Research on Underdog Teams' Path to Success - Iowa Utilizes many

MisterWinky

Great post from Smart Football on keys to underdogs leveling the playing field with superior teams.

Explains why Iowa chose philosophy of bend but dont break defense, methodicl offense that shortens games, strong special teams and opting to receive the ball first (chance to get 1 more possesion than opponent over course of game).

I found this article really, really interesting and shows the football intelligence Ferentz has implemented to win at Iowa. My questions now are: should we continue this approach in full or alter it now that we are often the favorite in most games. Does this approach explain why we seem to play to the level of our competition?

I would say that the playing to our opponents comes from Ferentz's NFL time. In the NFL teams tend to play to win in the 4th Qtr. That is why there is 1 overtime game each week in the NFL (19 OT games this year). This doesn't need to be changed we just needed to execute it better this year. It is also part of the reason our players tend to make good pros.

Interesting thought, but I don't think I agree that teams in the NFL play to win in the 4th qt. I see as many blowouts as close games, playoffs included.

I do think Ferentz intends to keep it close with betterteams, but how you handle success can often be the next challenge to overcome once you know how to deal with adversity.

I do believe Ferentz takes the opening kick with the aim of getting a lead and getting the last possesion. Putting some good math to work on the gridiron...

I agree that this type of strategy is on Ferentz mind but there are times when it costs us because we play like an underdog as the superior team.

I do believe Ferentz takes the opening kick with the aim of getting a lead and getting the last possesion. Putting some good math to work on the gridiron...
That's fine if you use some time and score, but not so good if you go three and out....

I think it was a great philosphy when he first got to Iowa. We were not that talented. I would say we should tweak it a bit to be more aggressive due to the fact we have better athletes and a better team now. We were the underdog in everygame for the most part in his first two or three years. Now I feel like that way of doing things keeps lesser teams in games against us. But can't complain too much b/c that way has worked well for this staff.

I think it was a great philosphy when he first got to Iowa. We were not that talented. I would say we should tweak it a bit to be more aggressive due to the fact we have better athletes and a better team now. We were the underdog in everygame for the most part in his first two or three years. Now I feel like that way of doing things keeps lesser teams in games against us. But can't complain too much b/c that way has worked well for this staff.

My thoughts exactly. Now we need to learn how to play like Stanford did this year and step on the other teams' throats...

Latest posts