.

Big 12 commish Dan Beebee has said the Big Ten has not contacted him.

Rutgers and Mizzou responses are basically politics 101. Nebby's is more interesting. That is way more posturing than I would expect. But hey, remember Osborn is a politician.

Rutgers: Please, please take us now.

Mizzou: Mizzou continues to be grateful for all the interest shown in and support for the university = we'll sign papers tomorrow

Nebraska: the university would consider any opportunity that would advance the interests of the university = where can we sign?

Notre Dame: we're too stupid and/or arrogant to send a delegation to each of the Big Ten presidents begging and pleading to let us in.

"Big Ten denies anything has changed." Because nothing has, yet.

It is very interesting reading the Notre Dumm board. Almost all of the people that post do not want to join a conference even if the Big East implodes. They figure there will be enough other teams around to form a conference for the other sports. I think mostly though they fear becoming just another "cog" in the machine as one poster put it. I really don't think they are going to join...oh well. I also think the Big 10 is going to go ahead with plans with or without them.

If Big 10 teams quit scheduling ND, their presence in the midwest would suffer greatly. ND says they don't need the Big 10 but they are wrong, without the Big 10 on their schedule they lose a fourth of their schedule. If the Big 10 just said, we have our own conference now and it is tough enough and they quit scheduling ND, who in the midwest would ND schedule? Mich/Mich St probably will never do that, but it would be great wouldn't it. ND would have no presence in the midwest.

That has been the problem all along is that to many B10 schools play Notre Dame year in and year out so why should they join? You take away those B10 games and they have to replace them with cream puffs which makes them less marketible.

ND would probably survive just fine in...

That has been the problem all along is that to many B10 schools play Notre Dame year in and year out so why should they join? You take away those B10 games and they have to replace them with cream puffs which makes them less marketible.

football. Yes, not playing Purdue, MSU, Michigan, or the other Big 10 teams they have played throughout the years would hurt, but they would be able to pick up games with other schools without too much difficulty.
The other sports are a possible problem. Does ND want to put its basketball teams and other non-football teams into a mishmash conference?

If Big 10 teams quit scheduling ND, their presence in the midwest would suffer greatly. ND says they don't need the Big 10 but they are wrong, without the Big 10 on their schedule they lose a fourth of their schedule. If the Big 10 just said, we have our own conference now and it is tough enough and they quit scheduling ND, who in the midwest would ND schedule? Mich/Mich St probably will never do that, but it would be great wouldn't it. ND would have no presence in the midwest.

I completely agree that the Big Ten programs, if ND declines the invite, need to stop scheduling ND. If they don't need the Big Ten, then they don't need to play our teams.

The Big Ten conference needs to give them an ultimatum - join us or you will no longer be able to schedule games with our programs. It's that easy. I think if that happens, ND's hand is forced.

The biggest problem that ND has not being in a conference is scheduling. When all the other schools are playing their conference games, it is tough for them to find openings.

My evil brilliant thought of the day: a new conference of expansion rejects.

Notre Dame
Kansas
Kansas State
Iowa State
Oklahoma?
Oklahoma State?
Boise State?
TCU?
BYU?

That doesn't look too bad. It won't happen, but it's interesting to think about it.

I don't think Oklahoma, TCU, BYU, or Boise State will be "expansion rejects" though. All of those will be picked up somewhere. I don't think the Big 12 will fold, so if Oklahoma doesn't go to the SEC or Pac 10, then they can stay right where they are. The Big 12 may well pick up the other three to help fill out their ranks after Neb, MO, and CO bolt for greener pastures. What will really hurt (in a manner of speaking) is if Texas goes elsewhere.

The one thing I liked from the story yesterday was that the "sources" indicated that the Big Ten wants this all worked out by mid-summer so they can make their announcement before kickoff of the 2010 season. All of this speculation can be settled relatively quickly.

I just get the sense that Nebraska to the Big Ten is practically a done deal. Serious interest on both sides (Osbourne has said so in the media and why wouldn't the Big Ten want a football program with 5 National titles? National fan base, etc...)

As for the others...who knows.

My evil brilliant thought of the day: a new conference of expansion rejects.

Notre Dame
Kansas
Kansas State
Iowa State
Oklahoma?
Oklahoma State?
Boise State?
TCU?
BYU?

That doesn't look too bad. It won't happen, but it's interesting to think about it.

I have always thought there should be a conference of religious schools and service academies

ND
BC
TCU
SMU
BYU
Army
Navy
Air Force

I'm telling ya', ISU is like the beggar in the rain staring in the window of a high-class restaurant watching all the other schools eat prime rib and ISU hasn't eaten for days.

It is very interesting reading the Notre Dumm board. Almost all of the people that post do not want to join a conference even if the Big East implodes. They figure there will be enough other teams around to form a conference for the other sports. I think mostly though they fear becoming just another "cog" in the machine as one poster put it. I really don't think they are going to join...oh well. I also think the Big 10 is going to go ahead with plans with or without them.

The Domer board is a hoot. There are people there who still think it is the 1970's and that Notre Dame football is still national-championship calibre. There is even one guy who thinks that ND can join the Big 10 at any time in the future if they want to....all they have to do is say "we want in" and the Big 10 will beg them to join.

There was a time when I thought that ND was the only logical fit for the Big 10. But after this past year with the rumors of Nebraska, and Mizzou being interested in membership, I see things in a whole different light. Personally I think Notre Dame as an institution is too arrogant (along with their fans) to consider membership in any conference. So be it. Let's forget the Irish and move on to teams like the aforementioned who want to be a part of the conference. All we would need is a solid east coast team thrown in (a rival for Penn State) and we have the makeup of a 14 team super conference. (16 is too big IMO.)

The Domer board is a hoot. There are people there who still think it is the 1970's and that Notre Dame football is still national-championship calibre. There is even one guy who thinks that ND can join the Big 10 at any time in the future if they want to....all they have to do is say "we want in" and the Big 10 will beg them to join.

Well since Domers are about 40 years behind the times, maybe by around 2030 they'll start to look back and realize: "Oh, they begged us alright. Why the F didn't we listen?"

I'm telling ya', ISU is like the beggar in the rain staring in the window of a high-class restaurant watching all the other schools eat prime rib and ISU hasn't eaten for days.

That's probably about right but I suppose it is also fair to say that the main reason our Hawks are inside eating prime rib is because we knew our good buddys Michigan and Ohio St since we were kids and have been coming here to eat with them since before this place started serving steak. :)

Latest posts