Remember 3 years ago?

BlackGold57

Please be careful not to get caught up in the tournament. Don't make it the basis for selecting your next coach. We just fired a coach that was national COY and in the sweet 16 with a mid major.

Bill Self is the same coach he was yesterday. Roy Williams is the same coach he was last year. Good teams lose in the tournament. Good coaches don't make the tournament. What better year to see that than now.

Iowa has to separate itself. Don't make the same mistake ISU did. Get a staff that can recruit and bring fans back the the program with some pride. As good as UNI played today, or KU played bad, or combination of both, Ben J may not be that guy.

This is the most intelligent post I've read on this board in awhile!!! Great job.

+1

There are a number of coaches that would be more than capable for us. Jacobson may or may not I just don't like the way people are fanatical about it and get mad that everyone doesn't agree with them

First off, I am not on the Jacobsen bandwagon. he is not my first choice for the new head coaching job. However, I look at his body of work as a whole and I will say that I would not be suicidal (as some people would appear to be) if he got the job. Rather I would be behind him 100%. He has been successful in more than just one game, winning back to back regular season and league tourney titles. He has recruiting ties to Minneapolis and Chicago. Yes his style of play is more grinding than run and gun, but that combined with great free throw shooting (UNI is 2nd in the nation) is a recipe for success in the Big 10. Too many Iowa fans are not looking at the big picture here. We have just come off the worst 3 year run of basketball in Iowa history! And the two coaching changes prior to Lick were results of the AD listening to a spoiled fanbase rather than staying the course. Our facilities (while getting better) are not up to major college standards. While Barta claims that money is no object, you must remember that the budget is not a bottomless pit that we can throw any amount of money we want and land a Calipari type big name coach. As fans I just hate to see us rule someone out because he is not Bruce Pearl. I'm not saying we have to settle, but neither should we be ruling out qualified candidates based on mid major bias.

If you want to get some top talent to come to Iowa, I think it would be unwise to go after a mid-major coach.

Bear with me in my logic - For the most part, mid-major coaches need to be better at evaluating undeveloped/underdeveloped talent. They recruit the guys that the big boys are not hitting hard and groom them to their system. For the most part, they don't get recruit big time talent. This works well in mid major programs.

Iowa is not a mid-major team. We need a coach who can recruit big time talent.

If you want to get some top talent to come to Iowa, I think it would be unwise to go after a mid-major coach.

Bear with me in my logic - For the most part, mid-major coaches need to be better at evaluating undeveloped/underdeveloped talent. They recruit the guys that the big boys are not hitting hard and groom them to their system. For the most part, they don't get recruit big time talent. This works well in mid major programs.

Iowa is not a mid-major team. We need a coach who can recruit big time talent.

Sounds like a certain football coach I know of

Latest posts