Recruiting

Payton34Mase13

Just a question to all of you out there...are you satisfied with Kirk's statement that we have to know WHO we can recruit and that Little Old Iowa (my statement, not his) can't get the **** and ***** guys. My question...

Does he even try?

I looked at the ESPN.com top 300 recruits (don't know how this particular list matches up with Rivals, for example), but he has only offered five of the remaining 50 recruits (so, 10% of the remaining players to sign are on the Hawkeyes' "radar"). They are a WR from Texas (#57), a RB from Texas (#102), a TE from Connecticut (#111), a S from D.C. (#159), and a OT from Maryland (#223). NONE of them have taken visits or appear to be scheduled to visit, so it appears that he is taking the proverbial pickle off the sandwich, throwing it against the window, and hoping a couple stick. Let's say this IS his approach, why not offer more? Why not offer, offer, offer, hoping that several of the players MIGHT give Iowa a second or third look? I know scholarships are limited and offers are dictated by how your teams shape up from year to year, but don't you have to ask in order to hope? Ain't like these kids are just going to look at Iowa and say, "Wow, I want to be a Hawkeye."

Just wondering out loud...I would hate to think that he doesn't go after any of those types of players just because he doesn't think he can get them. Never know if you don't try. Maybe I don't understand everything surrounding recruiting, such as the impact of test scores, academic requirements, relationships with various HS coaches in different regions, etc. But, as I see it, the more shots you take, the more chances of hitting a target.

Yes- to answer your question I think they try very very hard. Do I think they are getting results? Absolutely not. Our current talent is very bad comparatively. People point to game management and play calling (among other things), I tell you having good players and athletes will make out play calling look much much better. Do we need to change things? Yes. Is better recruiting a huge part of our problems right now? Yes, the biggest problem in my opinion. Get back to Florida and Texas. Sell our nfl player history. Sell playing time. And fill the holes with jucos. And if that doesn't work, buy nana a god damn Chrysler if you have to.

Yes- to answer your question I think they try very very hard. Do I think they are getting results? Absolutely not. Our current talent is very bad comparatively. People point to game management and play calling (among other things), I tell you having good players and athletes will make out play calling look much much better. Do we need to change things? Yes. Is better recruiting a huge part of our problems right now? Yes, the biggest problem in my opinion. Get back to Florida and Texas. Sell our nfl player history. Sell playing time. And fill the holes with jucos. And if that doesn't work, buy nana a god damn Chrysler if you have to.

YEP Nailed it

B7e571OCEAI4KVB.jpg

'certain players' may be code for athletes that expect pay for play and you know there are many out there. Cam Newton comes to mind. Some other posters have stated that the dorms athletes stay in are really bad. That could be yet another facility that needs to be addressed. If I am going to live in a Hilton compared to motel 6 for 2 years. I take the Hilton.

I think Ferentz is right, to a degree. We're not going to be Ohio State or Texas, always getting the best of the best. However, I don't think that means we can't ever get some of the 4/5* recruits. We just aren't ever going to consistently get classes that are full of them.

Not sure why everyone is all of a sudden b****ing about recruiting. I understand its ranked in the bottom half of the B1G but this will likely be our best class post-Norm/KOK (which isn’t saying much) and its only 17 commits so far. Theres a 4* and a couple Nebby/Wisky commits visiting before NSD.

It has always been one of my biggest complaints that the man tasked with selling our program to recruits always talks about how "we know we aren't a sexy program." Well no wonder none of those top recruits want to go here if that's your sales pitch.

I think Ferentz is right, to a degree. We're not going to be Ohio State or Texas, always getting the best of the best. However, I don't think that means we can't ever get some of the 4/5* recruits. We just aren't ever going to consistently get classes that are full of them.

Agreed. Iowa won't have 50 4/5* players on it's roster, but if they can at least recruit SOME of them in each class and fill in with other 3* guys that are solid with a couple other BCS-level offers (besides Iowa), then ultimately we should have a pretty good collection of players on the field. Some will be sophomores, some juniors, some seniors, maybe even a few freshmen on the field, who knows.

What Iowa needs to avoid is too many guys on the field with nothing but MAC level offers, or NO offers. Walk on's, etc.

There are a few 4* guys in next year's class from what I've seen, and the 2005 class was highly rated (yeah, I know, it was a bust, but still..). So that tells me it can be done. Just gotta crank it up a little more and maintain it.

What I DON'T want to see or hear is our coaching staff saying things about other programs with players that Iowa "doesn't have access to" like he did the other day. Hogwash. Iowa can get some of those players, just likely not in the same quantities that OSU, etc. get.

I'm ok with guys that don't have many offers if we offered them early in the process. For instance the Paulsen twins were very early offers for Iowa, and the committed early. They don't sport any other offers. They didn't camp anywhere, they didn't send out film and try to get recruited, as they got the offer they wanted and committed to Iowa.

Now the kids who get offers late in the game with no other offers, are obviously our fallback to the fallback recruits. Sure we have struck gold on some of those, but most of the time you don't

Not sure why everyone is all of a sudden b****ing about recruiting. I understand its ranked in the bottom half of the B1G but this will likely be our best class post-Norm/KOK (which isn’t saying much) and its only 17 commits so far. Theres a 4* and a couple Nebby/Wisky commits visiting before NSD.

I wasn't b****ing about recruiting...rather I am curious how hard Kirk and the staff actually go at the 4* and 5* guys. It seems that the attitude has become one of "we can't get them, so no use in trying" and focusing efforts on developing the 2* and 3* players (which worked to a great degree during the early and mid 2000s when the program was trending upward). That has worked in the past, but everyone in the conference seems to be improving, or maintaining, to some degree...difference is that another program's maintenance seems to be outpacing Iowa's maintenance. Has the idea of working hard to earn something (both with coaches and players) worn off in favor of either immediate or quick playing time (players) or conservativism (coaches) where not shooting high ensures meeting some sort of lowered expectations. I would rather see 4* and 5* players say "no" to at least begin to figure out why players like that don't come rather than simply give up on the pursuit under the impression that they will say no anyway.

If the athletes living quarters in dorms are old and not great then that would be a put off. 4 and 5* guys want the best.

OK now is the time to upgrade these rooms.

There is ZERO reason I can think of that we shouldn't be able to secure at least one or two highly ranked running backs and a handful of highly ranked lineman a year.. that's our deal.

Latest posts