Register reports Olesoni wont play

I just got it confirmed from my brother in law who is a D1 ref that you do not sit out a second game for a flagrant 2 foul.

Such an awful call. It's unfortunate the young man ended up getting hurt, but what was Gabe suppose to do? Let the guy dunk on him?

The call was absolutely correct. Was it intentional (no) was it meant with malice (no) however two arms across chest and face will get that call every time. If he goes up with one arm/hand probably no call other than personal foul. Gabe was in a defensive reactionary position, it looked bad and resulted in the correct call. Moving on it didn't impact the game. Having an enforcer in the middle is not a bad thing.

The call was absolutely correct. Was it intentional (no) was it meant with malice (no) however two arms across chest and face will get that call every time. If he goes up with one arm/hand probably no call other than personal foul. Gabe was in a defensive reactionary position, it looked bad and resulted in the correct call. Moving on it didn't impact the game. Having an enforcer in the middle is not a bad thing.

I believe that Gabe fully intended to jump straight up (he had position) but Taylor had his hand on Gabe's face which was bad enough that it caused a scratch. It was very obvious during the many replays.

Jay Bilas would disagree

Jay Bilas @JayBilas · 18h18 hours ago

Hitting Iowa's Gabe Olaseni with a Flagrant 2 and ejection for the foul on Isaiah Taylor is absurd. What a ridiculous call.
0 replies945 retweets831 favorites Reply
Retweet945
Favorite831
More

That call was ridiculous. I see justification for a Flagrant 1 but I’m not even sure I’d go there. I don’t think anyone would debate the foul. But to say that Gabe excessively swung anything would be a drastic over statement. IMO Taylor made a stupid decision to drive as fast as he could straight into a 7 footer. Gabe did what he was supposed to do and protected the basket.

If that was a flagrant 2 foul, basketball in the Big10 is going to be hard to watch this year. They’ll be dishing out several flagrant 1 fouls in every game.

Fouls language
The panel also approved a change in nomenclature on fouls that are deemed more severe than a “common†foul in both men’s and women’s basketball. The terms “Flagrant 1†and “Flagrant 2†will now be used. A Flagrant 1 foul takes the place of an intentional foul and the Flagrant 2 foul replaces the previous flagrant foul.
An example of a Flagrant 1 foul would be when a player swings an elbow and makes illegal, non-excessive contact with an opponent above the shoulders. The team whose player was struck would receive two free throws and possession of the ball. Previously, this type of foul was called an intentional foul. The committee wanted to move away from the word “intentional,†because a player’s intent was never the point to the rule.
An example of a Flagrant 2 foul would be when a player swings an elbow excessively and makes contact with an opponent above the shoulders. In this case, the player who threw the elbow would be ejected from the game, and the other team would receive two free throws and the ball.
Other men’s and women’s basketball rules changes

• The panel approved a change regarding coaches being able to request a monitor review of flagrant fouls. In the women’s game, a coach can request a review of the monitor to determine whether a Flagrant 1 foul for elbow contact or a Flagrant 2 foul occurred. In the men’s game, the change allows coaches to request a review for a potential Flagrant 2 foul that was not detected. If it is determined that no such foul occurred in a men’s or women’s game, the team requesting the monitor review will be charged a timeout. If no timeouts remain, the team is assessed a technical foul for taking too many timeouts.
  • Another approved change centers on the rare “double foul.†In scenarios where two fouls occur of differing penalties, both fouls will be enforced. For example, Player A reaches in and commits a common foul against Player B. Player B responds with an elbow that is considered a Flagrant 1 or Flagrant 2 foul. If in the bonus, both players will shoot free throws with the lane cleared, with Team A shooting last and receiving the ball. Previously, this scenario was considered as offsetting fouls.
  • The panel approved a rules change intended to administer timeouts more efficiently. If a team does not return to the court after the first horn, officials will formally warn the team for delay of game. Any subsequent time that the team is late taking the court for play, the official will make the ball ready for play regardless of whether the team that has received a formal warning is ready. No technical fouls will be assessed in these situations.

http://www.nabc.org/rules-research/index

I would agree there was no swinging of the elbow or intent. This foul will give the rest of the league something to computer to. It will be interesting if the league mentions anything about this.

Quick question:
How is it that Gabe's was a flagrant 2 when he was obviously going for the ball, yet it was not even a foul at all when Felix rammed into Clemmons, sending him near 10 ft out of bounds?

Latest posts