Recruiting Predictions

SirJamaLot

Down the stretch they come,

Just guessing :

pt guards: Carter no, Shaq TCU, Glover yes, Hubbard no,

bigs: Katenda Notre dame or wake, Olaseni Oklahoma,

I think Fran will find another big by June hopefully an impact player like Cartwright, and keep a scholarship for next season

Not overly optimistic but I still think the Hawkeyes will improve their record next season to 500.

anyone else??

Katenda isn't really a big, but that is just an aside.

Point:I really think Iowa has cooled on Stokes, and not the other way around. Iowa will land someone, perhaps Glover, or even Mann.
Wing: Hubbard (Nebraska signed a 6-5 JUCO guard in the last few days)
Big: Olaseni - really depends on Oklahoma, right now he doesn't have an offer, and Lon Kruger is seemingly looking at everyone including Gabe to fill that last ride. If Oklahoma doesn't offer, I really like Iowa's chances.

Down the stretch they come,

Just guessing :

pt guards: Carter no, Shaq TCU, Glover yes, Hubbard no,

bigs: Katenda Notre dame or wake, Olaseni Oklahoma,

I think Fran will find another big by June hopefully an impact player like Cartwright, and keep a scholarship for next season

Not overly optimistic but I still think the Hawkeyes will improve their record next season to 500.

anyone else??

That would be pretty disappointing.

I think Glover and Hubbard are both strong possibilities, although it looks like we're battling Nebby there. Would Fran take both? Carter, no.

I agree, I don't think Olaseni or Katenda come, but would love to be wrong.

Am hopeful Fran can still land a big, and think he will.

I think they get Hubbard, Glover and one of Stokes/Carter/Olaseni.

I'd take that to go along with Oglesby and White.

Though, it wouldn't surprise me if they bank one scholarship to next year. I don't think it WILL happen, just wouldn't surprise me.

I think they get Hubbard, Glover and one of Stokes/Carter/Olaseni.

I'd take that to go along with Oglesby and White.

Though, it wouldn't surprise me if they bank one scholarship to next year. I don't think it WILL happen, just wouldn't surprise me.

Wow, that would be incredible but this time I'm trying to not set myself up for disappointment, I'm preparing myself for bad news:(

Katenda: Ship has sailed IMO. He likes ND and WF more than Iowa. Wouldn't surprise me if OU gets in the mix and he goes with Olaseni.

Stokes: Can't take him seriously if he has TCU in his top 3.

Glover and Hubbard: Sad to say, but Nebraska will get first pick, we get the leftover (maybe),

Olaseni: 50-50. Wish we had another option, as he seems to be actively seeking "other" programs.

Not a fan of banking scholarships, but maybe we get a guard and a big and save the third scholie for somebody that actually wants to be here. I would rather take that Cody Mann dude if he would be thrilled with an Iowa offer vs. some dude that settles for an Iowa offer.

I think we get Glover, Hubbard and a big that we havent heard of yet. I think Olaseni ends up a Sooner and Katenda goes to Notre Dame.

Glover and Hubbard: Sad to say, but Nebraska will get first pick, we get the leftover (maybe)

Any reason to think this, or just general pessimism.

Glover and Hubbard: Sad to say, but Nebraska will get first pick, we get the leftover (maybe)

Any reason to think this, or just general pessimism.

Players want success now, not later. Nebraska has more pieces in place than we do. You can sell potential all you want, but we won 11 games last year. This isn't a dig, just stating that to players, a 19 win Nebraska is more appealing than a 11 win Iowa. For all the love we have received from Hubbard, still no commitment. IMO, he isn't sold he wants to be here, thus my comment.

Players want success now, not later. Nebraska has more pieces in place than we do. You can sell potential all you want, but we won 11 games last year. This isn't a dig, just stating that to players, a 19 win Nebraska is more appealing than a 11 win Iowa. For all the love we have received from Hubbard, still no commitment. IMO, he isn't sold he wants to be here, thus my comment.

pretty sad state when we are battling for Nebraska's basketball leftovers.

Agreed, a lot of recruits sign during their visit or right after it, but reason for hope: good facilities, proven coaching staff, great conference with lots of tv money, Fran just needs to catch a break and find a Bob Sanders, a diamond in the rough.

I am not picking on Hubbard, but come on man. He visited when we upset # 6 Purude, fans stormed the court, Cole was worshipped during and after the game, you commented about how genuine and real Iowa people are, fans asked for your autograph, you say you love the coaching staff, think you can help, and no commitment?

He has every right to do this however he wants to, but I just don't know what kids want I guess. Maybe we need Lazy Boy to put recliners courtside instead of the 1980's folding chairs the prospective recruits have to sit on.

In all seriousness, players could take a look at the roster and decide we aren't close to being where they want to be, which is part of March Madness. With respect to Stokes, TCU has signed 1, possibly 2 NYC kids already, so it could be one of those deals.

Last edited:
Masoncity says it all. It is hard to believe we will lose basketball recruits to Nebraska. Shows just how far we had fallen under Lick. I read somewhere that the current recruits probably have no idea of just how good the Hawks were under Mr. Davis, not to mention Lute and Ralph Miller. They were ten to twelve years old, and can only see the mess Lick left. I have no idea who we will sign. We certainly need a good point guard and capable power forward or center. Fran appears to have the ability to see underdeveloped talent. His first two recruits worked out very well.

It is also somewhat strange that Stokes has TCU on his plate. Someone mentioned a good reason for that. He is an East Coast guy who probably loves the Big East Conference, just like the NCAA selection committee and the advertisers who really like the 30 million or so potential customers on the Eastern Seaboard. He probably doesn't realize that TCU will reside in the basement for a few years in the Big East. They aren't exactly a basketball school and the Big East is a murderers row of talented teams.

Nebraska does have some size returning. Three 6'11 players from Brazil, Puerto Rico and Germany and two 6'10 players from Nebraska and Kansas. I have no idea how skilled they are, but I really wish we could get one 6'10 recruit. That is a lot of size for any team.

Looks like three of their bigs contributed last year, after checking the stats.

Men's Basketball - Roster - Huskers.com - Nebraska Athletics Official Web Site

Last edited:

Latest posts