Research: Iowa WR Production During KF Era

Yeah I mentioned that I am impressed with how our wr room is turning around.
Jesus remember what they looked like a couple years ago? They have really grown.
I think Foster is doing a good job in the rb room as well. Some of it you can't coach, but they look different.
We absolutely have to get the right qb for next year.
I think we can make a huge improvement in offense next year and that is exactly why I hope everyone comes back. If we can stay as good as we are or improve on defense, it's almost impossible for anyone's draft stock to go down. Especially given the opportunity to beat the best in the conference.

The 1000+ yard Greg Davis dropoff makes me wonder if we have anyone actually looking out for the good of the program. The question is whether we will ever have another run like the final 3 years of O'Keefe's career before he got plucked away to coach WRs in the NFL.

The 1000+ yard Greg Davis dropoff makes me wonder if we have anyone actually looking out for the good of the program. The question is whether we will ever have another run like the final 3 years of O'Keefe's career before he got plucked away to coach WRs in the NFL.

And many wanted KOK fired at that point. Funny how that works and now they want BF fired also. Funny how that works.

I'd be curious to see WR production stacked up next to TE production. Big jump this year, but a big dive in TE production. Looks like from 2018 to 2019 WR's got 48 more catches and 756 more yards. From 2018 to 2019 TE's lost 65 catches and 969 yards.

I'd be curious to see WR production stacked up next to TE production. Big jump this year, but a big dive in TE production. Looks like from 2018 to 2019 WR's got 48 more catches and 756 more yards. From 2018 to 2019 TE's lost 65 catches and 969 yards.

I nominate you for that research. :)

Well, considering we return all 4 of those WRs, plus other young'ns developing, I don't think it's a stretch to say we can match it by 2021.
And many wanted KOK fired at that point. Funny how that works and now they want BF fired also. Funny how that works.
I think it speaks to how much of a misfire GD really was. His route tree was a complete and total mismatch for Iowa's offensive philosophy, and Kennedy was obviously not a great fit either. For all his faults, BF has the Iowa identity in his blood, so we've at least got that to work off of.

Yeah because we made history by having Two TE's taken in the first round of the daft!!! Yet by the end of the season, they were coming on strong again.
I mean Jesus, there are very very few schools that can lose two of any position group to the first round and not feel it and take a step back. To take such a small step back speaks volumes.

Yeah because we made history by having Two TE's taken in the first round of the daft!!! Yet by the end of the season, they were coming on strong again.
I mean Jesus, there are very very few schools that can lose two of any position group to the first round and not feel it and take a step back. To take such a small step back speaks volumes.

Well obviously. The point is, there are probably going to be a very similar number of passes thrown in a season. They have to go somewhere. Stanley has thrown 351, 396, and 372 times in his seasons. I'm guessing there are top receiving targets regardless of position between TE and WR. I just am curious what the number of receptions and yards actually tell us.

Well obviously. The point is, there are probably going to be a very similar number of passes thrown in a season. They have to go somewhere. Stanley has thrown 351, 396, and 372 times in his seasons. I'm guessing there are top receiving targets regardless of position between TE and WR. I just am curious what the number of receptions and yards actually tell us.

He also throws to rb's.
We are going to be stacked with weapons next year. Did you notice the TE production increase all year? They were getting better every single game.
No doubt everyone needs to improve and I hope every offensive linemen has that tweet posted everywhere when a former o linemen apologizes to the defensive lineman.

Well, considering we return all 4 of those WRs, plus other young'ns developing, I don't think it's a stretch to say we can match it by 2021.

I think it speaks to how much of a misfire GD really was. His route tree was a complete and total mismatch for Iowa's offensive philosophy, and Kennedy was obviously not a great fit either. For all his faults, BF has the Iowa identity in his blood, so we've at least got that to work off of.

too many WR reads. How they ever got on the same page with the QB.

I guess the deal would be, you go with your strengths in any given season.

I guess the deal would be, you go with your strengths in any given season.

That's kinda it isn't it, scratch where it itches.
As for Goodson, they wouldn't have recruited him if they didn't think he had talent.
He probably got more touches as a freshman rb than anyone has for a long time. But he was just out of high school and I think we all held our breaths in the Nebraska game when he got dinged.
Let him get a good solid year in the system and he will be ready to start. My hope is we have another or bring in another that can cut and get gone like he can.

Just think the numbers C J Beathard would have put up if he had actual weapons to throw to

It certainly didn't help CJ that in 2015 & 2016 Iowa was starting 5 guards on the OL. Great for run blocking but not so much on pass blocking.

Plus Smith in 2015 & Kittle in 2016 both missed time and played hurt. MVB missed nearly all of 2016.

I nominate you for that research. :)
Here you go. Feel free to use it however you want or not at all.

Some interesting notes...
  • In 2000 Robert Gallery was Iowa's #2 TE
  • Tony Moeaki accumulated over 100 yards in five different seasons
  • In 2011 five different TEs had catches
Capture.jpg

Here you go. Feel free to use it however you want or not at all.

Some interesting notes...
  • In 2000 Robert Gallery was Iowa's #2 TE
  • Tony Moeaki accumulated over 100 yards in five different seasons
  • In 2011 five different TEs had catches
Capture.jpg
Nice! Thanks!

Now we need a volunteer reseacher for RB receptions. :)

Latest posts