Replacing Greenwood next season. Nicholas Law??

dmShortSaledude

This is the position that has most of my interest for next season. Why? Because I am not overly concerned about any other position. I believe we will be "good enough", the same or better (mostly better) at the positions we will be losing, with the exception of punter... That and I want another heavy hitter at safety! Heavy hitter, Greenwood is not. After watching Law's video from his junior season I was very impressed. Not only for his knack for the ball and blowing by everyone to take out the ball carrier, but for his hard hitting. Very Tyler M.F. Sashesque.

Law's video from last season shows that he knows where the ball is and that he can hit. Hard. From what I have seen of our current roster and a few videos I have watched, (although I have not seen all or enough) there isn't one player that sticks out to me, that is head and shoulders above the rest. Thus maybe Law is a possibility...

Any thoughts on Law or someone else to replace Greenwood??

Tanner Miller is someone to watch, and I think, like you said, that Law would be a better replacement for Sash. There is also Hitchens and like mentioned previously Bernstine.

the FS and SS position all depend on how you use them. but i don't ever remember iowa using the FS for "in the box" run support, so i see law as a FS. did bob sanders play SS at iowa, i was sure he did until i typed that statement. i know he played/plays FS at indy, but they use him like another SS.

Bernstine will get it if he can stay healthy. And this is really the only position you're concerned with? I would be willing to bet Stanzi's TD to interception ratio is not going to be duplicated next year. If we don't get production out of the QB, it will be a long year.

the FS and SS position all depend on how you use them. but i don't ever remember iowa using the FS for "in the box" run support, so i see law as a FS. did bob sanders play SS at iowa, i was sure he did until i typed that statement. i know he played/plays FS at indy, but they use him like another SS.

I think Bob was a SS, but really that does not matter. Remember Merrick? That guy could hit. I don't care the position. I just want them to do two things- play their assignment, and then seek and destroy...
That's what I want from my safeties. Both of them.

Bernstein will get the shot, I think. Problem isn't his skill, he just cannot stay healthy to play.

Last edited:
Bernstine will get it if he can stay healthy. And this is really the only position you're concerned with? I would be willing to bet Stanzi's TD to interception ratio is not going to be duplicated next year. If we don't get production out of the QB, it will be a long year.

Stanzi lead the nation in turnovers last season. You could argue his performance was better last season. He certainly seemed to play better down the stretch, when it mattered.

Regardless, there is one thing that Stanzi cannot do - find a secondary receiver under pressure. He has never been able to do that. Some of that is coaching, but most of it is simply your natural response and ability. JV proved last year that he could find the secondary receiver.
If you watched Martinez yesterday you will notice that he has the same problem as Stanzi, he cannot find a secondary receiver. Put pressure on him when you need it, and he will fold.

That being said, I hope we are in the Insight Bowl vs. Nebraska. They need a beating.

On Iowa!

Sanders played SS, while (in his junior and senior years, which are the first two I watched) Pagel and Considine played FS.

I think Bob was a SS, but really that does not matter. Remember Merrick? That guy could hit. I don't care the position. I just want them to do two things- play their assignment, and then seek and destroy...
That's what I want from my safeties. Both of them.

Bernstein will get the shot, I think. Problem isn't his skill, he just cannot stay healthy to play.

Paschal was also back there with him for at least 2 years. They both could hit.

Tanner Miller is someone to watch, and I think, like you said, that Law would be a better replacement for Sash. There is also Hitchens and like mentioned previously Bernstine.

I'm with you on this, he was in the two-deeps all year long. I really hope Dondi Kirby commits. He and Nick Law would be an awesome tandem.

Don't forget about Hitchens, he could be a player. I think Law will get redshirted if he isn't needed on ST. Between Law, Miller, and Hitchens I think we have some good ones. Not to mention Campbell at CB and Lowery will be a good one there. I like our future secondary, but would like Kirby to be in the fold as well, though I think he could transition into a WR pretty easily.

Latest posts