Report that mich/osu game moved to October

A couple of things:

#1. Mich and tOSU should be in the same division

#2. I think the "cross division rival" talk is idiotic, Play your division and rotate the other six, three each every two years just like the old Big 12 did.

Correct.
Do the East/West split,and rotate out of division. The only real rivalry worth a crap that would be messed with is Minny-Mich....big deal.

Ask Bama and Tennessee to switch from the 3rd saturday in October...and hear the howls. College football is about pagentry and tradition. It is not pro football,thank god. I think some younger fans seem to want college football to become the NFL...please no.
It is like killing the golden goose to mess with OSU-Mich. OSU -Mich is the most valuable property in college football...by the numbers.
OSU-Mich has made the Big Ten the most powerful conference in the land. It begat expansion with PSU and now Neb. It begat the BTN. Neb-OK had the mantle for awhile,but the Big 12 destroyed it. And the Big 12 receded,behind the Big Ten. OK-Texas has always been there,but not indentified with the Big 12...like OSU-Mich is with the Big ten.

If they want to kill the goose, mess with OSU and Mich. Don't do it Delaney.

Wow, you guys just don't get it. There is NO tradition to hurt here, because that tradition went out the window the minute Nebbie joined the conference.

What made the Ohio ST/Mich game special was that it frequently determined who would win the conference and go to the Rose bowl. Two powerhouse programs duking it out for B10 supremacy.

So here are your only 3 realistic options for the "new" tradition:

1. You keep them in the same division and play the game the last game of the season - Now you rob them of the chance to ever meet in the title game, but you keep the "tradition" intact. Pretty stupid to do this if you assume that someday soon Mich will return to traditional power status.

2. You could put them in opposite divisions but keep them as a protected rivalry and play the game on the last weekend of the season. This sorta keeps the tradition, but now you have a huge problem: assuming again that Mich returns to it's rightful place of power in the B10 you have a real risk of them playing back-to-back games. Ughhh! NOBODY would want to see that.

3. You put them in separate divisions and move the game earlier in the year. While you lose the "tradition", this is by far the most palatable solution. Now you can have the OSU/Mich title tilt at the end of the season only when they've earned it, which is the way it should be anyway. Plus it's now a lot easier to balance out the power in the divisions with OSU/PSU/Wisky on one side and Mich/Nebby/Iowa on the other.

Nah, we get it. ''The Game'' will still retain its rightful place as the single most valuable regular season property in college football as it is played on the last saturday of the season,usually with a title at stake....an Eastern Division Title.

Do OK-Texas play twice? Georgia-Fl? Bama-Auburn? UCLA-USC? Nah.

As a Michigan fan I hate this. Hate it. You have just taken the biggest rivalry in college sports and made it somewhat insignificant. I loved that for most of the past decade that game meant something for both teams. Now it doesn't bear the same meaning. Sure, a game is a game, but you have time to rebound now. Before, that was it.

A couple of things:

#1. Mich and tOSU should be in the same division

#2. I think the "cross division rival" talk is idiotic, Play your division and rotate the other six, three each every two years just like the old Big 12 did.

Bingo.

At first I thought it was a bad thing to split these two up and to move The Game, but after thinking about it for while, i think I am wrong.

This will only help Iowa grow as a program by taking the yearly focus off of OSU and MICH and treating the other teams in the league a little more fairly. In the long run, this might help Iowa's cache' with recruits and how national media views the rest of the league.

The part I dont get about the whole thing is why mess with geography based divisions when it would be basically dead even if they split them this way.

Texas A&M and Texas were both considering leaving the same conference. They didn't stay together so they could play each other, they stayed together because it was their best option.

fOSU v Mich means absolutely nothing to me personally. It means something to the fOSU fans and Michigan fans I'm sure but that doesn't mean it should be important to me.

Texas A&M and Texas were both considering leaving the same conference. They didn't stay together so they could play each other, they stayed together because it was their best option.

fOSU v Mich means absolutely nothing to me personally. It means something to the fOSU fans and Michigan fans I'm sure but that doesn't mean it should be important to me.

Are you sure that's really a comparable scenario? Texas A&M wanted to get away from Texas as much as the North schools, because they felt like they were getting hosed by how Texas strongarmed their way around the Big 12. While staying together was their best option, it wasn't what A&M wanted. Michigan and OSU, for all the heat in the actual rivalry, don't have that same kind of dysfunction because of how the Big 10 operates. They aren't looking to make every penny they can and keep what's theirs (like Texas does).

Latest posts