Regarding Forbes.

Thawki

Whether you like Frank Martin or think he is a cheater, he is a current head coach that had no head coaching experience at the college level before taking over at KSU. He was mentored by a very good college coach in Huggins. He was known as a pretty good recruiter, obviously. He got his chance and he has proven to be a very good coach I think that still has upside.

Maybe Forbes can be the same. Take out the names Martin and Huggins and replace with Forbes and Pearl.

I'm just saying....

I've warmed up to the possibility of Forbes. It's worth a shot and if he can relate to the players and recruit those are definitely positives going forward. Positives missing for some time in this program.

I heard over last weekend, while watching K-State play, that Martin is the only coach to have never played any college bball. I can't remember if it was all coaches or just the ones in the dance.

I wish people would get off of this "big name", "sexy hire", "need to make a splash" crap. We need a good fit who will work his butt off and get some atheletes here.

Whether you like Frank Martin or think he is a cheater, he is a current head coach that had no head coaching experience at the college level before taking over at KSU. He was mentored by a very good college coach in Huggins. He was known as a pretty good recruiter, obviously. He got his chance and he has proven to be a very good coach I think that still has upside.

Maybe Forbes can be the same. Take out the names Martin and Huggins and replace with Forbes and Pearl.

I'm just saying....

From what I have read... Martin was an AAU coach and had a great relationship with Beasley. Does Forbes have any great reationships with prospects in the AAU leagues? I'm talking NBA athletes.

I get the Iowa connection and all, and he may be a good recruiter, but he is like the 2nd assistant at Tennessee, not even the "associate head coach."

Forbes is a great fall-back option, but we are talking about a Big 10 head coaching gig here not named Northwestern or Penn State.

My $ is on Marshall or Boylen, but I'd love for us to make a run at Drew from Baylor.

Forget flashy name, forget big hire, forget fan favorite. Hire a guy who can win basketball games and has enthusiasm for the job. They may not be glamorous but they are out there.

I get the Iowa connection and all, and he may be a good recruiter, but he is like the 2nd assistant at Tennessee, not even the "associate head coach."

Forbes is a great fall-back option, but we are talking about a Big 10 head coaching gig here not named Northwestern or Penn State.

My $ is on Marshall or Boylen, but I'd love for us to make a run at Drew from Baylor.

Forbes is not the associate head coach because Tony Jones came with Pearl from UWM. It is said that Pearl actively pursued hiring Forbes because of his recruiting ability and tireless work ethic. Don't forget Forbes has worked under both Billy Gillispie and Bruce Pearl. Not bad mentors if I do say so myself. He should not be a fall back option. he is number 1 in my book.

Forget flashy name, forget big hire, forget fan favorite. Hire a guy who can win basketball games and has enthusiasm for the job. They may not be glamorous but they are out there.

I'm sure everybody would be all for a guy who can win games. The problem is that we are not guaranteed wins no matter what coach is hired... flashy names or not.

There are Head coaches out their that would give Iowa almost instant credibility if they took the job, and that is something that is needed as much as good recruiting and good defense. There is a lot of major crap hanging around this program in the national perception now, some of it warranted, most of it not.
After the way Izzo railed the Iowa administration, I would be surprized if any of his former assistants would take the job, and his reaction to the firing didn't go unnoticed by many big name coaches.
Don't be too quick to dismiss what a big name hire could do. We are not guaranteed wins, great defense, or recruiting no matter who is hired; but the restoration of the national perception of the Iowa program and its far reaching implications on kids and the college basketball community, is something Barta is hoping to accomplish to some degree with this hire.

Last edited:
I like Forbes and I think he could be a good fit at Iowa. This job is not one of the better ones out there right now. We have ran off our last three coaches, attendance is down and our practice faciltiy is still on the way. Forbes is a good recruiter, he has Iowa ties, and he is interested in the job. Yes he is unproven as a head coach but, I don't see us getting a top coach at this point.

Listening to Forbes it's easy to see that the guy has all the intangibles that add up to a quality coach. He'd be a great hire for Iowa.

Whoever takes the job better fall in love with the state of Iowa. This is not the West Coast. If they don't win, and relate to the passion the fans have for the state, they will follow Raveling, Alford and Lick down the road. Forbes speaks his mind, and as long as he does not insult the fan base, but rather be sympathetic to it, he could work. Players have so much to do with it, but the coach pulls it together. If he can recruit and go out in public and shake some hands, it will mean a lot.

Latest posts