Red Shirt Question

WVHawk

With the season close to a third over and seeing this is not a team that is going to challenge for the Big Ten should they reconsider and keep Conor's red shirt on him? Can you red shirt in two sports at the same time since he is red shirting in baseball?

I don’t know the answer to your question if he can or not but I would go ahead and redshirt him with no chance at NCAA.

I’d start Dailey at the 3, sub him out early for Baer and then sub for JBo to give him 5 minutes of rest each half.

JBo 30 min/Dailey 10
Moss/Ellingson - Who knows- both inconsistent
Dailey 15, Baer 25
Nunge 25, Pemsl 15
Cook 25, Kriener 15

That’s how I would handle the rotation without Connor.

My only concern with redshirting Connor is that is another year with him on the roster. You gotta wander how PG recruits feel about competing with the coach’s son for PT.

I think at this point it's better for Connor to keep the red shirt on. If he comes back it won't take long for people to realize he's not the answer to our problems and then I think things could get really ugly for him and for Fran.

The team can use him, that's the bottom line. Just hope he hasn't lost too much weight and all his conditioning. Might be a situation where he just goes as long as he can. The goal now is to simply get better and improve as a young team. Aim to play our best ball by the Big Ten tourney time and try to make some noise.

I'm not concerned at all about whether or not Connor is on the team 4 years from now. I want to minimize the damage a horrible year could do for future recruiting. As long as he is better than Ellingson or Dailey, play him.

I'm not concerned at all about whether or not Connor is on the team 4 years from now. I want to minimize the damage a horrible year could do for future recruiting. As long as he is better than Ellingson or Dailey, play him.

Earlier in the year I thought we needed Connor. Dailey has been decent and so I think Dailey is a better defender and shooter so I’m confident he could replace the need for Connor to play this year.

Earlier in the year I thought we needed Connor. Dailey has been decent and so I think Dailey is a better defender and shooter so I’m confident he could replace the need for Connor to play this year.

But at what expense? Connor being here a 4th year?

T
I don’t know the answer to your question if he can or not but I would go ahead and redshirt him with no chance at NCAA.

I’d start Dailey at the 3, sub him out early for Baer and then sub for JBo to give him 5 minutes of rest each half.

JBo 30 min/Dailey 10
Moss/Ellingson - Who knows- both inconsistent
Dailey 15, Baer 25
Nunge 25, Pemsl 15
Cook 25, Kriener 15

That’s how I would handle the rotation without Connor.

My only concern with redshirting Connor is that is another year with him on the roster. You gotta wander how PG recruits feel about competing with the coach’s son for PT.
That is a huge reason we don't have a PG now.Fran tried. But for good reason could not get a PG cause of son.Then connor was going to play Baseball.UGLY.irony.ect.A BAD mess.My opinion on situation.Team overall must play with more desire including whole staff.

There's got to be a PG transferring out there somewhere, right? I hope I am wrong but I just don't think Conner is going to be a savior for our team like many think he is. He might be a serviceable backup but I just haven't seen where he is a breakdown type of PG.

I think at this point it's better for Connor to keep the red shirt on. If he comes back it won't take long for people to realize he's not the answer to our problems and then I think things could get really ugly for him and for Fran.

THIS. It will be real ugly for Connor, and Fran, if he plays this season. And I do NOT want to see it. Unless they somehow go on a major win streak, like 12-6 in the B1G, which seems unlikely, all of the negativity of the fan base will be directed towards Connor. All of it. Right or wrong.

Would you want that on your kid?? If Fran, or anyone that is familiar with the Hawkeye fan base, cannot recognize this, then that is a major problem. It is winter here and until Spring the fans have one major focus, basketball. It can get real ugly, real quick.

Let Dailey get the minutes and experience. He has a lot of potential. Keep playing him... Too bad he did not redshirt last year. By the time he would have been a RS Junior (now his senior season), he will be a heck of a player. He has all the skills and basketball IQ. He just needs more playing time... Give him ALL of Connor's minutes and let him develop.

Rob, if he was your kid, knowing the Iowa fan base, what would you do??

He should be recovered from Mono. Playing shape is another question. I'm assuming he has started practicing with the team again. Is that true or no??

I hope for his sake, he puts the redshirt back on. Too late to save the season - even if he could help at all at the major college level. Which is a total unknown... If he struggles in the slightest, it will be uglier than one could imagine (outside of us Hawkeye fans who understand the ridiculous negativity of our fan base).

He was practicing in non-contact drills as of Wednesday but would expect him back full go soon if he's not already.

Honestly, it's up to him on the redshirt deal. There's still more than 2/3 of the regular season to go and he's needed. He knows he'll play.

He's not a savior, but he facilitates offense and it frees up JB and BE to play off the ball.

I think if he can get back by Drake on Dec. 16, he plays for sure. If it drags on beyond that, we'll see.

Latest posts