Recruits

Frankly, it was a great game if you were a recruit. You look at Iowa's lack of talent on the field, and you are saying to yourself that you can play right away as a freshman!!!!

Not if there's someone with starting / game experience already here. You won't sniff the field 'till that guy is hurt or graduates. Not under this coach. While we've all known it to be the case, it was chiseled in stone for the entire world to see last nite.

The team deserved it....that was just pathetic. If I could talk to any recruits that were considering Iowa I would tell them to have their head examined....I grew up an Iowa fan but if I was a stud HS football player right now...I wouldn't come here.

+1. Nevermind the booing - if I was a recruit at that game, watching that pathetic performance, I would have serious second thoughts about playing at Iowa. To me, a team plays that poorly, some boos are to be expected.

Besides, everyone knows that Iowa gets invited to good bowl games (when it actually has a decent team) because of the way the fans support the team and travel to the games. So don't try and blame the program's shortcomings on the fans, because the fan support is fine. The entire notion that it's the fans, and not the coaches, that are responsible is laughable.

Most of the towel throwing was by the student section
who doesn't give a s*** because 1) they had been drinking all day, and 2) the view these players differently than us "adults". To them they are just other students, who they might share a class with or sit next to on the cambus. They don't think about the big picture.

You bring up an excellent point, but let me take that a step further. I was at Iowa when the whole Pierre Pierce debacle happened, and that brought a great deal of resentment toward student-athletes by the rest of the student body. The feeling was that they did not have to follow the same set of rules we did because they could play a sport. Most of them got a free ride while the rest of us had to pay for our education, and I've heard unconfirmed reports of players being treated to meals at the local restaurants. I had a class with Eric Steinbach, and the only time I saw him there was for exams.

I'm not saying that it's right or wrong, or that the rift between players and other students still exists a decade later. But I wouldn't be surprised if it did.

I disagree with the OP on this one. The loss or booing isn't gonna turn a recruit off. Wins and losses comes with sport. Booing comes with sport.
I would venture to say that we still did quite well with the recruits last night.
1) they're taking a visit... So they're obviously interested.
2) the atmosphere/scene there was electric.
3) the fireworks as the Hawks took the field (I think this was a huge one for the recruits to see).
4) the crowd was loud and rowdy to start off.
5) players were pumping up the crowd, waving their arms, etc (remember when Scherf went down, he was rallying the crowd whilst on the cart)
6) KF and Iowa is still a pipeline to the NFL.

We'll be fine.

As dismal as things got last night...there were also 25k fans still cheering for the defense to get off the field down 38-14 with 2 minutes to go. With the support this program has from its fans, last nights results are unacceptable. And no I didn't boo, but KF either needs to go or go back to fundamentals himself.

We've been playing at home with first place on the line each of the last two years, coming off a nice win. Each game we've been run out of our own stadium by halftime...and that doesn't include being in first place in 2010 sitting at 7-2 and ******** it down our leg at NW.

Something needs to be addressed with the head man.

As dismal as things got last night...there were also 25k fans still cheering for the defense to get off the field down 38-14 with 2 minutes to go. With the support this program has from its fans, last nights results are unacceptable. And no I didn't boo, but KF either needs to go or go back to fundamentals himself.

We've been playing at home with first place on the line each of the last two years, coming off a nice win. Each game we've been run out of our own stadium by halftime...and that doesn't include being in first place in 2010 sitting at 7-2 and ******** it down our leg at NW.

Something needs to be addressed with the head man.

Unfortunately, we are in a tight spot thanks to this contract he has through 2020, basically leaving us with one of two options:

1)Buy KF out for the remainder of his contract and then pay another guy x amount of dollars for potentially similar results.
2)Let him continue the status quo over the next eight years then ride off into the sunset.

Either way, Kurt wins and we lose. So now it comes down which scenario we are more comfortable with.

Sorry to contribute to the towel throwing epidemic if I hadn't been drinking since 1 I probably wouldn't have done it.

The team deserved it....that was just pathetic. If I could talk to any recruits that were considering Iowa I would tell them to have their head examined....I grew up an Iowa fan but if I was a stud HS football player right now...I wouldn't come here.

Hawkforce, I agree with most of your posts but I do not agree with you here. I have never and will never boo a hawk player unless they were totally go berserk and stomp and kick an opponent which I do not foresee. I am not going to boo, heckle or throw things at 18-22 year old amateur student-athletes. They are very young men doing what the coaches tell them.

These men cannot help it if they are not fast, strong, or quick enough and cant jump as high or catch and throw and tackle as well as other teams.

Booing does not help at all as the players knew they were failing. We need recruits, we need to find a couple tim dwights, a couple mo browns and cj jones, a brad banks and drew tate, play makers, like them and roth, babineux, sash and greenway.

The coaches need to get athletes.

First off all, thanks to everyone (Ghost, cliche, anyone else who mentioned me) who missed me. When I do get on the site, it's to see what you guys have to say :)

Second, I'm not blaming the fans by any means for the lack of success within the program. But I certainly don't think they're contributing. And while booing in itself isn't necessarily a huge issue to me, it's just a microcosm of the general blanket of negativity covering the fanbase that takes away from what football should be: enjoyment and support of the young athletes giving their best every Saturday.

Well put....and dead on!

QUOTE=STILLBUSTER;945106]Not if there's someone with starting / game experience already here. You won't sniff the field 'till that guy is hurt or graduates. Not under this coach. While we've all known it to be the case, it was chiseled in stone for the entire world to see last nite.[/QUOTE]

First off all, thanks to everyone (Ghost, cliche, anyone else who mentioned me) who missed me. When I do get on the site, it's to see what you guys have to say :)

Second, I'm not blaming the fans by any means for the lack of success within the program. But I certainly don't think they're contributing. And while booing in itself isn't necessarily a huge issue to me, it's just a microcosm of the general blanket of negativity covering the fanbase that takes away from what football should be: enjoyment and support of the young athletes giving their best every Saturday.

So you don't think that 70 thousand plus, filling the stadium every week, paying those ticket prices for this product are not contributing to the program? Do you realize that there are AD's all over the country that would love to have the Iowa fans?

And while booing in itself isn't necessarily a huge issue to me, it's just a microcosm of the general blanket of negativity covering the fanbase that takes away from what football should be: enjoyment and support of the young athletes giving their best every Saturday.

That's a nice sentiment and all, but I don't see it happening anytime soon. Not as long as campuses view players as commodities rather than people, and take lucrative television contracts so they can build palatial stadiums/practice facilities and pay their coaches buku bucks. Until college football stops being treated as the NFL's minor league system, nothing is going to change.

Latest posts