Report: Iowa Hiring Ladell Betts as RB Coach

I would imagine it was a hard sell to the wifey. Leave Florida for Iowa City. Boca Raton/Ft. Laurdale for Iowa City? It is marriage so sacrifices have to be made.
This ain't gonna be permanent, man. He's got head coaching experience at a major Florida HS (which is way more big league than a lot of D1/2, NAIA jobs), and these guys take assistant spots as a start to a career moving up to a coordinator/HC job. If his wife happens not to like Iowa she won't probably be here too long. And let's not forget, he's a millionaire NFL guy who owns a bunch of real estate. This isn't young struggling coach-with-a-family territory. She can easily grab the kids and hop on a jet to wherever she wants if it gets too cold.

He'll probably be here three or four years and move on to a coordinator spot at a smaller school and then try to get back in power 5 as a coordinator.

Which is just fine. Hayden Fry didn't want assistants on his staff who didn't have the desire to move up to head coach and I'm sure Kirk is the same way. The days of career assistants like Morgan are long gone.

I have no idea if Florida/Kansas City ties equals automatic awesomeness.

I would imagine it was a hard sell to the wifey. Leave Florida for Iowa City. Boca Raton/Ft. Laurdale for Iowa City? It is marriage so sacrifices have to be made.
His ex-wife, Diandra Lyle, is from Des Moines; they met at the University of Iowa. They have one daughter.

Loved his playing time at Iowa and looking forward to a successful coaching career in Iowa City.

Latest posts